12 Gallon Reboot Learning Experience - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-18-2012, 04:07 AM   #16
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

It looks great. Yeah MM grows pretty slow, I have only grown 3 new nodes in a week.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 04:10 AM   #17
jarvitron
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Some of it (an incredibly small amount) is connected now, but the weights aren't enough to really get it to take hold, you should pull the DW out, pull the weights off, and use some fishing line to really really twine/smush the moss on there eight or so good loops spaced out even-ish. Moss will only connect to the DW where there's contact, it's not really like rooting where the plant root seeks nutrients, it just attaches if it's touching for long enough, and the more intentional points of contact you make between the moss and the wood the better.

Last edited by jarvitron; 12-18-2012 at 04:12 AM.. Reason: clarifying verbeagese
jarvitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #18
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
It looks great. Yeah MM grows pretty slow, I have only grown 3 new nodes in a week.
That sounds about right. I am getting some new nodes here and there. I don't mind that it's slow. My stems and jungle val are crazy fast, so I have enough to trim already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvitron View Post
Some of it (an incredibly small amount) is connected now, but the weights aren't enough to really get it to take hold, you should pull the DW out, pull the weights off, and use some fishing line to really really twine/smush the moss on there eight or so good loops spaced out even-ish. Moss will only connect to the DW where there's contact, it's not really like rooting where the plant root seeks nutrients, it just attaches if it's touching for long enough, and the more intentional points of contact you make between the moss and the wood the better.
I kind of feared that was the case. The driftwood cannot be removed without destroying the entire aquascape. All the aqua soil behind it would roll down and burry the MM MQ. All of the plants behind it would come out. It'd doable I guess, but it would be a giant mess. The driftwood is holding back a lot of substrate like a retaining wall.

Maybe I could get longer lead weights and then wrap them over the top and bottom edge (right now they are just wrapped over the top edge). Or better yet, I could probably do that with thin stainless wire instead, and then get many more holding it in place without blocking so much light. Basically clamp it to the DW with the stainless wire. Hmmmm... You got my wheels turning.

Last edited by AnotherHobby; 01-10-2013 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: corrected plant name
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #19
jarvitron
Algae Grower

If the DW has voids in it you could use the stainless wire loops, poked around and tightened like some twist ties around it. Actually if it has voids in it, use the stainless wire to poke some of the moss down into the void, where it'll take hold on all sides. Good luck! My moss is some of the prettiest stuff in my tank, even if it isn't all tied down right now.
jarvitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:47 AM   #20
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Unfortunately, I don't think the DW has any voids, or least any big enough. Good ideas though!

Nitrites are down to .25ppm tonight! I suspect fish and shrimp can go in the next couple of days. We'll see how the tests look. I can't wait!

Officially 3 weeks on Jello CO2 and appear to be going strong. That's already 50% longer than sugar water. I'm happy, but I'm hoping for 1 more week. The idea of only making a mix once per month using Jello is what got me to jump on the DIY CO2 to begin with.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:10 AM   #21
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Fish & Shrimp are in!!

Yesterday nitrites were down to just .25 ppm, and today nitrites hit zero. I did two 50% water changes (75% total) to remove the nitrates, and then moved the fish and shrimp into their new home!

Currently stocked light: 6 neon tetras, 3 rummy nose tetras, and about two dozen shrimp. The shrimp are mostly cherries, but there are some unidentified ones and a big amano. I'm thinking of adding a few more of each tetra.

Exploring their new home:

I tried to design the aquascape to encourage them to hang out in front over the MM MQ carpet. It's working! They naturally gravitated right to where I wanted them to go! I also created a pocket back near the heater with a flat rock where nothing can grow, so they have a place to hide. There are a few hanging out back there right now too. It's fun to see them go to the places you made for them.

Berried cherry!

I have NO idea what kind of shrimp this is. Any input is appreciated.

I don't know what this one is either:

Last edited by AnotherHobby; 01-10-2013 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: corrected plant name
Old 12-22-2012, 03:59 AM   #22
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

At 23 days today, the CO2 had really slowed down this afternoon. I gave it a jiggle after work to see if that would give it some pep, and then I went out to meet some friends. I got home 5 hours later at 10:30 and it's even slower and the drop checker is starting go blue.

I decided to pour off about 75% of the booze and add some water back in to lower the alcohol content. I could have good a good buzz off what I poured out — very high alcohol. It smelled exactly like cherry champagne.

There is still 25% jello or so left in the container. If it's not going strong by morning I'm going to swap in my next mix, which is already made.

