tips for my first planted nano
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

tips for my first planted nano

Hi Everyone!
I've had fish tanks all my life. I've had small freshwater tanks and even a 150 gallon reef tank. Last year I went from the reef tank to a 40 gallon planted tank. That was my first planted tank. I made a few mistakes in the begining but now I have the hang of it. I do have co2 running on it and led lights. Now I'm wanting to try a nano. I want to do it with out co2 tho. I've had all kinds of ideas a out what I want to put in it too many to mention lol. I'm not sure of the size yet I'm thinking somewhere between 20 and 25 gallon depending on price. I plan to take water from the 40 gallon as well as a few lava rocks and sponges from my filter. I'm thinking this way the nano won't have to go through a cycle . I'm hoping you might have some ideas on how to stock it and some common mistakes to avoid. I do know I like a white sand bottom. I'm not a big fan of live baring fish or those dano type fish. I have thought about a few of the pygmy puffers but not sure how they mix with plants or if they wout fight. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Patrick
partobe is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
rnaodm
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi Co2 isn't a necessity for alot of plants for so that's a plus.

You could pretty much skip the cycle using existing filtration/Lava rock though you might see a slight rise in ammonia, if you don't overdo the fauna it wont cause any harm.

I'm not really that knowledgeable on puffer fish, For a while I thought they wernt a good idea for planted tanks for multiple reasons, but now it seems most of the info they posted 10ish years ago is completely different from what they're saying now.
rnaodm is offline   Reply With Quote