Unique Antique Aquarium - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #61
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

PTrader: (56/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
I don't know how you find all these very cool old aquariums but I'm glad there going to somebody that will appreciate them for what they are. Can't wait to see where this one goes.
Thanks

Better Living Through Chemistry
davrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #62
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (142/100%)

Somebody might have mentioned this already, but Macropodus paradise fish were among the first tropical fish kept in home aquariums and were in distribution in the late 1800's. They could be a fun option for this setup.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #63
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davrx View Post
Don't know for sure, has to be after 1880 due to the electric lights but the fountain is something from the earliest aquariums so I'm guessing late 19th. century but could be early 20th. I'm hopeful when I dismantle the two light bulb holders that I may find the manufacturer of the sockets and switch or maybe the style of the electrical components will give a better idea.
wow that is so cool
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #64
Msheresy
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I, like others had no idea that fish keeping dated so far back. I now have a new life goal to find one of these antique aquariums before I die. I love antiques and I especially love the metal. Good luck! Can't wait for finished photos!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Msheresy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 02:14 AM   #65
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msheresy View Post
I, like others had no idea that fish keeping dated so far back. I now have a new life goal to find one of these antique aquariums before I die. I love antiques and I especially love the metal. Good luck! Can't wait for finished photos!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There was one on ebay similar to mine a couple of months ago in that it was all bronze. It also had remnants of a center fountain as there was a pipe coming out of the bottom center. Someone had cut a piece of wood around the stub that still came up into the aquarium and covered that with glass and sealed it. The only way I've been able to find these tanks is from the internet. They're just so rare that the chances of coming across one in person by accident are probably like winning a lottery. I do know where you can get one just like my Victorian tank. PM me if you're interested. His is all original but will need to be restored if you plan to use it.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:36 AM   #66
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

if you go to that big online auction site and search for

Jewel Cast Iron Art Deco Fish Tank

You'll see someone has a partial Jewel frame. Starting is $400. Buy it Now is $750. Interesting price range for some metal.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #67
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbosman@msu.edu View Post
if you go to that big online auction site and search for

Jewel Cast Iron Art Deco Fish Tank

You'll see someone has a partial Jewel frame. Starting is $400. Buy it Now is $750. Interesting price range for some metal.
Yeah, I saw it. I have the same tank but mine has all the original glass. Problem with restoring that one is that the bulb edge glass that was originally used hasn't been made for over 50 years and I could never find any large enough to restore a tank like that. I think it's way overpriced for just being the frame.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #68
Jules
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

What epoxy product(s) do you use for coating the restored brass and copper? I currently use Permalac, but you clearly know what you're doing and I'm always up to learn better methods.

Will you be posting updates to this thread as you restore this tank?
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #69
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
What epoxy product(s) do you use for coating the restored brass and copper? I currently use Permalac, but you clearly know what you're doing and I'm always up to learn better methods.

Will you be posting updates to this thread as you restore this tank?
I used West Systems marine epoxy on my Victorian but I'll look into Permalac. I'm always open to new better ways of doing things. I will be posting updates but probably nothing until next year as the holidays are coming up and I also have firewood to make.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #70
paybackranch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangrila View Post
When I find an old Metaframe I get excited. If I found something like this I'd have a heart attack!
Imagine what you'd do if someone gave you an aluminum Christmas tree!!! :-)
paybackranch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #71
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)

There is a very cool 1920 aquarium w/ stand on that auction site right now for $8,500. The item # is 200416428094. I have never seen one with a stand like that before. It's beautiful.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #72
jarvitron
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My two cents - I recommend you do whatever you want to it because it's yours and not anybody elses. Ruin it with awesomeness! Great find, such an amazing tank.
jarvitron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #73
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I know that a bunch of people have given you advice on what to do and I think you should do whatever you want. I don't know much about furniture or antique fish tanks but I know a lot about cars. There are 3 ways to keep cars valuable and I think each philosophy would be an appropriate way to look at the tank.

Original-Keep it as is. Original is only a good idea if the condition is right. I can not tell how good it will look original but you would only do a basic clean up and fix any problems that prevent it from working.

Restored-Restore it to it's original glory. Depending on condition, that may mean getting it polished or replated. Glass would be replaced where not reusable and sealed cosmetically correctly, even if you used a more modern sealant.

Restomodded-Restored and modified. This is, for many, the best of both worlds but in the car world, only valuable when done to a very high standard. I would think you would want to replace all glass with high clarity, reseal to a very high standard. Replate the tank if polishing won't be enough. Clear powder coat it to bright it up to today's standards so no water chemistry issues will arise. Powder coat the stand part and redo any wood.

I just think using one of the 3 philosophies above will get you the best experience without guilt. Again, I don't know how that would affect value but if you did sell, I would think someone would appreciate any of the 3, as long as it was done to a high standard, and would be willing to pay good money.

That's wack about American Restoration. My GF and I thought about going on a show when we purchased a house as we thought it would be fun but only if it was for financial benefit. We found very quickly that it was really setup for those who just wanted to be on TV, any financial gain or other sponsor involvement was absolutely minimal. It would have cost us more money to be on the show than to not be, not that we were ever accepted, just though it would have been fun but it didn't turn out to be a great idea for people who don't want 5 min of fame.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 04:17 AM   #74
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
There is a very cool 1920 aquarium w/ stand on that auction site right now for $8,500. The item # is 200416428094. I have never seen one with a stand like that before. It's beautiful.
Yes, I found this several months ago, I'd love to have it but that's way out of my league.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:22 AM   #75
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvitron View Post
My two cents - I recommend you do whatever you want to it because it's yours and not anybody elses. Ruin it with awesomeness! Great find, such an amazing tank.
Thanks, so true.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.