Sometimes, the internet is just plain useless.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 11-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Sometimes, the internet is just plain useless.

I googled around looking for tips on having multiple jobs without a car. Honestly, I'm not sure what I was looking for, since I have the bus schedule in my lap (it sucks, by the way), and biking in a foot of Michigan snow doesn't appeal to me... The first "idea" the internet gave me, was moving somewhere where there were more jobs more closely together.

Thanks, internet. You're a doll.

So I tried 'multiple jobs in college' and got a hundred articles on having second jobs AFTER college. Well that's helpful paying rent NOW.

Google, you're just killing me with amazing advice.

So finally I just went on Craigslist, searched the street names where the buses I know run semi-regularly. And it looks like my options include forging a nursing license, forging a cosmetology license, or learning how to work an arc welder. Wut?

I shouldn't be surprised. I do this probably six or seven times a month--go on a second-job-hunt in desperate attempt to find a way to start something that resembles a savings account--and it's never fruitful. Its just that I looked up a dealership that's nearby whose marquee reads "$88 Down $88/Month", which would be do-able if I'm careful, but all of their google reviews say that their salesmen are liars and con men. So. I started looking at doing something more without a car again. But since I don't live super close to the bus lines anyway, my commute anywhere is going to start at the 20 minute walk TO the bus in the first place.

The good news is, our new landlords just put in better internet at the apartment, so tonight I can listen to terrible 90s pop at top volume while I access the library's online database to research the Lakota for my paper due next week.

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Silmarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Have you considered inventing a PT job.

When I was in college, I worked two summers as a tree trimmer. I took my climbing gear and saws to school. When I need cash I'd find a house with big trees with dead branches and offer to remove them for cash. I looked for tress big & tall enough that the home owners realized it was too dangerous for them to climb vs. me a College student. I knew how to bid work from my summer job so it was easy for me to low ball bid the professional companies.

I had friends that typed papers, cleaned bathrooms, clean up after parties. I knew one girl that did laundry another walked dogs.

The trick is finding a service to provide with very low overhead/investment on your side that can scheduled on your terms.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've considered it, yeah, but I'm terrified of people finding me liable for something and suing me for all I've got because I misrepresented something somehow :| Plus there's the fact that I really don't know what my time is worth for something like that, you know?

I keep typing up a little advert for proofreading papers, intending to print it out or put it on craigslist, but I just know I'd get people trying to sue me because they didn't get an A on something, despite the comma work being flawless. Maybe I just have too little faith in humanity.

But transportation really is an issue, or I'd probably have picked up babysitting by now (my cousin and my roommate both nanny with the same service). I'm alright with kids, but I don't want to be responsible for a kid's life or something like that. *zero self-faith* haha.

I did just apply to both of the Starbucks that are on the bus route closest to me--neither more than thirty minutes total commute. That's not unreasonable, I don't think, I'm just worried about the hours I can work, and if I'm put on evenings and miss the last bus back, I don't know who I would call to pick me up... Eh, it's only a couple miles walk. In the dark. In winter. In Ypsi. >_>

Anything to get me off the 4AM Wednesday mornings, though. If I had planned so that ALL of my shifts were the 4am ones, I'd be fine, because I could just shift my whole sleep schedule. But no. It's just one day a week that I'm a zombie for a day and a half while I recover

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Old 11-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

I think you might be over thinking the whole idea of creating a service type job. For your labor find out what a professional company might charge for labor and you bill out at a price they will not match.

If the going rate to proof a paper is $20 you ask $15. Tell your 1st 5 customers if they refer you to 3 people that hire you they get their $15 back but they have to keep it on the down low. Repete with the 2nd group of 15. Now you'll have 20 'salespeople' helping you get your name out.

I'd highly suggest you search out guys too as they are going to be much more likely to have you help them.

Go to sports bars and hand out flyers to guys.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:46 AM   #5
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had been thinking to charge by length of the paper, like $5 for the first five pages, then $.75 per page after that? I just don't trust people to pay me, and I don't think they'll use me if I ask for payment up front.

Although handing out fliers at bars would be genius. We've got a handful of bars in walking distance for me, that would be totally do-able. I'm just not sure... *paranoidparrot*

In other news, my dad just emailed me a link to a used car dealer near where he is. Not a single car listed on the site is over 9500. Not a single car is newer than 2002, but you're not going to find a car for four figures that is. Looking at a taurus and a sable, both under 3k... Plus a jag for 3500 If dad is serious, then I'm going to actually take the time to bus out to the mall and put in applications for seasonal work and Macy's, Teavana, Sears, and so on, plus walk around A2 and apply at all the resturaunts and cafes that have signs in the wndow (there's about a half dozen right now, it's just too long of a bus ride to make it worth it).

Old 11-28-2012, 02:26 AM   #6
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

I think you'll find most people are honest. Part of that networking plan about is the very relationship aspect. Very few people are going to refer someone that may embarrass them. When you meet people chat with them a little, if you get a bad feeling just don't accept their job.

One way to deal with the money thing is to use PayPal.

