The Planted Tank Forum banner

Big Tank, what would you do?

33K views 209 replies 50 participants last post by  Freemananana 
#1 ·
I got a large hand me dowm tank. previous owner figured it to be about 88 gallons. it came with one florescant light. a duel bio wheel hang on the back filter, and air pump and under gravel system.
I can just barely reach the bottom of the tank using a step stool, so I want to keep the plantings simple. and I want to keep the lighting as is though I can up grade the bulb.
so given what I am starting with what would you do with it and what would you house it with as far as flora/fauna?

See less See more
#2 ·
wow - I've never seen a tank shaped like that! What are the dimensions? Is it a s tall as it looks? That might make it hard to get decent light at the substrate level...but what an exciting tank to work with - I'd love to find one like it! Ooooh...just think of the dramatic driftwood you can use ; )

#3 ·
30x48x13, it was a custom built into a wall with all the access in the storage room behind it.
and yes, I am on the hunt for just the right piece of wood

#4 ·
and my thinking is if it is planted to not use the under gravel, even if I were to only use gravel...thoughts?

#8 ·
#10 ·
Altums would be nice. I do already have 3 Melanotaenia Rainbow fish to move in there eventually

#15 ·
I agree on the potential for a paludarium.
The narrow width doesn't allow much earth or other hardscape above waterline, though.

But, my vision:
-black back
-filled in halfway with water (brackish)
-mangrove-like roots connecting the above with the below
-branches and perhaps some live vineing plant on top as a nice foliage canvas
-archer fish, some of the smaller species
-pointy light(s) to give a nice glimmer

Less is more.

#20 ·
going the paludarium or riparium route would be beautiful but the with of the tank compared to the height would be a bear to work with. the mago root idea is interesting.
yes, the tank has some chalanges that is for sure!!
a tank lanted heavy with Jungle vals and a few different textures there of with a great piece of wood with mosses sure seems a considerable easier to maintain.

also to throw out for consideration is that this will be in our main living space where my mobility chalanged husband spends the day so movement and interest with in the tank are a huge consideration. so what would you want to watch all day?

#24 ·
If you do go palludarium, I was thinking something with minimal horizontal space, mostly just a really shallow backdrop, with vines/wood throughout, and the occasional shelf. there are plenty of viv/paludarium plants that you could grow just off of treefern/corkbark/whatever.

If you put terrestrial critters in there, they would almost have to be arborial/climbers due to lack of horizontal space.

or you could get tricky and put a dry shelf on the middle third, have a waterfall/feature on one end, the water flows under the shelf, and then have a pump uptake on the other end.
might be too problematic on a tank that deep, it would be near impossible to reach under the shelf if it wasn't removeable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.