tank-noob with unhealthy red jungle val
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 09-12-2014, 07:26 AM   #1
Rock_Dove
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

tank-noob with unhealthy red jungle val

I'm a tank noob but I know this isn't normal. My jungle val didn't come like this. It melted down and is growing back really unhealthy, red, and transparent. It's in eco-complete, which I now know unfortunately was a money wasting mistake. 4 6500K florescent lights. I have never tested the water. All the fish are healthy. I do have algae issues but I don't think that would change the pigment like this.
What could be the issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6338.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	369761  

Rock_Dove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #2
FatherLandDescendant
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lot of people here (not me but...) use eco-compleat.

Dosing any fertlizers?
FatherLandDescendant is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #3
Rock_Dove
Algae Grower

I just recently shoved some diy osmocote capsules down there, but it was going red and weird before that. I was hoping it would help.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:46 AM   #4
FatherLandDescendant
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not sure about vals as I've never kept them, but many plants are water column feeders and use roots to mostly hold them in place. Lookup (in the fert section) the EI concept and start dosing the water column would be my advice. If the vals don't need them surely the other plants do, and healthy plant growth eliminates algae problems
FatherLandDescendant is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #5
Rock_Dove
Algae Grower

I had no idea what that was searching made me feel like it was reading a foreign language lol
Is this stuff I can buy?

40-60 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/8 (10ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change
Old 09-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #6
FatherLandDescendant
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This member sells dry ferts, they also have a premixed solution they sell.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=690881

A lot of people (including me) buy from here. As a side note I wish I would have went with Nilocg's products as they seem to be a better deal... At lest to me

http://greenleafaquariums.com/
Old 09-12-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
Rock_Dove
Algae Grower

I've defiantly got some reading to do on all this. Thanks for all your help!!!
Old 09-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
philipraposo1982
Wannabe Guru

I actually think the redness your seeing is normal for Val's in that much light

When I see this stuff in the lakes its a deep red color and its healthy.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #9
AGUILAR3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

It could mean either of 2 things, they are are growing transparent and slowly dying or the light is very bright and they are turning a reddish color. One of my vals that is right under my cfl is a pinkish red at the tips and it hasn't died yet.

Since you mentioned that you have a small algae issue, it's more than likely the 4 lights. If they continue to turn transparent and melt away, then it may be some nutrient deficiency.
AGUILAR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2014, 03:31 AM   #10
bigtrout
Algae Grower

I collected val americana from the allegheny river for my tank, in the river in shallow water high sunlight, most leaves are red and copper red like yours, in my low tech med light tank, the collected vals turned green except the tips near the surface which get red like yours, or almost a copper brown for the ones immediately under the light.
Verdict is, the light level causes the red, and yours look normal
bigtrout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2014, 09:32 PM   #11
Linwood
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I hope you find the solution as I have something similar, though with low-mod light, what is weird about mine is some is growing like mad, I mean up, bending over, being trimmed, spreading, very green. Others are transparent and off color, much like your photo. Same water column, same substrate, nothing I can see that's different. In fact a couple of the bad ones are right near a root tab, and the biggest have no root fertilization near them.

It makes me wonder if I have two different kinds, though they otherwise look the same (i.e. structure, roots, shapes).

Latest tank build: 220 Tall
Linwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2014, 06:02 AM   #12
Rock_Dove
Algae Grower

I love the idea that they are just red, That would be awesome if they could be red and healthy!...but I don't think that is the case. A lot of my other plants aren't doin so hot either.
I was wrong about my lighting as well. I have 2 6500k and some how ended up with 2 5000k?
Must have grabbed the wrong ones. I am not totally savvy on lighting, but they were just from home depot.
I had an expensive light the aquarium store sold me that held 1 t5ho. It broke like a few months later and there was no way I was going to pay that again, so I DIY'd it.
in the time between the broken light and the new diy deal a lot of plants died. This is them coming back so maybe they are just still adjusting and I am impatient? The funny lookin plants are still sending out runners so either they might be ok after adjusting, or they are trying a last ditch effort to survive?
I know orchids can pop out a keiki when they are dying as a last attempt, not sure how aquarium plants work though.
I'm def gonna get on a good fert. routine. I just bought some water wysteria to try and soak up excess nutrients and get this algea under control. it seems to be suffocating my poor amazon sword trying to come back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.