Looking for a good groundcover
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Michigan

Old 07-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
seanm1494

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looking for a good groundcover

Hello there,

Just want to start by saying that I am new to planted tanks (this site and the actual tanks) so I appreciate any helpful input.

I have started to transition my 55g tank from artificial plants to live plants recently. I currently have Congo Fern, Java Moss, Java Fern, and some other redish plant I picked up from work.

My main goal right now is to get a ground cover, I really like the look of Dwarf Hairgrass but it seems like it's tough to get ahold of in Michigan. I'm looking for suggestions about what groundcover you guys think I should use.

Also, I am willing to buy some clippings from someone in the metro detroit area (I am in southfield) if you would be kind enough to sell me some.

Thanks!
seanm1494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

I've had the best results with dwarf hairgrass. If that's what you like, you can post a WTB thread in the classifieds here and you'll surely find some quickly. I've had very good experiences purchasing from members here... better quality plants, fair prices, larger portions, etc.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Hello and welcome!

Recommending ground cover plants is going to be largely dependent on your tank specs, as some plants have more needs than others. What is your lighting and substrate? Will you be injecting co2? Dose or want to dose ferts? I'm going to guess you're going for a low tech set-up?

Honestly, if you're just getting started stocking a tank with plants, I would HIGHLY recommend stalking the RAOK (random act of kindness) and For Sale threads on the look-out for large plant packages. There are some very generous members here that offer big packages for very cheap ($25-45 shipped). I was able to moderately-heavily plant my 40b with a few variety packages, and I'm so glad I went that route. I have such a nice variety and amount that my tank looks lush and older than it actually is.
lullafishi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
seanm1494

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I guess I didnt realize that there was a WTB thread, probably should have originally posted there. I'll check that out!
To answer your questions, I am not going to be doing CO2 but I am dosing with ferts. I honestly don't know what brand my lights are but they are LEDs, probably 40LEDs per hood (2 hoods). If I keep my lights on too long I get a lot of algae so I just kind of assumed they were good enough.

Thanks again!
seanm1494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
Plant keeper
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I have 2 led lights for sale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.