Have a pet(s)? Share a pic here! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 11-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #31
foxfish
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

We rescue them so we do have quite a few sometimes!
No sure if I would describe our channel Islands as exotic, I live in Guernsey, a small island just off the coast of France.... c'est une belle Óle de cours!

foxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #32
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

PTrader: (3/100%)

My pet at work, at work! Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1354277921136.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	58004

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
Rob in Puyallup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #33
HX67
Planted Member

A great thread, it's nice to see how we pretty much all share the love of all animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
I can't imagine how lively your home is with all those ferrets! I bet you have a blast
My thoughts exactly!

I have a roommate

He's a great assistant in the hobby

(A note: never keep a raccoon in a tank smaller than 30 gallons!)

...and especially interested in putting up a nano-reef of his own

As any good father, I have decided what he's going to be when he grows up. "We" want to be a masked retriever.
Education is well under way

Whatever has disappeared, been broken or gone terribly wrong, it's never his fault

...since believe me: God, evolution, or whatever you think is responsible for it, the 40 teeth are there for a purpose

The purpose is to KILL!
(WARNING : Very craphic violent content, not for under 18 yrs)

We do share a sweeter tooth

...and definitely the favourite pastime

Despite being a wild animal, he's got an empathic side, too.

OH MY GOD! THEY KILLED KENNY!

planethx

"I think we can make a buck on it so let's kill it."

Last edited by HX67; 11-30-2012 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: grammar
HX67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #34
foxfish
Planted Member

I just love your raccoon! He looks like a great pet .... is he a good pet?
What are the down sides?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #35
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
Hey thanks. I appreciate that. It is a lot of dedication and hard work, but pays off everytime. My Dober-boy was beside himself for a little bit when he became the only dog, but soon decided it was a good thing. One dog = more attention = happy dog. So, I bet Travis is living the life as your one and only
After saying goodbye to 6 dogs over the years I believe the dogs that are left behind go through the same grieving we do. I also feel just like us the longer the relationship they harder it is on them. Now I keep my dogs 4-6 years apart in age, I think that makes life easier for everyone involved on many levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
.....I thought about getting a Boerboel. Found a great breeder out of South Africa. (through word of mouth) Almost got the pup. Then, I decided because we take so many vacations it wouldn't be a wise move being that they are very serious about guarding the families turf when the humans are gone against pretty much anyone. What incredibly powerful dogs! There's just something about powerful breeds that have a hold on me.

What about Rhodesian Ridgebacks? Very nice too...and Thai Ridgebacks are pretty neat.
You are correct to be honest about your family's travel /absence times in relationship to owning any dog.

I wouldn't worry about having any breed for that reason. Separation anxiety is a result of improper training/conditioning in the 1st year of the dogs life. If you can train a Dobe & Pitt to pose for a picture you can raise a self confident dog that will be at peace with itself.

As far as someone checking your house & feeding the dog in your absence, even the Fila Brasileiro will accept an "extended family member" if you're willing to put in the work at an early age.

>>>We had two Rhodesian Ridgebacks in the family, Dad and younger brother. Great dogs, energy level of a Dobe. Insane endurance, great runner's dog.

I used to show in the A.R.B.A (American Rare Breed assoc.) I saw the 1st 3 Thai Ridgebacks that came to the US at a Show on the Capital Mall in Washington D.C. . Even now 5-6 generations here in the States they still are very primitive dogs, verry high prey drive and very independent.

Sorry to get off track of your thread. Dogs are a passion for me, hence the 'Dog' of DogFish. I offer Private training for Dominate breed dogs, I show, Handle, and compete. My strongest suit is conditioning. As you can see Travis has maybe 5% body fat.

Last edited by DogFish; 11-30-2012 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: content
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #36
HX67
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfish View Post
I just love your raccoon! He looks like a great pet .... is he a good pet?
What are the down sides?
Thanks, he appreciates your love.
Me too.

Despite the looks, I would have to say that he's the lousiest pet ever.
12 years of training have paid off, though. I have learned to do everything his way.

I just kinda didn't have a choise when he moved in with me. He's great and he's the worst.

Down sides...? He's a raccoon.
As a pet they might actually be closer to a python than a dog. They don't have a gene that wants to please you or be kind, at all. None.

And on the other hand, they are pretty smart and could be compared with the messiest, most paranoid, most uninterested, most short-tempered, unjust and vendictive roommate.
Life is about outsmarting.

