Removing vegetable oil from fishtank glass?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-21-2012, 02:47 AM   #1
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Removing vegetable oil from fishtank glass?

I used vegetable oil to adhere a background to my 5.5, and now I've taken it off, as its in a position where it doesn't need it, and I tried glass wipes, but the glass is still kinda foggy. Anyone have advice?

LyzzaRyzz's Tanks and More! - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=226122
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 03:04 AM   #2
paybackranch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Try straight vinegar. Another method that I read about was to use fabric softener sheets. Wet one and start wiping. Haven't tried the last one, but vinegar cleans just about anything off glass and it is safe around fish tanks. Can't hurt to try it!
paybackranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:24 AM   #3
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Oil and vinegar don't mix. You know the saying.

If this is on the outside, dampen a clean rag with odorless turpenoid and wipe clean.
Wear gloves.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:46 AM   #4
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

I thought about vinegar, but figured the same thing Mr green said, that it might not end well...Im gonna try it anyways, but after the dryer sheet trick..

This 5.5 is where all my baby snails are, and id rather not use any serious chemicals, even on the outside!

LyzzaRyzz's Tanks and More! - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=226122
Old 11-21-2012, 04:50 AM   #5
Kado
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Rubbing alcohol might work. Not sure how aquarium safe it is though.
Kado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

Let us know how that works out. The only oil-cutting thing I can think of would be Dawn, since, you know, it's made to cut grease and such. I know detergents+fishtanks=no, but if you need to, and if it's rinsed well enough...?

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Silmarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
lipadj46
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

isopropyl alcohol or acatone
lipadj46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
byork
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

If the tank is acrylic terpenoids like acetone could cause a permanent haze. On glass it maybe okay for the glass but not the aquatic life. I would try lemons or oranges before I resorted to a solvent. I have alway cleaned all my aquariums with baking soda and warm water rinse well never had any problems. Some things take a little more elbow grease but I haven't found anything that would beat it. Let us know what works.
byork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by byork View Post
If the tank is acrylic terpenoids like acetone could cause a permanent haze. On glass it maybe okay for the glass but not the aquatic life. I would try lemons or oranges before I resorted to a solvent. I have alway cleaned all my aquariums with baking soda and warm water rinse well never had any problems. Some things take a little more elbow grease but I haven't found anything that would beat it. Let us know what works.
I hadn't considered baking soda, actually. I'd be a little afraid of it scratching, though?

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Silmarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
lipadj46
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by byork View Post
The tank is glass, isopropyl alcohol and acetone are aquarium safe, just don't dump the container in the tank. I dissolve some medications in acetone and add directly to the water. I definitely would not use baking soda.
lipadj46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
greenmulberry
Algae Grower

I have always been amazed at how well newspaper gets glass clean. Give a light mist of whatever you would like to use to clean glass, I use vinegar, and wad up some newspaper and rub. Keep turning it to get a fresh patch against the glass, it works great.

I learned that from a friend who worked at a big research aquarium.
greenmulberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

+1 dawn might work
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh wow! So many tips to try, one of them has gotta work! I'll be trying them out in a little bit, I'll be sure to let you guys know!!

Thanks a lot!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #14
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'd try to get the bulk of it off with paper towels, rags, and newspaper.

If you are patient and determined, you can get quite a bit off just by scrubbing with a good, clean, dry rag.

Maybe try some ammonia if you have it - I believe that is supposed to help with grease, and it's a pretty common additive to a lot of glass cleaners.

Also, since it's on the outside of the tank, you could probably use pretty much anything, just make sure to apply the cleaner to the rag, and be careful when cleaning near the top edge.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Like dissolves like. Bust out the rubbing alcohol.
xmas_one is online now   Reply With Quote