Take the paper, do the work, contact the customer, then after they pay you, turn over the paper. If you do it all online even better.

On the flyers try to find guys in a frat or on a team, swimming, wrestling, hockey etc. or in a clubs. They will tell all their friends.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:42 AM   #7
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh, see, I was going to try and do everything online/via email. I don't have the time/energy to be running all over kingdom-come to meet people and discuss papers. It's a good fifteen minute walk to campus for me, and I already make the trip twice a day most days. If it was going to work out, I was planning on spending my shifts at the computer lab doing the editing, since most days I spend literally fifteen minutes out of the four hours I'm there refilling printers and answering questions. The rest of the time is spent on facebook or forums. I do homework some days, but we're not technically allowed to have our books and binders out on shift, and I primarily work where the boss-man can walk out and see me breaking rules at any given time, haha.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:59 AM   #8
GraphicGr8s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silmarwen View Post
I had been thinking to charge by length of the paper, like $5 for the first five pages, then $.75 per page after that? I just don't trust people to pay me, and I don't think they'll use me if I ask for payment up front.

Although handing out fliers at bars would be genius. We've got a handful of bars in walking distance for me, that would be totally do-able. I'm just not sure... *paranoidparrot*

In other news, my dad just emailed me a link to a used car dealer near where he is. Not a single car listed on the site is over 9500. Not a single car is newer than 2002, but you're not going to find a car for four figures that is. Looking at a taurus and a sable, both under 3k... Plus a jag for 3500 If dad is serious, then I'm going to actually take the time to bus out to the mall and put in applications for seasonal work and Macy's, Teavana, Sears, and so on, plus walk around A2 and apply at all the resturaunts and cafes that have signs in the wndow (there's about a half dozen right now, it's just too long of a bus ride to make it worth it).
Surest way to get screwed is not to take a deposit. It's pretty much expected. We don't do anything without a deposit and on some things it's full payment upfront. If a person has reservations about a deposit they probably won't pay anyway. Let em walk.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:38 AM   #9
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

I figured half-then-half would be fair enough, but that all still sort of falls back to my wanting to do it all online and stuff. Eh. I'm kind of thinking I'm not going to worry about it until this weekend. I'll take tomorrow to find out where dad stands on the car issue, and if I'm actually getting something before Christmas, I'm just going to start flinging applications at every store that might be possibly hiring holiday help. If it looks like it won't be until after Christmas, I'll do the paper thing, and see what else I can come up with that's not the 'Vu, because that's what all my (male) friends IRL are suggesting

I'm trying to think, though... What part-time jobs would have evening hours but still give me the right sort of experience for your average 9-5? I guess a lot of it is in how you apply what you learn, but it'd be nice to have some experiences that match a job description down the road.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:08 AM   #10
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Don't take this personally, ok? This reddit post produced some of the most creative ideas I've seen in a long time, and I think you might at least enjoy it if not get some tips yourself.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/co...ter_prison_no/
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, I admit hard labor isn't quite the career path for a wisp of a chick like me, but that certainly was an interesting read. I've considered going back into food service, but I had something of a bad experience at the uni cafeteria. I'm sure working in a real resturaunt would be better, but in the meantime, I'm going to cross my fingers for a bit lighter of a job..

Old 11-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Here are a couple of books to look for at your library or inter library loan.

http://www.amazon.com/Muddling-Towar...ward+frugality

http://www.amazon.com/How-Survive-Wi...thout+a+salary

They might help stimulate your thoughts.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #13
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

You may not like food service but sometimes you do what you have to do. I've had jobs where I had to ride my bike in the winter, work outside or take a bus then walk 40mins to get to the workplace, rain, snow, you do what you have to do sometimes. Most people don't like their jobs, it's part of life. It wouldn't be called a job if it was funny happy puppy rainbows, it's be called get paid for fun happy puppy rainbow time.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #14
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

But I don't like puppies?

I'm not saying I'd lose my apartment before I worked food service again--and like I said, I did apply to Starbucks, as well as Noodles just a bit ago. It's just not my preference, and unfortunately when a job goes from "Meh, I don't like it, but I get paid so I'll do it" into "If I have to listen to one more [insert the gravest insult you can conceive of here] ask me for a potato one more time (We hadn't carried them for over a year at this point), I will kill myself," that's a sign that "just doing your job" is unhealthy. I will make-do on what I'm getting at the computer labs before I make myself suicidally miserable for the sake of money.

I am fortunate enough that my parents haven't cleared out my room at home, yet, so if worse comes to worse, I can move back home and continue my job search from there. No amount of pride is worth being physically unable to look at yourself in the mirror because you're sick of your life.

That being said, I'm crossing my fingers for Sbx or Noodles. Noodles employees get a 20% discount as long as they're not on shift. I'd get so fat, so fast. *tears of noodly joy* Any they use like, 95% fresh ingredients, so no more spending half hours in the stock freezer hauling out and reorganizing fried frozen chicken.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:58 AM   #15
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Good luck!
SpecGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote