Question about power heads?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 04-05-2014, 10:40 PM   #1
kidgrave
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Question about power heads?

I have seen a lot of people using power heads in planted tanks. When are power heads a must thing to use in a planted tank? I plan on setting up a low-tech 37 gallon tank, that is 30 inches long, 12 inches wide, and 22 inches deep. I plan to dirt my tank. Would a power head be necessary in this thank?

For this tank, which power head brands or model would you advise me to purchase?
kidgrave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 01:19 AM   #2
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (69/100%)

Power heads are not a necessity at all in a planted tank.

Good water flow can help distribute CO2 through a tank and help eliminate dead spots/debris accumulation which tend to encourage algae. Good flow can be accomplished without any powerheads, however.

I personally don't run CO2 in any of my tanks and don't care for the looks of powerheads, so I rely on my filters to provide enough flow and don't use powerheads at all.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:23 AM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

I use a combination of power heads and filter to get the flow I want. Sometimes I use a small filter and just want more flow.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
cowmilkcandy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post

Good water flow can help distribute CO2 through a tank and help eliminate dead spots/debris accumulation which tend to encourage algae. Good flow can be accomplished without any powerheads, however.

I personally don't run CO2 in any of my tanks and don't care for the looks of powerheads, so I rely on my filters to provide enough flow and don't use powerheads at all.
I noticed your lighting for your 90 gallon is similar to mine. Running 2x54w T5HO for 7 hours a day. Do you get any algae? I'm getting brown algae on my glass. It's not that bad but i have to scrub it once a week during water changes. Do you have any tips?
cowmilkcandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 11:19 PM   #5
kidgrave
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I use a combination of power heads and filter to get the flow I want. Sometimes I use a small filter and just want more flow.
What brands of power heads do you use? How strong is the power head on your tank?
Old 04-06-2014, 11:20 PM   #6
kidgrave
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post

Would you advise a power head in a dirted tank, where co2 is not being supplemented? I have a 10 gallon tank that I dirted, and plan to dirt my 37 gallon. How could I tell if my 37 gallon needs more flow? I think it could use a small power head.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:50 PM   #7
kidgrave
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmilkcandy View Post
I noticed your lighting for your 90 gallon is similar to mine. Running 2x54w T5HO for 7 hours a day. Do you get any algae? I'm getting brown algae on my glass. It's not that bad but i have to scrub it once a week during water changes. Do you have any tips?
Just wondering, what brand is your fixture?
Old 04-07-2014, 12:26 AM   #8
greaser84
Planted Member

If you wanted a small powerhead for your 37, something opposite of your filter I'd get around 100gph.
greaser84 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 12:33 AM   #9
greaser84
Planted Member

For my 10 gallon I use a 50gph. If you get one that is a little to strong for your liking, attaching a sponge to it, will slow it down. Or better yet you can get an adjustable one. Check evilbay they have a bunch, that's where I got mine. Like the other's said if you have a good filter you probably don't need one but they are nice to have around.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:44 AM   #10
kidgrave
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser84 View Post
For my 10 gallon I use a 50gph. If you get one that is a little to strong for your liking, attaching a sponge to it, will slow it down. Or better yet you can get an adjustable one. Check evilbay they have a bunch, that's where I got mine. Like the other's said if you have a good filter you probably don't need one but they are nice to have around.
Do you use your power head as a filter? Which power head brand and model are you using?
Old 04-07-2014, 12:46 AM   #11
kidgrave
Algae Grower

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. On my 37 gallon tank, I am using a Fluval 206 Canister filter. How can I figure out if my tank is getting enough flow? Which power head brand and model do you use on your 10 gallon?
Old 04-07-2014, 01:04 AM   #12
greaser84
Planted Member

I don't know the names of the powerheads or who makes them. I always buy the cheap ones from [Ebay Link Removed] here are some pics, one pic is a wave maker in my 55gallon, the others are powerheads in my 10 gallon and 20 gallon. I use them to help distribute my co2. I always check for dead spots in the corners farthest from the filter by watching for bubbles or plant movement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	powerheads 002.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	301642  

Name:	powerheads 003.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	301650  

Name:	powerheads 004.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	301658  

Name:	powerheads 005.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	301666  

Name:	powerheads 006.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	301674  

Old 04-07-2014, 01:08 AM   #13
greaser84
Planted Member

The powerhead for the 10 gallon was about 5 bucks the powerhead for the 20 gallon was about 8 bucks and the wave maker was about 15 bucks. Like I said I get the cheese cheap ones but they work for me.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:24 AM   #14
jay6896
Algae Grower

I agree I don't think its necessary but I do think you always need a certain amount of water movement. Since the HOB filter isn't nearly enuf alone, I purchased a power head. I have a MaxiJet 600 and initially used it as a filter connecting a small soda bottle with polyester but since my tank is completely cycled its not necessary. I tried removing it but after minimal maintenance my tank wasn't crystal after a whole day. I put the power head back in and the next morning it was crystal again. This thing is rated at 160 gph in power head mode. I wanted the Maxi_Jet 400 but they were out of stock. MY tank is a 20 high and I think the movement is perfect.
jay6896 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 02:07 AM   #15
kidgrave
Algae Grower

Quote:
The powerhead for the 10 gallon was about 5 bucks the powerhead for the 20 gallon was about 8 bucks and the wave maker was about 15 bucks. Like I said I get the cheese cheap ones but they work for me.
Wow, that's pretty cheap. Do you always leave your power head on, or do you turn it off during certain times of the day or night?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.