HybridHerp's 75 gallon (Post Sandy Edition) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #16
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Bit of an update. I finally got a good pic of the black ghost knife, but then the bichir ate it.......less than pleased about that. I'll put the pics up anyways.
Got a late shipment of plants that had been lost for two weeks in the mail. Really, only one plant survived, working out details about the rest. I'm also arranging the purchase of more plants, and already have everything but the tank on the way to my house to get co2 up and running.

I'm going ahead and ordering a 15lb aluminum tank, since it looks nice and has handles and stuff, and is a nice in-between size and all that. Meaning, in like a week or so I should have this all up and running.

On second thought, I might just get a 20lb.

Last edited by HybridHerp; 01-04-2013 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: Update my indecisiveness
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #17
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Great to see you didn't let the storm stop you. Glad to see you bouncing back. Love the Pearl Gouramis. One of my favorite fish.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #18
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Great to see you didn't let the storm stop you. Glad to see you bouncing back. Love the Pearl Gouramis. One of my favorite fish.
I've had a good deal of weird things happen in this tank, even before this. But as long as I have even a single fish in this tank, I'm not giving up on it. Even if that single fish likes to eat more than his worth in tank mates (I think that bichir's body count over the last 5 or so years is 6+ adult sized rainbows, some 4+ blue gourami's, and now one black ghost knife >_<)

Fish for this tank are so hard to find sometimes lol. I'm surprised my smaller pearls are still around. I think it has to do with them always being close to each other and the larger ones.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #19
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

I just realized something rather stupid as well. I was wondering why, with what is considered Hi-lighting according to Hoppy's chart, my plants were relatively uncolored up. I figured out why, and I feel stupid for it now.

The glass I have over the tank is super dirty and chalky, to the point where I can't even see through it myself.......that's gotta be blocking out a significant portion of light lol. Which means I guess its time for me to clean my glass pronto.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #20
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

Yah, I still need to clean my glass. Anyways, lemme get to the pics :P

Yah, I'm sad. I really liked having a south american ghost knife. This pic was taken on the 30th, and it was just a few days later that it no longer was found in my tank. Stupid bichir, I love you and I hate you sometimes XD. I'm debating what fish I should get in its place now, either an african brown ghost knife (doesn't get as big as a black ghost but gets big enough for this tank, not as cool looking and cannot do the same things) or try and get a larger Black ghost knife (Hard to find large and a lot more money when they are found. A large one might be big enough to harm my smaller pearl gourami's and now angels) My one friend is also insisting on getting me a fish as my (now super late) christmas present. Who am I to argue with a pretty woman on that front :P Anyways, I'm not sure which I'd do, since I know where to get both (I think) but there are in opposite places from each other. Gah, decisions, decisions. Any thoughts on the matter would be great.

This shot is also from the 30th. Its some clippings of Rotala wallichi from my 5.5. They are doing pretty well, but when I added some more the extras just ended up getting uprooted and floating all over the place. I hate it when stems get uprooted and float around, and its always the same exact stems too :\. Either way, it's turned greener in this tank (due to my lack of cleaning glass), but I still have a lot more light I can potentially give. I need a timer for the second bank of lights (I've only been running half my total fixture). I might ditch this in favor of something else, but I'm not sure.

This, so that you can see that I am still dealing with BBA (granted, I haven't been active about its removal either) and that I am attempting to get small snails into this tank....and failing. I think my rainbows have developed a taste for snails now lol.

So, I got a shippment of plants from someone on another forum, and it got lost in the mail for two weeks and just didn't end well for anyone really. Guy was nice enough about it and is re-sending most of what I wanted over. But this plant, man this plant can sure survive. Lagenandra meeboldii 'pink', man this is a massive plant and a sturdy thing. I've been talking about this in a few threads on this forum, and I'm going to be happy to start propegating this through other people's tanks soon enough. I want some new growth and more compactness to occur, and am thinking about splitting this plant into two to try and achieve that. Right now, I have it tied onto a rock to keep the rhizome just above the substrate. This plant came in with massive roots though, so its quiet the plant.

My dominant rainbow fish being all colorful and stuff. Sadly, he likes to tone it down the minute he sees me trying to take a pic, but still, he looks pretty cool.

Same deal here too :P

And here

And my best attempt at a pic of all three being nice. Which never happens lol. A lot of chasing and flaring of late, but it keeps the tank interesting.

