Brazilian Sword, true aquatic?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 11-20-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
Trio123
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Brazilian Sword, true aquatic?

I have a Brazilian Sword plant that I have read is not aquatic and will die a few months after placement in the tank... I've had it for 4 months and it's not dead yet (even with my hair algae out break). Not that I want it to die, it looks good but I am just confused because I see there are threads about them on the forum and no one seems to respond with, "hey stupid thier not aquatic". Actually sounds like most people's are growing just fine.
Trio123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 11:28 PM   #2
Tinanti
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

You read right. It will take quite a while to die, but it's not going to survive.
Tinanti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
lescarpentier
Algae is over rated

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinanti View Post
You read right. It will take quite a while to die, but it's not going to survive.
That is incorrect.

They are in fact true aquatic plants,and they can be grown either fully or partially submersed.

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
The first effect of a disaster is to spread a deeper gloom than is due the occasion.
lescarpentier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
chikit2370
Algae Grower

Yep, these plants have a submerge and emersed form.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
Daniel*Swords
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you mean Spathiphyllum sp., aka. peace lily, with the Brazilian sword then the above is news to me. I have never heard it having a submersed form. Neither have I heard it will survive under water.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
Tinanti
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Thank you Daniel. I too was surprised to hear that a plant that eventually dies and rots for most people can be grown submersed for others. That is, of course, unless they have confused it with an Echinodorus.
Tinanti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
Trio123
Algae Grower

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...ord-plant.html

This is what I saw... maybe it's a common name problem, two different plants with same common name? I was wondering if there was some way to make it survive (pull it out for a season and put it in a mini terrarium?) just curious.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:15 PM   #8
Daniel*Swords
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think they are discussing the Amazon sword (Echinodorus grisebachii, ex-bleherae, ex-amazonicus, ex-parviflorus) there, or maybe the first person asked about a Helanthium species (ex-Echinodorus bolivianus, ex-E. tenellus, etc.). The Spathiphyllum species make sideshoots from the rhizome/stem but not plantlets or runners.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #9
lescarpentier
Algae is over rated

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel*Swords View Post
If you mean Spathiphyllum sp., aka. peace lily, with the Brazilian sword then the above is news to me. I have never heard it having a submersed form. Neither have I heard it will survive under water.
I was referring to this plant.
Echinodorus Bleheri

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
The first effect of a disaster is to spread a deeper gloom than is due the occasion.
lescarpentier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #10
Daniel*Swords
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ah, that explains it! What I've learned is that E. bleherae is usually called Broad-leafed Amazon Sword.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:08 PM   #11
Trio123
Algae Grower

Sorry to revive my old thread but I have a follow up question for you wise planted tanked tank experts.

I think the plant I have is Spathiphyllum tasson or the Peace Lily. Apparently it will grow submersed for months. My question is about the little tank I just set up for my African Dwarf Frogs. The tank is like a makeshift vivarium, water level is at about 6 inches. I know that peace lilies are the plant that was used for that crazy betta in a vase fad... so can they grow with their roots submerged and their leaves out of the water? Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 12-19-2008, 03:34 PM   #12
Daniel*Swords
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm all for reviving an old thread if the subject is the same. It's much easier to find them later!

I had a Spathiphyllum wallisii growing with just roots in water & the crown of the plant at the surface. It did well this way. The roots grew into the filter foam I had used for a DIY filter. Hope this helps.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #13
Trio123
Algae Grower

oh that does help! thanks for the quick response. I actually have a bare bottom (makes it easier for the frog to find thier food and keep the tank clean) so I was wondering what I could for the plant roots to anchor. Right now it is still potted but I think that may prevent the roots from growing.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:34 AM   #14
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Actually, I think it would do better potted (in substrate, not rock wool since that has the potential cause problems for livestock and filters) than loose in a bare-bottomed tank, if that's what you're asking?
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2008, 05:53 AM   #15
Trio123
Algae Grower

actually i was going to do like Daniel Swords did, "the roots grew into the filter foam". So I was going to cut a hole in a foam block and rubber band the plant in there until it grew roots into the block, and the pot does have rock wool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.