My Madagascar Inspired Mantella Paludarium - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 11-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #46
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
I'm going to need you to hurry up and finish this...... lookin' great Bill! Finger lickin' good!
What is this, Office Space? Lol don, see that knotty hole in the wood where the black lichens are? Does that scream "plant a buce here!" Or what?

Btw, did you get your plants? I completely forgot about them.
Fishies_in_Philly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #47
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Gotta say that those mushrooms and the lichens are very cool! The lichen in particular really adds to the driftwood.

One thing about it, you're giving me a ton of new ideas for a vivarium I am planning down the road.
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #48
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade View Post
Gotta say that those mushrooms and the lichens are very cool! The lichen in particular really adds to the driftwood.

One thing about it, you're giving me a ton of new ideas for a vivarium I am planning down the road.
Thanks buddy. I had morality issues putting them in. I pride myself on everything in my vivs being.natural, but they look so cool!!

I'm glad i can give you ideas. That's what the thread is for
Old 11-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #49
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

I did get the plants, William! The Lancea is already turning that pretty purple-red color in my tank. Looks fantastic!!

You may want to re-phrase the "knotty hole," Bill. It could be read as the "naughty hole."

Too easy.......

Yes, a buce patch would look nice there, I'll admit!

Last edited by crazydaz; 11-29-2012 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: needed to add more words!
crazydaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #50
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Naughty, knotty, after 21 years of marriage, it's all the same. A hole is a hole is a hole....lol

Glad to hear that the plants made it in good shape. I do so love that plant. The colors they throw off under high light and co2 are awesome!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #51
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

here's a quick video of my first test of the rain system. close, but not 100% yet. i will tweak it over the next few days.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5raS...&feature=g-upl

Last edited by Fishies_in_Philly; 12-01-2012 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: dumb a$$ forgot the link
Old 12-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #52
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's pretty dang good! This thing just gets better and better. Impressive!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #53
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

thanks amanda guess my "pre-test" worked well. i was surprised how well it worked when i first fired it up
Old 12-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #54
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

That's disgustingly cool, bro. WOW!!! I might have to hire you to come down to The Gnash and build me one of these puppies!! For crying out loud....that's just blippin' radical!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #55
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

aquatic substrate in, with a layer of soil underneath :

terrestrial soil added:

finally, plantation soil added, we're ready to plant!!!

whatchoo guys and gals think???
Old 12-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #56
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
That's disgustingly cool, bro. WOW!!! I might have to hire you to come down to The Gnash and build me one of these puppies!! For crying out loud....that's just blippin' radical!
ummm....is that the hillbilly way of saying you like it???LOL and i'm only heading down there if Big and Rich are playing at the Grand Ol' Opry!!LOL or maybe a Brooks and Dunn reunion...LOL

seriously though, thanks for the compliment Don. this forum is so awesome. the innovations just keep flowing. i'm sure someone is already out doing me, just like people are starting to add tilly's to their tanks, (wonder why )
Old 12-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #57
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

oh, and btw, i'm currently accepting plant ideas and donations, because i still can't decide on what to plant in this sucker....LOL
Old 12-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #58
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

???? I'm a transplant from Detroit, Mr. William. We just got here a little over a year ago....I need at LEAST another few years to turn into a hillbilly! LOL! You might be surprised, though....some of these hobbyists "'roun' theze here partz" are quite good!! Not too many in Nashville "proper," but Chattanooga, Knoxville, and Clarksville have some pretty talented scapists, both "aqua" and "terrestrial."

I know that you were kidding. Still, I was surprised when I got here and saw some of the locals and what they have! You wouldn't would consider Tennessee a big "haven" for that type of thing, but there is way more of it here than anywhere else I've been, including Missouri and Michigan.

And, The Opry is cool. Come on down anyways!!

I would be happy to give you some buce's and anubias in a few months time. I totally agree that a nice buce "patch" around that wood "hole" would look nice! If you want, I can start trying to grow some emmersed for you, and that way you will have the option of not having to try to adapt them from submersed to emmersed growth. Anubias nana would look nice around the margin.

I would suggest that you silicone some rock (put a few jagged piece sticking out and an angle!) from the upper pond to the lower pond....that substrate isn't going to stay long on in between the two places for long due to the current and gravity. I would do it now before you fill it....should be fine after a day of curing, then you won't have to worry about fixing it later on.

Otherwise, it really is quite inspirational, Bill! Orchids would cool on the vines, too, btw!
Old 12-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #59
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Look at that tank! Awesome! I just got started with plants myself, so I wouldn't be any help to you even though I'd love to! It'll be some time before I have any plants to share...also mine are fully submerged so they would have to adjust to your tank.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #60
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

i actually am planning on orchids on the vines. Wifey is "surprising" me with an 8 pack of mounted orchids for christmas

i get what you are saying about the substrate in the upper and lower portions, but the upper portion has a dam of about 2 inches holding the substrate there. the part that is over flowing is just that, over flow. but i am going to fill it shortly and check it. if it does move, then there will be rocks there very soon.

that would be super if you could grow just one emersed, if it's not too much trouble. the lover portion is going to have 3 c. nurii planted there, and they will be aloowed to grow however they decide to grow. i'm also planning on planting some bacopa and lindernia in the back of the lower portion. they should both bloom with nice white flowers when they break the surface. the upper portion will have a couple of crypts from my collection as well. maybe zukalii, or cordata 'thailand'. i'm growing a c. hudoroi out in my 75 for one of the pots in the aquatic section, and i was thinking a c. x purpurea in the other when it's ready. hc and moss will be planted on the wood as well as a couple a. nana 'petite'. and i have an a. coffeefolia that is ready to go in as well.

now, i just need to decide on terrestrials. i already have a vanilla orchid picked out, along with a few epiphytic vines, but that's about it so far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.