My 6 gallon tank!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-29-2003, 02:32 PM   #1
IIIUSION
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How is it? Actually, it has been 2 weeks since the picture was taken and it looks quite different now. I will try to post an updated pic soon.

6 Gallon

3 platties
12 neon tetras
4 cory cats
1 algae eater
3 snails
IIIUSION is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2003, 03:50 PM   #2
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

wow. what kind of tank is that? how much lighting? it looks really nice 8) me have a 5.5 gallon. i want to see more pics!!!
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 02:42 AM   #3
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Looking good. Can't wait to see it in a month or so when the plants fill in a bit!

Mike
Old 07-31-2003, 03:04 AM   #4
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Hmmm......just a ???? here....

I see that there are 20 fish in a 6 gallon tank....Tetras grow to about an inch so assuming that all fish just stay at 1 inch then doesnt that violate one of the "tenets" of one inch per gallon?

Not a criticism at all...beautiful tank...just trying to figure out how many I can keep in my tank.

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 04:43 PM   #5
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

neon tetras don't apply to that rule. that rule is too general. some fish just don't create very much waste. for example... one 1 inch goldfish can create more waste products than 20 neon tetras. i know this from experience. 8) i believe that as the water is clean and parameters are okay and fish have "some" space to swim, then everything is fine. its just that "overstocking" according to that all too general rule needs more careful observation and details to your little tank.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:49 PM   #6
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

put as many fish as you see fit in your tank. just make sure to USE common sense. for example... if your water parameters are terrible... don't add fish. duh. :? and if your fish is too big too move around... then don't get it. so... if you have good water... enough swimming space for your fish... then your fine. another idea... if you had a 6 gallon tank with 1 neon tetra... and 20 neon tetras in the same tank.... they would still have just about the same amount of space to swim . also... you would not want to fit a 10 inch full-grown goldfish in a 6 gallon tank with 16" width. Just use comoon sense. thats all. the 1 inch per gallon rule is used a general guideline. you can manipulate as you see fit. for goldfish the general guideline is 1 inch per 10 gallons. see... its all changeable. :idea:
Old 08-01-2003, 04:22 PM   #7
IIIUSION
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan
put as many fish as you see fit in your tank. just make sure to USE common sense. for example... if your water parameters are terrible... don't add fish. duh. :? and if your fish is too big too move around... then don't get it. so... if you have good water... enough swimming space for your fish... then your fine. another idea... if you had a 6 gallon tank with 1 neon tetra... and 20 neon tetras in the same tank.... they would still have just about the same amount of space to swim . also... you would not want to fit a 10 inch full-grown goldfish in a 6 gallon tank with 16" width. Just use comoon sense. thats all. the 1 inch per gallon rule is used a general guideline. you can manipulate as you see fit. for goldfish the general guideline is 1 inch per 10 gallons. see... its all changeable. :idea:
I like your style

It does make sense too...
Old 08-01-2003, 08:19 PM   #8
vfish2003
Algae Grower

nice1 i've always wanted to do a tank with a black substrate but felt it would look odd with plants now i think i'll try it
vfish2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 03:19 AM   #9
IIIUSION
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfish2003
nice1 i've always wanted to do a tank with a black substrate but felt it would look odd with plants now i think i'll try it

Yeah, i decided to get some after seeing some cool display tanks that were using black gravel.
Actually, it's not totally black. It may seem so when washing it for the 1st time, but after you set it up, u realise it's a mixture of dark browns, blacks. Very nice indeed.