CPD's Filter Question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
fquercus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

CPD's Filter Question

Hello!

I recently got 5 celestial pearl danios to add to my 10 gallon planted tank. I've searched around to try to give them the best care possible and I've read that they do no like high flow or a strong current.

Right now I have a Marineland Penguin 100 HOB on the tank and I was wondering if that would be too much for them? The filter says it is for tanks up to 20 gallons and has 100gph. I have the filter offset from the center of the tank so that there is some area with a weaker current. They seem to be doing fine and occasionally venture out into the open near the filter output (stronger current) but I just worry about them because they are so tiny.

I was considering getting a Aquaclear 20 instead because they seem to be highly recommended and I noticed that they allow you to adjust the flow.

Any advice is welcome! Thank you!
fquercus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
fishboy199413
Planted Tank Obsessed

I currently using an Aquaclear 20 on a 10 gallon with CPDs and it works great. But I would get the next size up as you will not have to change water as often but that is still a must on a 10 gallon to maintain water quality. Make sure if you use the any of the AQ filters to place a sponge over the intake so fish are not sucked up. Hope that helps.

-Michael
Old 11-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
fquercus
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy199413 View Post
I currently using an Aquaclear 20 on a 10 gallon with CPDs and it works great. But I would get the next size up as you will not have to change water as often but that is still a must on a 10 gallon to maintain water quality.
How often, and how large of a water change do you do with the AC 20 on the 10 gallon?

You don't think the AC 30 would be too strong?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
statler&waldorf
Algae Grower

I think what you have is just fine. Unless your filter is creating a little hurricane, I find that the plants in the tank do a lot to baffle the flow.
I have 2x Aqueon Quiet Flow 10 on a 20 long, and it doesn't seem to bother my CPDs at all. They do tend to spend more time in the stiller areas of the tank, but will venture into the flow of the filters looking for food. No fatalities, excellent colors, some breeding behavior. I do have sponges over the intakes, and a sponge in the filter box. I do 10-20% water changes weekly. Even though it's probably not necessary to change the water that frequently, it makes my plants, and me, happy.
statler&waldorf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
fquercus
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
garfieldnfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I would get a sponge filter.
20g L174/L46/hastatus/pygmy corys/L340 fry, 10g OEBTs, 10g blue bees, 10g CRS, 15g L46/L340 fry, 10g yellow shrimp, 15g ADFs/clown plecos, 25g L134s/CPDs/otos, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/zebra otos, 46g CAE/L134s/CPDs/salt and pepper corys/BNs, rubberlip pleco, 55g SAEs/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/mix of old fish folk, 30g L340s/L211/black darter tetras/CPDs/micro rasboras/L340 fry,10g tangerine tiger shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys, 10g L340 fry
garfieldnfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #7
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

I have a small Eheim Classic on my 20G and the flow doesn't bother them at all. They dart all over the place and breed like rabbits.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
Hmoobthor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

mine love the spray bar...they hange out there ..
Eheim Pimp Club #506
Hmoobthor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
celestial pearl danio, cpd, filter equipment, filter help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.