Travelling with fish?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
betta lover22
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Travelling with fish?

As in on a plane. Across the country. The flight won't be more than an hour or 2. Now, I know different airlines will be well - different but if you have done it before and it all worked out I would like to know how. Fish will mainly be bettas and plecos. It will be in the winter months so some sort of heat source is necessary - got that covered. Bag/box will be insulated. Carry on or cargo? Obv. if it is carry on the fish will need to be in SMALL bags in small amounts of water due to the regulations. This is where I am not sure - and would like some advice from people who have done it before or from people that have looked into it.

Thanks in advance!
betta lover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
c_gwinner
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

Don't think you would be able to carry them on the plane even in small amounts of water, since your total volume would be pretty large. If you don't mind, can I ask why you are traveling with them? Convention or moving?

Canon Pimp Club #094
c_gwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

Shipping them sounds like it would be the best option.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Hmoobthor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

bag them and have them ship to your house..lol
Eheim Pimp Club #506
Hmoobthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
Vincent Tran
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Have you tried contacting your airline?
Vincent Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Edub
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Can you imagine the scene it would make when you run your carry on luggage through the x-ray scanner?

I agree with the other posters, just ship em to your house and avoid the major hassle.
Edub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

I don't think putting them in a checked bag would be that big of a deal. Probably should call the airline about it first. I mean when you send fish overnight they are traveling by plane. Carry on would be insane. That would involve keeping the fish in a few ounces of water while you waited to go through security. On the other side of security you would have to then dechlorinate some tap water or buy chlorine free bottled water (and get it up to temp. It's not out of the realm of possibility but keep in mind you might just earn yourself a cavity search for attempting to travel with your betta, not to mention your dear betta might be confiscated or thrown in the trash in front of you..
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
greenmulberry
Algae Grower

You couldn't carry it on, because you can only have 3 ounces of water in the bags. That's less than half a cup!!!
greenmulberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
betta lover22
Algae Grower

Thanks all. This is exactly what I am thinking - carry on obviously wouldn't work. I guess I was wondering if someone did it before. Carry on *may* work for the betta - have you seen the way they ship them? (teeny tiny bags in enough water to keep them wet) though it is not worth the risk IMO. I wouldn't be able to handle watching the poor think getting thrown out. Carry on is clearly not an option!

Checked bags shouldn't be a problem though - like many of you had said. The reason is that I am asking is because I am traveling and would like to bring home some fish that I cannot get where I live. If that didn't work (checked bags) I would assume that I could pack the fish up and have them send them to me the same as they would if we were ordering fish - pick them up at the cargo building. I would need to look into costs for that though. (much more then bringing home another bag - it would be similar to the cost of flying with your cat or dog $100+)

Shipping - though it does seem like the best option would be a PITA for me.

I will email the airline and ask!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #10
n00dl3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (91/100%)

I think it will work as a checked bag. You'll checking in a box and just pick up the box when you arrived at baggage. Just double check with the airline.
n00dl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #11
lipadj46
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

In this country you can carry on fish, they are exempt from the few ounces of liquid rule.
lipadj46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #12
betta lover22
Algae Grower

I sent an email to the CATSA here is the reply:

On behalf of the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA), we thank you for your e-mail dated November 26, 2012, in which you enquired about traveling with a pet fish.
When traveling from a Canadian airport, permitted and non-permitted items are regulated by Transport Canada and are enforced by pre-board screening officers. According to Transport Canada regulations, a pet fish is permitted in both carry-on baggage and checked baggage. As with all items in your possession, your pet fish will need to be screened, however the container transporting the fish in water is subject to the 100mL liquids, aerosols and gels restrictions. Water for transporting a fish is not exempt.
Please note that if the glass cases contain liquid, passengers are permitted to bring liquids, gels and aerosols through security screening at Canadian airports provided that the items are packaged in containers with a capacity of 100 ml / 100 grams (3.4 oz) or less, and that the containers fit comfortably in one clear, closed and resealable plastic bag with a capacity of no more than 1 litre (1 quart). The approximate dimensions of a one litre/quart bag are 15 cm by 23 cm (6 in. by 9 in.) or 20 cm by 18 cm (8 in. by 7 in.). One bag per passenger is permitted.

So in this case, you are allowed to bring a fish with your carry on provided the liquid amount is less than 100ml and it fits comfortable into one of the baggies. I know in the US the rules for bringing fish (with carry on) are as follows:
Live fish must be transported in a clear, plastic, spill proof container. In this case, the container may be larger than 3.4 ounces. A Transportation Security Officer will visually inspect your live fish at the checkpoint.
Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

Good to know I guess!