Electric Blue Ram [or bolivian ram] questions, and seeking advice!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-25-2012, 05:22 AM   #1
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Electric Blue Ram [or bolivian ram] questions, and seeking advice!

You guys helped me identify an impulse buy I had, two little blue, color changing fish that i instantly wanted, [Id been thinking my tank needed some blue anyways..hehe].
They ended up being Electric Blue Rams, may or may not be jeweled?

The tank they are in is a 50 gallon planted, so plenty of space for territories. The params of my tank is ph: 6.3-6.4, very soft water, dh is not even one and kh maybe two?
Also living in the tank is 15-18 guppies, seven cories, a betta, two apple snails, various pond snails/MTS, and a handful of cherry shrimp. Theres also a BN pleco and a RN pleco.
And now two electric blue rams!
They are both male, one looks better that the other, is more 'alpha', bluer, better body shape, and more active. The other seems to be clamping his fins, is paler than the other, tends to hand out near this cup thats suctioned to the tank wall [for water changes]. Its clear, and he hovers above the rim, and sometimes inside the cup. He does swim abot though, and when he does, he blues up, but sometimes he gets near white when sitting in the cup. But the healthier looking one does alot of sitting too, but inthe plants, and in caves int he tank..Maybe its the cories and guppies being so high active, but to me they seem to be still alot!

I have a few concerns. The stay in the bottom third of my tank, along the back, is this normal for them?
Do they like it more dim? My tank is 48 inches long, but has two 36 inch t8 6500k light strips, kind of over lapped. I do have some surface plants, but i recently banned water sprite from this tank, so all i have is a bit of amazon frog-bit and some hygroryza aristata. Should i get more?
Are they acting timid because there is only two of them? Should I get more? Possibly another male, and three females? or four females? Would this help? I was thinking another male so that its not one on one, but more spread out. But then couldent it turn into two on one? *sigh* Would adding females neutralize or make the aggression worse?
How big does this strain get? I couldent seem to find anywhere that says a size, and im not sure how they actually compare to Bolivian rams. Right now they are almost exactly the size of an adult emerald green/albino cory.
I have not actually seen either of them eat, i got them two days ago, and they tend to be hiding, or the pale one is hanging at his cup, and would get trampled by guppies. I do feed the guppies seperately and spot feed the cories and betta, and the 'shrimp field'. Ive been trying to spot feed them, but i think they were still adjusting.

As i am writing this, I saw my betta, who has never attacked anything, flare at the brighter ram, and it did this flippy thing, and i thought Tyrion hit him, but he didnt move! Then the ram did it again, went horozontal, floated, and i thought he was dead! it looked like a fishy heart attack! He swam away and hid, and i figured i should remove him, in case something was wrong, and he is now acclimating int he QT/fry tank, but the pale one got away from me, and hid in the stump in my tank. Id like to remove him as well, cause im nervous, and stupid me didnt QT...>.<

Sorry for the long post!!
Im welcoming any advice, experience or tales!
Thanks in advance!

LyzzaRyzz's Tanks and More! - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=226122
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Betas may attack rams. The rams actually prefer smaller tanks. I have really never had good luck with rams in larger tanks. Rams in general are shy. See how these two do but Bolivians are much hardier and color up nicely.

I do think they are still adjusting though. Just have to wait it out. You have a but if a mishmash of fish types in there
Old 11-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
onekraz3
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

My ram betta combo is opposite my ram harasses the betta and claim the back and surface area. Betta kind of just chill in the front right with the blyxas. Im moving my betta back to his 5g as soon as i get my 12l for the microrasboras.
onekraz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Well, as of right now, they are in my fry tank, as I was unprepared for what I got myself into!
What's the smallest size tank a single electric blue ram can live in? I an considering returning one of them, and keeping the other in a 5.5 I have, or in my ten gallon.
Would either of these be good?

LyzzaRyzz's Tanks and More! - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=226122
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

My Bolivian rams are an enigma. I'll say it right off. The first batch of 6 I bought seemed fine in my 40b but over the course of 2 months 5 of them died from what appeared to be a wasting of some kind. They ate but never seemed to attack the food whether it be New Life or flakes or live... The lone survivor is a large healthy male that hides a lot and stays almost 100% on the bottom of the tank. I have high light and pressurized CO2 and am not sure if this is the reason. His colors are outstanding when he lets me see him.