Like a challenge?
Still, don't get one.

planethx

Last edited by HX67; 11-30-2012 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: info
Old 11-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #37
foxfish
Planted Member

Excellent, sounds just like my type of guy LOL...
No chance of me getting one where I live, I doubt if even the local zoo would get a license!
Perhaps you should try a skunk next?
Old 11-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #38
HX67
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfish View Post
Excellent, sounds just like my type of guy LOL...
No chance of me getting one where I live, I doubt if even the local zoo would get a license!
Perhaps you should try a skunk next?
Don't need a permit for these up here. You would, if they were found in the nature, locally.

I am really interested in the skunk thing. They appear to be adorable creatures. But since I hate the idea of cutting up an animal and removing vital bodyparts (the glands), will never go for it. Maybe.

planethx

Old 11-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #39
foxfish
Planted Member

All our ferrets are neutered but, it is illegal to de sent them unless there is a medical problem. They do very occasionally let one go when playing hard or meeting a cat or dog & boy they do stink...I can only imagine how bad a skunk would be but from what I have read, neutered skunks rarely use there sent glands unless they are in real big trouble?
Funnily enough I might be able to get a licensed skunk as they are breed for pets in the UK only 70 mile across the sea from us.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #40
Fizgig777
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Wonderful photos everyone!

☯ Stop by and see Tropical Haven, too.
~ Updated March 2011 ~

◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆
Fizgig777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #41
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

We had a raccoon when I was a kid. Found him as a kit when his mom got hit by a car. Mostly he lived in our tree house, but he did like to raid the kitchen! He wasn't a great pet, but he was highly entertaining (at least to us kids, not sure mom felt the same way). The woodchuck a friend of mine had in college was a lot nicer. He was super friendly and liked to snuggle up on the couch. Possum was worse. Always hissing and skulking about.

Aside from the fish and shrimp, I have nothing exotic anymore. Just a BIG dog:

Old 11-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #42
foxfish
Planted Member

English Mastiff?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #43
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
After saying goodbye to 6 dogs over the years I believe the dogs that are left behind go through the same grieving we do. I also feel just like us the longer the relationship they harder it is on them. Now I keep my dogs 4-6 years apart in age, I think that makes life easier for everyone involved on many levels.

You are correct to be honest about your family's travel /absence times in relationship to owning any dog.

I wouldn't worry about having any breed for that reason. Separation anxiety is a result of improper training/conditioning in the 1st year of the dogs life. If you can train a Dobe & Pitt to pose for a picture you can raise a self confident dog that will be at peace with itself.

As far as someone checking your house & feeding the dog in your absence, even the Fila Brasileiro will accept an "extended family member" if you're willing to put in the work at an early age.

>>>We had two Rhodesian Ridgebacks in the family, Dad and younger brother. Great dogs, energy level of a Dobe. Insane endurance, great runner's dog.

I used to show in the A.R.B.A (American Rare Breed assoc.) I saw the 1st 3 Thai Ridgebacks that came to the US at a Show on the Capital Mall in Washington D.C. . Even now 5-6 generations here in the States they still are very primitive dogs, verry high prey drive and very independent.

Sorry to get off track of your thread. Dogs are a passion for me, hence the 'Dog' of DogFish. I offer Private training for Dominate breed dogs, I show, Handle, and compete. My strongest suit is conditioning. As you can see Travis has maybe 5% body fat.
No worries! I love talking dogs That is awesome that you are a trainer/conditioner. That was a road I wanted to undertake. I was quite serious about it and would love to be a trainer. I used to train horses. Then, I moved here. So, dogs filled the space where horses once were. Since I couldn't work towards becoming a dog trainer, I got a dog of my own to work with, then another. I have worked with both in Obedience and done some agility with my Doberman. My Pitbull was not a dog that appreciated intense exersize

It's rare for me to come across someone who knows dogs. It's quite fun to chat with you because you obviously know your stuff. What made my decision not to get a Boerboel was due to the fact my husband is not involved with the pets in the home what-so-ever. So, our pack is essentially divided from a dogs point of view. Mixing that with us traveling and dog bred to gaurd the family and territory as intensley as A.B.'s are, it a mix that would have had potential for a disaster. IMO, more so than with other guarding breeds, such as the Doberman. And naturally, the intesity is different from one dog to next, because yes, they are quite like us

Now I'm off track from my own thread Maybe we should have a dog breed discussion thread
Old 11-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #44
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This thread is making me sooo happy Racoons, Lizards, cats, lil dogs, big dogs...lovin it! Where's the folks with the birds, amphibians and spiders? (not a fan of spiders personally...but some people love them!)
Old 11-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #45
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

This thread is really making me miss my cat Aires!!

Sent from a dark corner in my happy place
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird photos, cat photos, fish photos, lizard photos, pet photos