disappearing SAE
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
seahawkshos040
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

disappearing SAE

First, let me say that i am addicted to this website. ive had aquariums on and off my entire life and just started my first planted tank a few weeks ago. ive learned so much from these forums. what a resource!

okay, so, I added 3 siamese algae eaters to my new 38 gallon planted tank. after the first day i only noticed 2. after the second day i only noticed one. now im here on day 3 and i have not seen a single sae since about noon yesterday. no signs of jumping (i.e. dead fish on the floor). My tank has tons of hiding places in terms of driftwood and plants. is it possible all three are hiding for some reason? if so ive never had such lethargic saes and i dont consider these fish to be rigidly nocturnal.

the other fish in the tank are dwarf gouramis and neon tetras.

so, are they

a) dead and rotting somewhere in my tank.
b) jumped and dog ate
c) hiding and coming out at night, or
d) i have a supernatural vortex underneath my driftwood that is sucking up algae eaters.

i also have 900 other questions but i will ease my way into these forums with this pressing matter. thanks
seahawkshos040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I go for the hiding idea!
Tried adding some algea tabs? That brings my SAE out every time. I find mine burrow under things and hang out.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
rustbucket
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Most fish when added to the tank will hide, they can really hide in a piece of driftwood if they want to. Even in my qt tank with just one piece of wood, they could still hide.

They are well known jumpers, if you have a dog that is into eating things from the floor then yes that's also a possibility.

And c) could be it too.

That being said I got three and lost two before the first week, and they didn't float to the top.
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, eater, hiding, sae, siamese