The Planted Tank Forum banner

Assassin snails in a high CO2 environment

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  AUvet14 
#1 ·
Is there any particular reason that I can't seem to keep assassins alive in my high CO2 environment? I've got a 30 gallon with pressurized CO2 with drop checker lime green. I have gotten several of them but they seem to turn up dead after a couple weeks to a month or two. This last group of 6 that I got, I acclimated them with my Amano shrimp by starting with a low bubble count and gradually turning it back up over the course of a week or two. The Amanos seemed to handle this very well as I did not have any deaths after one died over the first night, before CO2 was even turned on. The assassins seemed to do fine for a little while but gradually over the past month or two, I've found one dead here and there, never all at once. I now have only 1 left. I know they have good. There are plenty of tiny ramshorns for them to feast on. Anyone have any ideas?

#4 ·
I add NaHCO3 to try to prevent drastic pH swings and keep pH from dropping too low. I also add a little water hardener each week, just enough to make sure the water is mineralized since I've got soft water here. Idk if assassins need a particular amount of Ca in the water. If it's simply that they don't do well in low pH, then Idk that there's much I can do about that...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.