I'm also quite pleased that in just 24 hours my team of shrimp have meticulously cleaned most of my plants. Wow! Quite a cleanup crew!
Old 12-26-2012, 02:23 AM   #23
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

The jello was just barely going on Saturday morning. I think I was just messing with it too much, and lost all the pressure in the line, which takes hours to build back up. Anyway...

I fired up the next bottle of Jello and hooked it up inline. It took a while to get going, and basically the tank got no CO2 on Saturday. The second jello mix is now going strong, and the first jello mix is also going well again.

Now with 2 jello reactors, the drop checker is clearly yellow in the morning:

The fish are not reacting negatively and seem to be just fine. It was like this Sunday, Monday, and this morning. It goes pale green a little bit after the lights come on, and then full green by the end of the day. Like I said, the fish are acting fine, but I also can't help but feel like I'm walking on a tight rope. Also, my plants took off again once both reactors were going strong, which leads me to believe it's been weak for the last week or so.

All of this has led me to the decision to build my own regulator and go pressurized. DIY works, and it's cheap! However, I'm not so impressed with consistency. Right now I'm trying to track all the parts down.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:57 AM   #24
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Purchased so far...

A Linde stainless dual stage regulator 0-100 working pressure:

And a Parker Hannifin H3L metering valve:

Hunting down a solenoid and the rest of the parts. Noticed some BBA growing on my vals, and I can only assume this is due to the inconsistent delivery of DIY CO2. I trimmed it all out.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #25
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

Really pretty little gem of a tank!
Old 01-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #26
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

All is going mostly well. I have a total of 4 berried cherry shrimp! I decided to move them into my other temporary 10 gallon tank that's still running. I don't want the babies to be eaten up by the tetras.

DIY CO2 is going strong. The original jello mix is actually still running (almost 5 weeks), and it's in tandem with the new one that I started a week and a half ago. I still think the inconsistent nature of DIY CO2 is what's causing my BBA. I also noticed that the BBA only grows on my jungle val. I should have pressurized CO2 up and running in the next two weeks. Most of the parts are already here.

The Christmas moss just isn't doing well. Most of it is brown, and I'm not sure why. The only thing I can think of is that it was all just trimmings. None of the pieces of it were more than maybe 1-2 inches. Could that be it?

The rest of the tank is looking quite good and requires weekly trimmings:

All of the carpet is doing well, and I'm really happy that the pogostemon helfiri (downoi) is also doing very well.

I love sitting in my favorite chair, right by the tank, and just staring into it. It's a happy place.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:52 AM   #27
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

As I prepare for pressurized CO2, I made some stand modifications. As it stands, the height of my lower shelf only has enough height for a 2.5 lb cylinder. However, by making a hole in the shelf to sink the cylinder into, I made enough room for a 5 lb one, and it also holds it firmly in place so it cannot get knocked it over.

Furthermore, I sunk it 6" deep so that I can see the dials and adjustments without crouching way down. As you can see, the regulator is not complete yet, but I'm all ready to go when it is. You can also see that I need to poly the lower shelf, although I can't do that until spring.

As low as I sunk it, you could see the lower support stick out below from probably 6-8 feet away, but my chair completely blocks the view so it doesn't matter. If my chair wasn't there, I probably would have only sunk it 3" instead of 6" deep.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:18 AM   #28
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Overall, the growth is still really good. It's fun to look back at pictures from earlier to see how much it's grown in just 6 weeks! Every single plant is doing well. I still have some BBA going on and a little GSA, but it's not bad, and I suspect will get better when I go to pressurized CO2.

I decided to pull my anubias nana from this tank and propagate some of the marsilea minuta quadrifolia in it's place (where it's thin on the far right in this pic). I have 3 corydora pandas that kept knocking the nana loose from the substrate. Front view (post water change, so it's bubbly):

A close up of the MM MQ and hydrocotyle carpet. I thought the MM MQ was growing really slow, but now that I look at it, it's really filling in nicely. I get new nodes popping up all the time.

And finally an overall tank view. As much of a PITA as the fluval edge can be to work on, damn it looks good.

I have some Ludwigia sp. Red coming tomorrow along with some Persicaria sp. Kawagoeanum. I need to ad some color, and I'm hoping this will pan out!

My pressurized CO2 is nearly done. Just waiting on a few parts from Bettatail.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #29
shift
Wannabe Guru

your tank looks awesome.. you are making me want to redo my edge!
shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:19 AM   #30
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/99%)

how long does each bulb last (figuring replacement costs compared to led)? How do you protect the bulb from being splashed on by the water?

I am trying to decide if I should go compact flourescent or add additional led lights to my stock 42 leds...

which should I do?
Soup12 is offline   Reply With Quote