Center piece recommendation
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

Center piece recommendation

I have a 125g stocked with cardinals, black neons, rummy nose, rasbora het, roselines, glow light tetras, pygmy cories, black kuhli loaches, BN plecos, and a pair of blue rams. I am looking for a center piece fish 1-3 would be ideal. However I'm not sure of what I want. I have had angels before but they've always eaten the smaller tetras. As much as I would like a couple discus I have no plans to increase water changes so they're out.
Any other ideas? I saw a pink tail chalceus at the LFS yesterday but according to what I've read on google they will eat smaller fish and would likely jump out of my tank.
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

bosemanni?
Old 11-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

basically, you want something largish that will not eat everything you already have right?
The problem I am having is that most larger fish (like the pink tail) will get 8" plus and have a mouth fit for eating everything that you currently have. Especially because some of what you have is only an inch in size

the ONE large fish I can think of that would not harm everything else you have is a bit of an oddball and not something you see very often, especially at larger sizes, but it does better on its own from what I hear and it would love to be in a 125 like what you have. They are a little sensitive and fragile from what I here, but I think an elephant nose might be exactly the kind of fish you are looking for.
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
JoeGREEEN
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

maybe a

Flagtail PROCHILODUS

just keep one cause they are very territorial towards thier own kind, though they will eat up your soft plants.

thats the problem with most big herbavore fish is that they will tearup a planted tank easy.
JoeGREEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

angel is the only thing that came to my mind. The only tetra it would probably eat is the glowlights. Other than that your other tetras would be good with angels in my opinion.
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Gouramis? Pearls are just spectacular fish.

A trio of one of the rainbows would be my choice though, interesting behaviors those fish have.

I would actually increase the size of your favorite fish's school though. If you put in a large fish the existing fish will look dinky and might throw off the perspective of the tank. My 2 year old black neons look like specks in the tank now with the mature Congo tetras in the tank.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
bosemanni?
I've never really been a big fan of the rainbows, however I might just go with them for their coloring and because I haven't really been able to find anything else I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
basically, you want something largish that will not eat everything you already have right?
The problem I am having is that most larger fish (like the pink tail) will get 8" plus and have a mouth fit for eating everything that you currently have. Especially because some of what you have is only an inch in size

the ONE large fish I can think of that would not harm everything else you have is a bit of an oddball and not something you see very often, especially at larger sizes, but it does better on its own from what I hear and it would love to be in a 125 like what you have. They are a little sensitive and fragile from what I here, but I think an elephant nose might be exactly the kind of fish you are looking for.
Yes, I want a larger oddball. I have looked at the elephant nose but was looking for something with a bit more color, however I do like that it is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGREEEN View Post
maybe a

Flagtail PROCHILODUS

just keep one cause they are very territorial towards thier own kind, though they will eat up your soft plants.

thats the problem with most big herbavore fish is that they will tearup a planted tank easy.
I would rather not have anything that will eat any of the plants. The tank is very heavily planted and I'd reather it stay that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchfish9 View Post
angel is the only thing that came to my mind. The only tetra it would probably eat is the glowlights. Other than that your other tetras would be good with angels in my opinion.
As much as I would like a couple angels, I have had them eat most of my tetras in the past. They even ate the ottos, and picked the plecos to death.
If I knew I could get a couple docile ones I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Gouramis? Pearls are just spectacular fish.

A trio of one of the rainbows would be my choice though, interesting behaviors those fish have.

I would actually increase the size of your favorite fish's school though. If you put in a large fish the existing fish will look dinky and might throw off the perspective of the tank. My 2 year old black neons look like specks in the tank now with the mature Congo tetras in the tank.
I've seen gouramis as center piece choices on a lot of forums, I have never really been a big fan of any species.

Not trying to be difficult, I just want something pleasing to look at that wont in turn eat my plants and or fish.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

plus 1 on the angels. Find a pair off aquabid. How small were the tetras? As long as I seem to keep 6 tetras, the angels have always left them alone