First Real Planted Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
emilmiot
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

First Real Planted Tank

I've got another thread out there about my 36 gallon bowfront, but this is the 20 gallon I kept mentioning that I needed to tear down and move upstairs. In the process I rebuilt it to be a fully planted tank. Quite happy with the results so I thought I'd share it.

Tank: 20 gallon
Substrate:
MGOPM capped with the black diamond blasting sand.

Lighting:
Two 24 watt T5 HO lights

Filter:
Fluval C2

CO2:
I bought two of the Red Sea Turbo BIO system yeast CO2 systems. I'm only using one of the diffusors but have both bottles running with the yeast mixture. Short piece of tubing, check valve on each and then teed together to a single piece of tubing up into the tank. Since these systems produce CO2 an irregular intervals as the yeast gets used up this seems to help. I alternate between the two bottles every week to change the mixture.

Decorum:
A few pieces of driftwood and some rocks from the northshore of Lake Superior

Fish:
Well, mostly an odd mix of a few fish. Two glass cats, one lone platy, two red eyed tetras, a single oto and a small pleco. I'm holding back until I get my 36 gallon done, at which point the two glass cats will move into that and then I can figure out what to do with this tank. The pleco really likes the driftwood.

Plants:
Java fern, Cryptocoryne wendtii (green) and a little bunch of Elodea.
I actually assembled this late last fall. Plants have been growing very well. I'm surprised at how fast the Java fern has filled out.

Here's hoping for similar success with my 36 gallon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1462.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	74962  

The Fraternity of Dirt #108
emilmiot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
Icegoalie32
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I like it! I haven't seen such extensive use of Java Ferns in an aquascape, but it really works well.
Icegoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.