Now, these are nice. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go the angel route again, but when I saw these I just had to. They are a tad small, but my bichir has a history have being good with small cichlids. If its not a cichlid, not so much, but cichlids yes. I got 4 of these little guys now. I'm not really sure EXACTLY what you would call their variety (any help there would be great), but I'm saying something like Blue Leopard's or something. They do have a good deal of blue in the for the most part, some more than others, but I'm a sucker for a busy pattern. It wasn't until I brought them home that I even noticed the blues, they came out much better in my tank than in the store.

Now, as far as plans and things, oh boy does this tank have a LOT in store. I'm playing around with osmocote tabs and gro-soil and gro-humate tabs in the substrate. Once I get the glass clean and the lights the way I want them, there will be a lot of growth in this tank. One thing as well, I mentioned in my 10 gallon journal, my 20lb aluminum co2 tank just got here today. That, combined with the regulator, drop checker, tubes, ect, mean that I am missing just three things for this tank. I forgot to get a diffuser (fail on my part), I'm wanting to just get the larger atomic diffuser that niclog has on here (I might change that in the future to an inline thing, but tbh I don't care about tubes sticking down into the tank or anything like that). I also need to actually fill the tank with gas as well.

Lastly, I need plants. And luckily I have them on the way. A lot of plants. Like, the most I've ever had at one time.......I'm not going to mention everything now, but the next update will be big enough that I am going to just re-post the entire updated list of plants on here. I have some Green Gecko and Crypt usteriana coming to me soon, eventually I'll get some nurii as well but that'll be a while. I've also got some moss comming my way and some anubias and lillies, but what I'm most excited for are the stems I'm getting. And I'm getting some nice stems, I'm really excited about this.

As far as things going on with plants already in here....my anubias are making a comeback, and my corymbosa seems to be adjusting very well to this tank. Glosso seems to be unhappy with me, but I feel that it is only a temporary unhappiness. I swear, this tank will have a carpet in it somehow, someway. If I can't get glosso to work, I might try UG or Staurogyne repens, but if I do get glosso to work....I might try them anyways lol.

The only MAJOR plant that I still don't have any sign of getting back is Crinum calminstratum. I'm going to be hunting for a nice specimin or two in a few months time. My Lace plants seem to be doing well also, although I'm sure more light and co2 will be very welcomed. My swords seem to be struggling a bit though. That's the one thing I hate about swords, when you buy them they seem to melt back a ton, at least for me anyways. Crypts don't melt on me, but swords, pshhhh. However, I do see new growth on both the rose and the rubin, and neither one of them has been uprooted by anything, so I'm confident that they will spring up like mad once I get more liberal with the root ferts, light, and co2.

This tank is going to be a jungle when I'm through :P
Old 01-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #21
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Sweet update, can't wait to see more!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #22
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

I seem to have lost an angel in the past day or two :\. The others look fine, but I really hope they grow FAST lol. I'll probably be picking up a few more angels as well, no more than 3.

I'm still debating about the whole knife fish thing, and I'm still needing to fix up some plants and such. I also have brand new pincettes that I'm eager to use, those should make planting stems WORLDS easier.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #23
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Really? I find planting with my fingers in a 300g isn't to bad. It's only when I need to trim that I need to use my forceps
Old 01-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #24
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVN View Post
Really? I find planting with my fingers in a 300g isn't to bad. It's only when I need to trim that I need to use my forceps
While thats true, I feel like I made a mess of things with my fingers when it comes to stems and such. Larger plants I do by hand, because that is easier.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:19 AM   #25
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

co2 should be running within the week. I'm super excited for that.

A few little things I want to mention before massive updates when I get new plants in. I removed the cabomba cause it was just angering me in this tank and didn't look good in the slightest. Never really wanted it in this tank but I didn't want to throw it out either, but I tossed it anyways. I have more where that came from regardless.

I also removed the jungle val from my 10 gallon since it was throwing runners and I figured it would be less of a hassle in this tank. If it does well, I'll let it stay (I have it behind the L. meeboldii) or I will replace it with a different variety of Jungle Val (like the red one or the tiger stripe)

I'm kind of wondering if I should have anything growing on the rocks in my tank, and if so, what? Minus the big rock with the L. meeboldii, the others are just sitting there. I feel like, as they are, they would look odd once a carpet gets started and once there are stems and more vertical features in the tank. I'm just not sure what I'd want to grow on there.

