Fog for vivarium?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 12-25-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
viwwo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fog for vivarium?

I have been planing of planting a 20g terrarium/vivarium.
I would like to have fog in it but I don't have much space outside to have 2g fog maker.
What do you use? Any tips?
viwwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
Stinkmonky
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

I'm using a zoomed repti-fogger for my dry start method. It keeps everything nice and moist even on lowest setting. You can just change out the included bottle for 2 liter soda bottle. Only use distilled water. You can get it cheap at most grocery stores.
Stinkmonky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 01:40 AM   #3
HypnoticAquatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

eh the reptifogger is not really worth it imo many retailers get them back. if it were me i would go say 2 options are better, 1st choice is http://www.mistking.com you would be much better off with the 99$ system. 2nd if you want a ultrasonic fogger then id say getting it from ebay $26 then get a waterproof cpu fan, and some pvc. pvc needs to have the fogger sit inside of it the fan can be push or pull the fog doesnt really matter (just have it wired so u can control the fan speed) use T's and L's to customize your outputs for where u want the fog.

doing it with the fogger in the tank allows u to use the false bottom which really helps and uses all that water as an active reservoir which will allow for much greater time befor refilling.
HypnoticAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

what's your reason for wanting fog? if it's humidity, something like a mister would probably be more effective (if you don't plan on running the fogger continuously).

Otherwise, I'd avoid the in-tank versions, I've heard they can be damaging to the critters that manage to find their way to the ultrasonic bits.

check out dendroboards, they talk about this stuff a lot, I think there are a few DIY plans for converting an inexpensive home ultrasonic humidifier to a viv fogger.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
HypnoticAquatic
Wannabe Guru

any ultrasonic pulse is not good when your on it but even with just a screen over the float it is far enough away to not do damage its when your right over the pulse easy fix, its like saying dont drive because car accidents can happen failure to make any system safe for your tank cant be blamed on the system logically anyways. either way using the intank or humidifier its the same design ones in tank ones out pick what works best, they both have there own drawbacks like a humidifier will need to be filled daily if u leave it on vs intake can be set up to hold much more volume of water, an op said they dont have room for 2g system so it sounds like it cant work with his setup. all we need to do is figure out how and why something works a specific way so u can set each product up the way it needs to be, seems to be less an less common now a days.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
HypnoticAquatic
Wannabe Guru

though of another easy way instead of using a fan just use the pvc or anything to make a cup for water place the fogger inside it then have a tiny pump put water to it you could have the pump act as a waterfall/dripwall or just have any over flow run back into the bottom so you have 100% fog, but id still seal the top off with the plastic mesh for safety of your fauna. curious as to which way u go. remember only a short time for free shipping on the misting system if u dont understand my description lmk
Old 12-27-2012, 01:31 AM   #7
viwwo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I seen the mistking stuff from another website, and I was really interested in it.
For now I'm just planning things out. I wont put anything together for another few months. Its good to know what is out there.
It has to be small. I don't mind refilling it every other day.
viwwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #8
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

i used an ultrasonic fogger in my mantella tank. it has a false bottom, so i just made a receptacle for the fogger unit. it's covered and the cover is removable for when i need to replace the membrane on it. i drilled holes in the receptacle so it gets constant water supply, no need for refilling
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.