Need some finishing touches
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 11-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
tinkerpuppet
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Need some finishing touches

I swapped out my substrate to Fluorite Black Sand and moved some plants around and am much happier. I will be changing out the light to a 6500k as this bulb is too blue/purple with the black bottom.

But I feel like the plants aren't quite finished yet. I do have a little bit of dwarf sag from my other tank that I was thinking of lining the plant line from the front left in front of the sword around to behind the dw (leaving the look of a path going behind the dw). But will that be enough? I have little baby crypts in front of the dw (parva maybe?), would something like that be better then dwarf sag to keep it balanced?

Any other plant suggestions to complete it?

tinkerpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I wouldn't put in the dwarf sag, too similar to the vals right behind them. I would spread out or get more of the crypts. They are tiny now but probably grow to be about 6" tall, don't think they are parva. Your idea of a path sounds very nice. You could then get a pot of parva to go in front of the wood and Anubias. If your dwarf sag stays small the place the crypts are could be planted with sags.

The swords are going to completely take over half the tank, the vals will thicken up then spread everywhere. The Bacopa grows very straight for me so can be cut and replanted to make quite a symmetrical bush. So in time you may have to relocate the wisteria and you will need to keep the val runners cut out.

I really like the idea of the crypts growing from near the sword plants and along behind the wood. The wood with Anubias looks very nice I sure wouldn't want it to get completely lost in the jungle.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:16 AM   #3
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Maybe you could make some room in the back for some red plants to add a little contrast & wow factor to the tank. I also agree to switching out the light bulb. I don't like that bluish color.

Seachem Flourite - "Although pre-washed"
BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Overgrowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:10 AM   #4
tinkerpuppet
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the input! Good to know about the crypts, I don't have the vision of what things will look like when they grow. I want something to grow low along that back plant line, fill it in a bit. Is there something other then crypt parva or dwarf sag that would do alright in low light?

I also like the suggestion of something red. I did have some red rotala, but it totally melted and wasn't worth saving when I changed the substrate. Any suggestions for something that might be okay?

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2012, 04:46 AM   #5
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cryptocoryne wendtii 'red', lotus plants, alternanthera reneckii (sp.) 'red', and Ludwigia repens are some examples of red plants. Some of them might not be suitable for your lighting though.

Seachem Flourite - "Although pre-washed"
BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Overgrowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
tinkerpuppet
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I changed a few things. I moved the crypts to the front of the left plant line, I added a couple stones and planted some dwarf sag around them. And I also moved the heater, it kept getting tangled in the bacopa. I will have a little look at some red plants next time I'm in my lfs (picking up some more fish probably on Tues), when I'll also pick up a better bulb. I had a look at three different hardware type stores, but no one carries the 24" daylight tubes. My lfs has the Life Glo, more money of course, but at least I'm not driving all over the city hunting down a bulb!

Better?

Old 11-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Looks nice. Now comes the hard part. Waiting for the plants to thicken up and look like your vision!

If you straighten out the line of the sand along the front of the tank it makes it look instantly better for some reason. Most people say the line should be level too.