Maybe a java fern variety that isn't Windelov? Maybe some kind of pellia or other moss? Maybe tie some dwarf riccia or HC down on it?

I'm also debating what I should do with the myro I have. I moved it to behind the piece of wood on the right, cause idk where else to throw it. To be perfectly honest, I like the leaf shape and all but I feel like this particular species is kinda bland for a tank that is going to have a lot of colorful stems in it. I'm thinking of maybe throwing P. erectus or stellata there, or even just a different myro species (one that I could actually sell perhaps). Any ideas would be great.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #26
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

Order of plants from barthog coming today. Probably won't post the pics until 2morrow but I am excited for this.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #27
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

Herotilapia multispinosa – “Rainbow Cichlid” x3
Pterophyllum scalare - “Blue Leopard Angels” x3
Trichopodus leerii – “Pearl Gourami” x3:3
Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri – “Endli Bichir”
Polypterus senegalus – “Senegal Bichir”

my current list of fish, just as a reminder. I'm hoping to add 3 more angels to the tank this coming week, and eventually another cichlid species and a black ghost knife or african brown knife.

Foreground:
Glossotigma elatinoides – “Glosso”
Cryptocoryne parva
Hygrophila pinnatifida (NEW)
Cryptocoryne sp. – “Green Gecko” (NEWISH)
Mid-Ground:
Cryptocoryne usteriana (NEWISH)
Nymphoides aquatic – “Banana Plant”
Nymphaea zenkeri - “Red Tiger Lotus” (NEWISH)
Nymphaea micrantha – “Green Tiger Lotus” (NEWISH)
Echinodorus sp. – “Rose Sword”
Rotala macrandra – “Japan Red” (NEW)
Ludwigia senegalensis (NEW)
Rotala sp. wallichii – “Wallichii”
Background:
Lagenandra meeboldii ‘Pink’- “Pink Lagenandra”
Echinodorus sp. – “Red Rubin Sword”
Hygrophila corymbosa – “Giant Temple”
Hygrophila sp. ‘Brown’ (NEW)
Vallisneria americana – “Jungle Val” (NEW)
Limnophia aromatica (NEW)
Proserpinaca palustris – “Mermaid Weed” (NEW)
Ludwigia sp. ‘Rubin’ (NEWISH)
Ludwigia glandulosa (NEW)
Ludwigia inclinata var. ‘Red’ {I think that's its name, going to double check} (NEW)
Ludwigia inclinata var. ‘Cuba’ x3 (NEW)
Ludwigia inclinata var. ‘Pantanal’ x3 (NEW)
Myriophyllum heterophyllum (MOVED)
Hardscape:
Wood #1
Anubias barteri – “Petite Anubias”
Wood #2
Microsorum pteropus – “Java Fern Windelov”
Wood #4
Anubias barteri - “Anubias Nana” x1
Anubias barteri - “Coffeefolia” x2
Anubias barteri - “Broad-Leaf Anubias” x2

Lysimachia nummularia (REMOVED)
Cabomba caroliniana (REMOVED)
Egeria najas (REMOVED)

I don't think I posted (or really took) any pictures showing these plants that I removed, but w/e. Anyways, as you can tell, I added a LOT of new plants into this tank today. Again, shout out to Barthog for this lot of plants. I still have another shipment of plants coming later this week, as well as the diffuser for tank. My co2 will also be up veryyyyy shortly. I also threw in my drop checker, although I'm not sure I set it up right.......

Anyways, I'm going to quickly go area by area to show what I've put where and why (just explaining the new things).

So, over here I put in some Green Gecko and C. usteriana. I'm aiming to make a sort of ring or square of various crypt species and varieties around the small Rose Sword in the middle, which will grow much larger in due time. I also placed my N. micrantha back here as well, since I feel the color worked in this area, and that the whole lilly idea works well throughout my tank (since I have three different lilly species, figured I'd divide them up throughout the tank instead of having them very close to each other). This should look a lot nicer once the crypts grow in and I get some other types of crypts as well, and the lilly will look amazing once it too gets some growth going. I'm thinking that it won't grow terribly tall but will still get some nice height and definitely spread out more.
Behind that, I have some L. aromatica going on. All of the new stems still have to straighten themselves out, so they will all look better once that happens. I'm wanting these guys to become a nice dense grouping that separates the crypts from the L. meeboldii. Since the L. meeboldii is so tall, I figure I can let the L. aromatica grow tall as well, but just so tall as to hide most of the stalk of the other plant, but still let its leafs be very visible.

