otocinclus precautions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
fishkeeper01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

otocinclus precautions

What should I test for/monitor about a month before purchasing otocinclus, because i know they are very delicate fish and i just want to take the right precautions.
fishkeeper01 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
CytoEric
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I'm not sure that you need to test for anything necessarily, as long as your tank is fully cycled. The only suggestions I can make are to be sure that you have a food source for them (enough algae or a supplemental source) and also to acclimate them slowly (I drip acclimate mine). That is all I do, and I've never had one die...
CytoEric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
kkoch
Algae Grower

Definitely a cycled tank and food source. My Ottos have been doing well after about 2 months. They love cleaning the live plants and glass on the sides of the tank. I supplement with algae wafers that they like also. The wafers are also a source of food for my Pleco and Rabauti Corys.
2 Glass Cats
1 Spotted Raphael Catfish
1 Dwarf Bristlenose Pleco

25G_Tank
kkoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
c_gwinner
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

As mentioned above with cycling and food source. I think the first step for getting them to survive is getting a good source, or at the least making sure they have been at the LFS for close to a week so that the stressed ones can be weaned out. When you do get some be sure to slowly drip acclimate them and keep them in the dark so they don't become too stressed.

Go for it and you will love them in return. Don't be surprised if some don't make it, its all in the distributor for the most part.

Canon Pimp Club #094
c_gwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
CytoEric
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_gwinner View Post
I think the first step for getting them to survive is getting a good source, or at the least making sure they have been at the LFS for close to a week so that the stressed ones can be weaned out..
This is important too. Petsmart/Petco don't really have the setup to keep otos happy. We don't have any LFS in my area, so I don't have any choice but to shop there. The Petsmart down the road doesn't clean the glass in their Oto tank in an effort to give them a food source, I don't know how well it works. I waited until the day before the new shipment came in to get my group and they all survived and are doing well. If you're buying from a local store instead of a chain, they may be able to take better care of the otos from the moment they arrive...
Old 11-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates, if the tank isn't cycled. It wouldn't hurt to test ammonia and nitrates every month.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I bought 3 more this time to replace the 5 that died that a long time ago all where bought from Petsmart. The prior group may have died from starvation, I never really saw them around.

The current 3 I have have fat bellies, the only thing I notice is the upgraded lighting grows patches green algae on the glass where as before I just had brown algae and lower lightning. It probalby grows back faster than they can eat it in a 55G.
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)

Buying from a good source is very important. Make sure the store has had them for at least a couple weeks and that they are healthy.
\_\
Axelrodi202 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #9
garfieldnfish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

When you buy them look for otos with a rounded belly. If you can't see that ask when they are feeding their fish and return then to see which fish eat and make sure you get them or at least one of them that eats.
Otos are strange. But if you have one older oto in your tank and you get new ones they tend to do better then if you introduce a group of new otos on their own. It seems that the resident oto tells the others what is good to eat. If there is not enough algae in the tank (the natural food for them) then it may take a resident otos to tell them zucchini is ok.
20g L174/L46/RCS/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs, 10g blue bees, 10g CRS, 15g L316/L46/Amano shrimp, 10g black darter tetras/CPDs/micro rasboras,15g ADFs/clown plecos, 25g L134s/CPDs/otos, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/zebra otos, 46g CAE/L134s/CPDs/salt and pepper corys/BNs, rubberlip pleco, 55g SAEs/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/mix of old fish folk, 30g L340s/L211/tangerine tiger shrimp, 10g tangerine tiger shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys/RCS
garfieldnfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 01:03 AM   #10
fishkeeper01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So other than algae wafers what are good supplemts to give them?
Also how many could go in a 10g? With 5 female bettas?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:12 AM   #11
BriDroid
Planted Tank Obsessed

Mine eat zucchini like it's going out of style. They also eat Hikari algae wafers. I have 15 of them in my 72. They come from all corners of the tank when zucchini hits the water!
BriDroid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 01:22 AM   #12
garfieldnfish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Green peas and French cut green brean or other oto food that otos "know".
20g L174/L46/RCS/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs, 10g blue bees, 10g CRS, 15g L316/L46/Amano shrimp, 10g black darter tetras/CPDs/micro rasboras,15g ADFs/clown plecos, 25g L134s/CPDs/otos, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/zebra otos, 46g CAE/L134s/CPDs/salt and pepper corys/BNs, rubberlip pleco, 55g SAEs/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/mix of old fish folk, 30g L340s/L211/tangerine tiger shrimp, 10g tangerine tiger shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys/RCS
garfieldnfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 02:50 AM   #13
Hmoobthor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

i kept otto for a year now and never have i seen one eat algae wafer until now. ...but they one that eat it was a larger subspecies of the oto...

for them to survive ...algae on the glass wall is helpful...lol
Eheim Pimp Club #506
Hmoobthor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 04:56 AM   #14
fishkeeper01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

could i fit 3 in a 10g w/5 bettas

Last edited by fishkeeper01; 11-28-2012 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: cuz can
Old 11-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #15
CytoEric
Algae Grower

That seems like quite a lot of fish to put in a fairly small tank...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.