I just bought 6 more juveniles from a guy on aquabid and these little guys are a treat! I had them in a 15 gallon QT for 3 weeks until this past Friday when I transferred them to the main tank. Now they seem fine and adjusted and sit at the glass and stare at me lol.... But I am terrified that they'll go the way of the other ones so I am very vigilant at this point. My other concern is how the full grown male from the original batch will feel about these new kids..

This idea that they may prefer smaller tanks makes me :-(

They have some very curious behavior without doubt!
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
My Bolivian rams are an enigma. I'll say it right off. The first batch of 6 I bought seemed fine in my 40b but over the course of 2 months 5 of them died from what appeared to be a wasting of some kind. They ate but never seemed to attack the food whether it be New Life or flakes or live... The lone survivor is a large healthy male that hides a lot and stays almost 100% on the bottom of the tank. I have high light and pressurized CO2 and am not sure if this is the reason. His colors are outstanding when he lets me see him.

I just bought 6 more juveniles from a guy on aquabid and these little guys are a treat! I had them in a 15 gallon QT for 3 weeks until this past Friday when I transferred them to the main tank. Now they seem fine and adjusted and sit at the glass and stare at me lol.... But I am terrified that they'll go the way of the other ones so I am very vigilant at this point. My other concern is how the full grown male from the original batch will feel about these new kids..

This idea that they may prefer smaller tanks makes me :-(

They have some very curious behavior without doubt!

Where the heck are you buying them! I have 6 in my 50 with angels and never lost 1! I even got 2 pairs out of the 6. I also bought off aquabid

Mine are always out in front and super interactive (almost as much as my angelfish)
Old 11-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyzzaRyzz View Post
Well, as of right now, they are in my fry tank, as I was unprepared for what I got myself into!
What's the smallest size tank a single electric blue ram can live in? I an considering returning one of them, and keeping the other in a 5.5 I have, or in my ten gallon.
Would either of these be good?
I have had 6 in a 10 gallon with a few ottos before and they did well. 2 in a 5.5 should be fine
Old 11-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

The original 6 came from a LFS of dubious repute that I had never been in before or since. They just happened to have them when I was in the market and I took a shot. I didn't even bother to take the bodies back to them because the hassle of getting there for me was not worth the effort. I have always had good luck with the stores locally and I never hesitate to use them when they have what I'm looking for. This particular store has been around since Moses but has fallen into some trouble with the ownership and things aren't probably as sanitary or organized as it once was. I don't know how long this place had these particular rams either. It was never discussed. They're so far out of my way that I took a good effort to get to these, too. Lesson learned I guess.

Cheers
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
The original 6 came from a LFS of dubious repute that I had never been in before or since. They just happened to have them when I was in the market and I took a shot. I didn't even bother to take the bodies back to them because the hassle of getting there for me was not worth the effort. I have always had good luck with the stores locally and I never hesitate to use them when they have what I'm looking for. This particular store has been around since Moses but has fallen into some trouble with the ownership and things aren't probably as sanitary or organized as it once was. I don't know how long this place had these particular rams either. It was never discussed. They're so far out of my way that I took a good effort to get to these, too. Lesson learned I guess.

Cheers
definitely lessons learned. Heck, that's what aquarium keeping is
Old 11-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
Plant keeper
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msawdey View Post
I have had 6 in a 10 gallon with a few ottos before and they did well. 2 in a 5.5 should be fine
For 1 pair of rams it has to be 10gals or bigger...
Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plant keeper View Post
For 1 pair of rams it has to be 10gals or bigger...
I have a feeling this is going to get into semantics as it fully depends on a number of factors including available bio-load on the tank (i had a ecco canister), layout of the scape (each pair had their own corner and had ample space to hide and breed), and over a few years of experience, I had better luck keeping rams and breeding rams in 10 gallon tanks then in tanks that are larger. They seem to do better in smaller tanks with water changes once a week. Being that they are often a sensitive fish, if you are going to keep them in a 5.5 or even 10 gallon, i would highly recommend using RO to make sure parameters are constant.

Tags
blue ram, electric blue ram, ram