lighting for 75
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 06-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
birdermom
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

lighting for 75

I am sorry if this question has been asked several times but I keep reading conflicting advice, suggestions...so here it goes again...I am setting up a low tech tank, 75 gallons. From what I have read I can use either one or two 54 watt t5 without an algae problem. Some say one, others two. I know the brand makes some difference from the par charts I have been reading so my question....what is someone using right now on a low tech 75 with no algae problems and successful low light plants? Not what a chart may say but what is on your tank...real experience, real success. Please provide all information, brand, how many bulbs, what wattage, and type of bulb. Thanks so much!
birdermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
shambhalove.
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Do a search of people using shop lights with t8s (like the ones at HD, lowes) on low tech tanks. I use a 4 bulb t8 on my 75 and its more than enough light, and a fraction of the cost.
shambhalove. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
RedseaReefer
Planted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to RedseaReefer

i have a coralife 4x54w t5 HO light on my 75 and i just started running CO2 to combat the algea that comes with it...

and before you say its too much light i was only running 2 of the 4 bulbs and the algea just kepta growing :P so be sure its not too much before you go all out. But for $200 Im pleased with its lighting and looks
RedseaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
Mjolnir1982
Algae Grower

I'm using a two bulb T8 shop light with a Hagen Flora-Glo and a Hagen Power-Glo bulbs. Make the tank look great and seems to be more than enough light.
Mjolnir1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm about to set up a 75 myself, looking at lighting options. Was curious if this is the kind of shop light people are talking about?
Qwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
amberoze
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwe View Post
I'm about to set up a 75 myself, looking at lighting options. Was curious if this is the kind of shop light people are talking about?
That is exactly the same light that I use for my 75g. Phillips 32wT8 tubes at 6500k. Grows just about any plant you want.

Edit to add, all four bulbs would be high light and I dose glut. I would take two of the bulbs out to lower the light levels.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
amberoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
shambhalove.
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberoze View Post
That is exactly the same light that I use for my 75g. Phillips 32wT8 tubes at 6500k. Grows just about any plant you want.

Edit to add, all four bulbs would be high light and I dose glut. I would take two of the bulbs out to lower the light levels.

Yup me too! I just spray painted it black and took the cage off

I agree with the light levels, mine is raised and i have floaters to knock it down a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130723_152948.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	180426  

Old 07-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
amberoze
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambhalove. View Post
Yup me too! I just spray painted it black and took the cage off

I agree with the light levels, mine is raised and i have floaters to knock it down a bit.
How did you remove the cage? I didn't, and its rusted a bit since being exposed to the evaporative moisture above my tank.

amberoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I definitely plan on floaters in mine, including lilies and maybe trying hyacinth... so they fixture doesn't let too much light escape out the sides?
Old 07-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
shambhalove.
Planted Member

Quote:
I definitely plan on floaters in mine, including lilies and maybe trying hyacinth... so they fixture doesn't let too much light escape out the sides?
No not any more than other fixtures. Your always going to have some spillover though, unless your light is sitting directly on the top of your tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberoze View Post
How did you remove the cage? I didn't, and its rusted a bit since being exposed to the evaporative moisture above my tank.

When i said remove i suppose i should have said destroyed...haha

You have to cut the cage in 3 places to slide it out from the hinges its attached to. Then cut off the hinges themselves and the locking part on the front, although you could just leave them, i was just taking everything apart to paint anyways.

I used a pair of good wire cutters for everything but im sure theres an easier, safer, less destructive method!

Last edited by shambhalove.; 07-25-2013 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: missed
Old 07-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So as I was looking into it, that $50 fixture doesn't come with bulbs, so including those, would it not be about the same price to just go with this for a nicer look?

And if that's too much light, this is an even cheaper option, but would that be enough to grow anything?
Old 07-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #12
du3ce
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

I have the dual odysea fixture on my 55 it does a pretty good job lighting the tank, i would go with the quad because of the depth on the 75, I just bought a 75 2 days ago was thinking about running 2 par38 led flood lamps
du3ce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #13
shambhalove.
Planted Member

Quote:
So as I was looking into it, that $50 fixture doesn't come with bulbs, so including those, would it not be about the same price to just go with this for a nicer look?

And if that's too much light, this is an even cheaper option, but would that be enough to grow anything?
T8s are much cheaper than T5HO bulbs, all said and done the total cost of my light (including bulbs and hanging hardware) was about 65 bucks.

IMO the first light is way overkill and the bulbs that are included are for a reef tank
Quote:
2x 54W T5 HO lamps 10000K (Free Item) 2x 54W T5 HO lamps Actinic Blue (Free Item)
The last light would work well and comes with the right bulbs but you might find that you would save money on bulb replacements over time with the T8s. Totally your call though thats a good deal either way.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I used the wrong link, this was the one with the right bulbs, and I understand what you're saying, but where did you get T8s so cheap? The ones I've seen are over $10...

BTW, my call is that I want to go with the cheapest option that will work, lol, just trying to figure out what that is...

Last edited by Qwe; 07-27-2013 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: btw
Old 07-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #15
shambhalove.
Planted Member

Quote:
I used the wrong link, this was the one with the right bulbs, and I understand what you're saying, but where did you get T8s so cheap? The ones I've seen are over $10...

BTW, my call is that I want to go with the cheapest option that will work, lol, just trying to figure out what that is...
They sell them everywhere but i think i got mine at home depot. They even have packs of 10 for $30.

I would go with either the shop light or that dual t5.

This should help http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368