SpiroGyra Algae
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 02-12-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
workn4frags
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Unhappy

SpiroGyra Algae

I've got some SpiroGyra algae growing on some of my more prized plants. Does anyone know of a sure way to get rid of it.

I did a 5 day BlackOut last week and it didn't take care of it.

Specs.
Newly set up, I let the AS cycle for 2 weeks with several 50-90% H2O changes before adding any plants with the exception of UG.
95% R.O. - 0 - 1 TDS coming out of R.O. unit
40g pressurized c02
4x39w T5 lights - 8hrs.
AS
only dosing potassium to help keep algae down.

Thanks

Old 02-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)

There's a brief removal guide on http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm for spirogyra.

Good luck!
epicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
workn4frags
Algae Grower

Thanks,
I saw that, but missed the part about the Rosy Barbs.

Do you know if Amano Shrimp eats this stuff? I was told to try them also.

Thanks again
Old 02-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

I know amanos eat cladophora. I've never tried them with spirogyra. I DO know they will nip at plants if they get hungry enough. Probably worth a try if all else fails (lighting, fertilizer control, etc...)
Old 02-12-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
workn4frags
Algae Grower

I am going to try another Blackout with bigger h20 changes starting this weekend. Don't want to overdose excel as I have Erios and Toninas in this tank.

I really don't want Rosy Barbs in the tank either...

Thanks
Old 02-12-2009, 10:55 PM   #6
ZooTycoonMaster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Try sucking up some Flourish Excel in a syringe and squirt it on the affected area(s) with the filter off. Do this for a couple days until it dies; you can also get some Amano Shrimp to eat it once its dead.
Eheim Pimp #341

ZooTycoonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
workn4frags
Algae Grower

I was told Excel did not work on this type of algae, have you seen this work? Sadly it is hitting my Erios and Toninas the most, and I was told they don't like Excel O.D.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:06 PM   #8
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by workn4frags View Post
I was told Excel did not work on this type of algae, have you seen this work? Sadly it is hitting my Erios and Toninas the most, and I was told they don't like Excel O.D.
I've also read that an Excel OD has only a negligible effect on spirogyra. Never hurts to try though on any spirogyra that's not sitting too close to any Tonina sp. or Eriocaulon sp.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:07 PM   #9
imeridian
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian

If we're working on the assumption that the hair algae I had was spirogyra, then Excel does seem to work fairly well at high dosages when combined with high dosage H2O2 also. I used 1ml/gal Excel and 2ml/gal H2O2 at the same time for two days, it incinerated any Excel sensitive plants like suBwassertang & riccia, but did not appear to negatively effect the fish; as always, use at your own risk.

FWIW, the blackout/large water change process only served to exacerbate the problem in my tank. It was not until I vaporized the algae with chemical warfare and followed it up with substantially upping the CO2, did I have any success in beating it back.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:20 PM   #10
workn4frags
Algae Grower

I will try the Excel on some that is not on my Tonina/Erios and post back my experience.

I am also cutting back on the lights to about 5-6 hrs. and using only 2 of the 4 bulbs for awhile. If that doesn't work I will try another BlackOut with everything mentioned here.
Amanos
Excel
RosyBarbs
more H20 changes

Thanks for the help everyone.
Vince
Old 02-12-2009, 11:43 PM   #11
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

I had this in my 20 and indigo had it in his 75. It was so hard. I couldn't get it to go away with raised co2, excel, ammano's, sae's, h202 or manual removal. I took out a bunch of plants which got rid of it mostly. In the end I wound up breaking that tank down.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #12
workn4frags
Algae Grower

Well I took out a bunch of the SpiroGyra and placed it into a 2oz plastic cup, I added about 5ml of Excel and after about 4 hrs. it still looks as green as in the tank. I don't think Excel will do anything.

I am going to try and raise the temp to about 82 for a couple days to see if that does anything. Just grasping at straws now.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #13
MrJG
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)

Much luck man. Sadly my 20 long is afflicted with this stuff too and its just nasty.
Already done a complete tear down to clean/dip plants individually in H202 and Excel (albeit a rather quick dip for most things). Stuff just comes right back. I have toninas and pogostemons in the tank as well so I'd rather not nuke it with chemicals if possible. Going to get it cleaned up as much as possible this evening and try the blackout method then run lean on ferts and drop the lighting to like 2-3 hours a day after that before I give up.
Just kills me that everything is growing so well, dosing is on target, CO2 is stable @ ~30ppm but I can't shake it. I had it before the tear down but I more than likely made the problem worse by adding some fresh aquasoil back in during the re-scape.
MrJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #14
workn4frags
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJG View Post
Much luck man. Sadly my 20 long is afflicted with this stuff too and its just nasty.
Already done a complete tear down to clean/dip plants individually in H202 and Excel (albeit a rather quick dip for most things). Stuff just comes right back. I have toninas and pogostemons in the tank as well so I'd rather not nuke it with chemicals if possible. Going to get it cleaned up as much as possible this evening and try the blackout method then run lean on ferts and drop the lighting to like 2-3 hours a day after that before I give up.
Just kills me that everything is growing so well, dosing is on target, CO2 is stable @ ~30ppm but I can't shake it. I had it before the tear down but I more than likely made the problem worse by adding some fresh aquasoil back in during the re-scape.
After the blackout I didn't think it worked, I have noticed that a large portion of it is gone. I am doing 50% R.O. h2o changes every 3 days now. dosing 50% less ferts, actually just potassium and cutting the lighting cycle back to 6 hours only running 2 of the bulbs. I get my Amanos this weekend and hope to see them help with this. The next step is the Rosy Barbs.

I have taken some infected cuttings and placed them into a couple of really cycled nanos and the SpiroGyra algae is gone. I don't know if it's because of the maturity of the tanks or the Endlers picking at it. I know this thread needs some pics and I will work on that today.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #15
MrJG
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)

Yea someone mentioned amanos... I have 3 large amano tanks in this system along with a bunch of yellow neocardina sp . Either they are fed well enough or they can't keep up with it.

Are you doing R/O just to cut down available nitrates etc with the water changes?

As far as pics go I popped this one in my last journal update, so tired of seeing this stuff:
MrJG is offline   Reply With Quote