help identify this algae and how to cure it...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 12-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

help identify this algae and how to cure it...

well i had move my tank from one side of the room to another so that i can have more room to set up more tanks in one area.... i didnt have time to rewire everything and plug everything in that same day so when said and done... i got everything pluged in but my co2 tank solenoid , after 2-4 days then i was able to have the co2 plugged into the outlet.... i believe my lights where on during that few days if not the whole 2-4 days it was unplugged...

after i plug in the co2 i notice the Green Spot Algae was starting to build up on the glass nothing crazy but you can see it here and there.... also another type of algae if not the same was growing on my sand substrate... its just normal petco sand... here is a picture of the one on my sand... not sure what it is or how to cure it.... it looks like it has a thin green hair like but i cant be to sure... as its TINY and hard to really see

Bryanmc1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

from my research i think its BGA but does anyone know whats the best way to get rid of this? from looking at the front glass under the substrate it looks a little greenish blue so assuming its BGA
Old 12-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

does not look like BGA to me. it looks like the sessile equivalent to green water. its a colonial single celled algae. the best way to kill it is a blackout, since it gets much of its nutrients from the oxidative environment it produces whenever the lights are on.

sporadic short photoperiods can also help. since they need to oversaturate the substrate they are on before with oxygen before they can liberate the nutrients within, turning the lights on for only short periods of time with breaks in between can slow it down. this alone will not kill it though.
auban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
Ike
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yup, I'd do a water change, then a 2-3 day blackout, I'm not sure what it's called but I've seen it before, turn off your Co2 during the blackout so you don't gas your animals though too. One more water change after the blackout, and kick that Co2 back on, don't fertilize for a few days after, even reduce the amount you feed you fish/shrimp. Finally shorten your light time like auban says and slowly bring it back up.

Upon moving the tank it's not near a window or glass door now is it? That might explain the extra algae too.
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Single celled algae, kill with water changes and blackouts.

Limit the available amount of nutrients and light, and it will eventually die out.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:27 PM   #6
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ok so what i did was vaccum up the sand at the top and put it in a bucket then wash it with boiling hot water like 3-5 times then rinse it again with cold water then rub the sand with my hands to remove as much as possible and rinse it again a few times then back into the tank it went... now the top is clean but i'm sure it will come back again soon...

it is next to a window but has boards blocking the side tank so the window doesnt give it any light but my t5ho bulb was on and that might be the problem why it was getting light, i'm dosing kh2po4 now...

do you think dosing kh2po4 would help kill it? i really do not wish for it to grow back and the tank has a good amount of plants if that helps... would adding frogbits and WL help stop or slow it down?

here is a good website to check the name of the algae.... i think its BGA but you can tell me what you think it really is
http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm
Old 12-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I can't tell for sure what it is by the pic, but if it is cyano, its most limiting nutrients is phosphorus, iron, and molybdenum, in that order. there are many ways to get rid of it, all viable. the only one that usually works all the time is blackout. to keep it away, get rid of what it needs.

the only issue I have with blackout is that it can be pretty hard on the plants, but it works. it usually takes about 36-48 hours for the heterocysts in cyano to die off, but they are capable of nitrogen fixation, so too much nutrients and not even a blackout will kill it.
auban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ok so from doing a black out it will kill it but how do i stop it from coming back? i blacked it out with no fertz or co2 and will have a airstone plug in for it also... if thats a good thing to do let me know... also i will black it out for 6 days if thats ok just to be on the safe side that all that algae will be killed...
Old 12-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
Ike
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

6 days will probably kill your HC, just do this:

Water change
Black out
no ferts
no co2
barely any feeding
wait 2 days
water change
lights on for limited amount of time WITH Co2
slowly increase amount of light per day over a week.

Should be back to normal after that unless it's somehow getting sun from a window then you're fighting a losing battle.
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well what i have done is

50% water change
blackout with plywood board all over the tank so no sun will get into the tank.... cover by top bottom left right and back and front...
no ferts
no co2
no feeding
waiting for 4-5 days max seems to be an ok spot to do
another 50% water change after the 4-5 days of blackout
then light is on a timer so should it be set to say 8 hrs a day? (is 8 hrs a day of light good enough for the plants already? i used to have them at 9-10hrs a day then got the algae...) of course co2 will be on 1-2 hrs before lights comes on and off 2hrs before the lights go out

will this plan work ? ^^^^^ above

also i never got an answer on my other question, "this method will kill the algae but how to stop it from coming back?"