Noob needs help!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-27-2012, 01:00 AM   #1
sergieo

PTrader: (0/0%)

Noob needs help!

Hello and good evening all. After careful thought and consideration...ok really after I ralized that I had some spare LED's from my reef tank and petco was having their $1 a gallon sale I used that as a sign that I needed a freshwater planted tank! I will say things have been smooth but im now in need of all of your suggestions, expertice and any constructive critism.

Equipment: 20 Long, Marineland Bio Wheel 350, Tom Mini Filter (2)

Stuff inside: Seachem Flourite (8lbs), 10 diff plant species, some small fish and some clear liquid.

Lighting: 2 Ecopico 12K LED strips (6 white), 3 Eco Pico 50/50 Led Strips (6 white, 3 blue)

Fluid: Tap water then switched to carib sea ready water

The problem and reason why I'm posting....

Within the past 3 days I noticed the plants turning a bit brown and have noticed some brown algae on them, not too much but enough to cause concern and desire to fix this immediately before it gets out of hand. So the most recent changes......

About 30 days ago switched from tap water to ready water from carib sea.

About a week ago I started to add a small amount of Seachem Fourish

My questions...

1. How can I get rid of this brown algae?
2. Is Tap water is good or is it better staying with this ready water?
3. Is dosing Flourish a problem?
4. Is this too much light for the plants? I notice that most plant fixtures are 65k and am thinking of getting the marineland plant fixture anyone have any thoughts on that?

Lastly, THANK YOU all in advance for the help and advice.
sergieo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
sergieo

Here are some (crappy) pics..

6 White 10K LED's only

50/50 Strips (6 White 10k, 3 Blue Actinic)

All Lights On 12 White 10K 3 Blue Actinic
sergieo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

1) Brown algea is probably diatoms. The silicone from decor/tank in a newly cycled tank is the nutrient culprit. Add 4 nerite snails or otos take get things cleaned.

2) Tap water is depending on where you live. I would get it analyzed for nitrates (chloramines) and Cu or other heavy metals. Alkanity and hardness are also critical for continued plant growth.

3) I would keep up with the weekly water changes, but follow directions as indicated. Circulation and a NPK nutrient rich substrate are also important. I inject my Flourish into the substrate and water my terrestial plants with my tank water.

4) I noticed the red plants look like the emersed form of ludwigia glandulosa, so those leaves might melt off in preparation for the submerged kind. Initially low photoperiod (8hrs) might benefit your plants' acclimation, but bump it to 10-12hrs once you notice new growth. Those lights should not be a problem but some other members might pounce on the actinic for freshwater tanks, i,e algea growth, human skin cancer, etc

Last edited by AirstoND; 11-27-2012 at 11:58 PM.. Reason: GRAMMAR
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.