Behind the L. meeboldii I threw this jungle val that had been growing in my 10 gallon. Figured this plant would be better fit for a tank this size, and I figured as well that Jungle val would be a nice contrast from the dark color of the L. meeboldii and would also make the back of the plant look nicer, filling in the empty space between the leafs of that plant.

My anubias nana varients are growing back slowly but surely. The H. corymbosa is growing well behind it, and I like the color that its leafs are. I'm going to let this grow very tall, which will shade the anubias a bit. In front of the anubias I put R. macrandra 'Japan', since I figure that I'd like the look of this plant to be a bit shorter anyways, and that its eventual bright red color would pop and draw a person's eyes towards the anubias. Of course, I'd trim it so that you could see the anubias as well.

My Banana is doing fine as always, and constantly showing signs of growth everywhere. Behind it is the Rubin Sword, which seems to be adjusting and growing ever so slowly. Growth will be faster once I clean my top glass and once I get co2 in here. Wedge between my Rubin and the wood is the H. sp. 'Brown'. I figured that it would look nice with the sword, and would be interesting to compare side by side with the H. corymbosa, since both seem to be capable of attaining similar sizes.

My Java Fern, looking sad as always. I hope the addition of co2 will do something for this plant, since I really like the windelov variety.

To the left of this picture is my patch of C. parva, which I am hoping to expand and make thicker. However, this shows my H. pinnatifida quiet nicely. I'm going to let this spread out and grow a little vertical, but nothing too crazy. I'm going to be putting something nice to the right of this plant as well.

Okay, so this mess (with my gourami's blocking it) is going to become a forest. Buried underneath everything are two Madagascar Lace bulbs, that I'm hoping will grow huge leafs that just kinda do whatever they want to do. To the back of this picture, closer to the bigger piece of wood, is where my Mermaid Weed is. Its already super thick, and I can't wait to see what this plant is like once it grows up, gets even thicker, and gets really really really RED. I predict this is going to be a plant I am VERY happy with.

The rest of the plants are different ludwigia species and varieties. This shot was taken from the side of the tank, but the way it looks from the front is that I have L. glandulosa in the back right corner, with L. 'Rubin' to its right on the other side of the filter intake.
In front of both of them is a single stem of L. inclinata 'Red?' that I am waiting on a better ID for. Its the one with a bright red stem and lime green leafs. In front of that is some L. inclinata 'Cuba', which I am going to let grow tall and colorful. In front of that is L. inclinata 'Pantanal', which is redder and smaller but still similar looking. In front of that, is L. senegalensis, which I am hopping will also get super red for me in due time. I have some other Ludwigia's that I am going to have going on in this area at some point, and I am going to be thickening out the ones I do have now as they all grow as well.

I'm probably going to wind up replacing the R. wallichi in here with either a different Rotala or with some Ludwigia, but I will see how that plays out when I get the last of my plants in.

More of my senegalnsis.

Glandulosa

Different Inclinata variations

I put my Red Tiger lotus in this area as well. Here is the lace trying to stick out. I might have to thin out some of the stems in this area if the Lace doesn't do well.

That's all for now. I'm willing to bet that I'm going to have to replant some of these stems a few times before they root really well, but this stuff is going to look so good when it all grows in and spreads and all.

I'll update this again in a few days once my co2 is running and my other order gets here and is planted. And by then, I should have cleaned my glass tops finally :P

Last edited by HybridHerp; 01-15-2013 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: Forgot a few things
Old 01-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #28
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

Hey, my stems are already straightening out AND only like 1 or two of them got uprooted and are floating. This is boding well for me :P

Also, filled my co2 tank today and found out that one of my plants was mislabeled by me. The thing I was calling L. inclinata 'Red' is actually Rotala sp. 'Bangladesh'.....now I just need to figure out where I want to put it (since that area I just want ludwigia in).

Last edited by HybridHerp; 01-15-2013 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: Minor Update
Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #29
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

I got more plants......I'll post the updated stock list later (or just write what is new.....whatever is easier for me).
These things are nice, but I'm done getting plants for until spring break.

Getting the last of my winter fish 2morrow as well.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #30
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

you got some cool fish in there.
looking forward to seeing the plants grow in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.