salmons 13.3g rimless: update 05/15 (56K) last photos?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-19-2011, 01:25 AM   #1
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

salmons 13.3g rimless: update 05/15 (56K) last photos?

EDIT: PIC update from June 2012, pretty funny comparing my first hardscape pic to this one

01/05/2012 To see the best pics check out the last couple pages. It was a slow start getting things together and trial and error...but is kinda interesting seeing how it progressed and how it looks now. Thanks for looking!

Hi everyone!

Just recently joined the PT, and would like to start a journal for my new set-up. Im almost a total noob to planted tanks, but have browsed this site for awhile and learned so much. I did start a post on it in the aquascaping section, didn't get any feedback on my layout so far....so I've decided to just start up a journal on my new set-up, seeing as how I already went with the layout i posted.

Set-up is 13.3 g rimless bowfront, fluval stratum for substrate, t5ho for light, fluval internal filter (will prob. upgrade later), fluval m heater, excel dosing for c02(may upgrade to pressurized, tank budget already through the roof) and basic liquid ferts. For plants i'm thinking either glosso or HC as foreground, and dw. hairgrass in the back. Tank is on a fishless cycle atm.

before I post pics, can anyone clarify the size limits for attaching photos on here so that they don't violate the board rules?? As i am a newbie, any feedback/info will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by salmon; 06-09-2012 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: title update
salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2011, 01:36 AM   #2
karatekid14
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Look at the first sticky at the very top of Tank Journal & Photo Album. It is called Photo Album Rules, that should help with all your photo questions. At the top of all the sections there are important and helpful threads (called a sticky)
karatekid14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:02 AM   #3
Regenesis
Planted Member

Posted by KyleT (Administrator)
Quote:
1. The image can be no wider than 1024 and no taller than 768.
2. The image can be no larger than 250 kb.
3. If you have many large pictures in one post please say so in your subject by adding (56K) or (56K warning).
I cant wait for pics! If you need your pic resized, Please visit the following: http://picresize.com/

Welcome to the forum
Regenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:32 AM   #4
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for your help KarateKid. Sorry probably sounds dumb, but I'm new to forums as well as this site. so am I I'm supposed to add 56k warning in subject line if there's alot of photos? (i.e. like 5 photos @ 100k).

Here's some pics for my new set-up:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-13.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	29961  

Name:	photo-11.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	29962  

Old 04-19-2011, 03:06 AM   #5
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks regenesis sorry missed your last post there....was dealing with the pics, i have more from start to now. still trying to resize it all.

pics are @ roughly 18hrs since i filled it
Old 04-20-2011, 02:46 AM   #6
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

anyone have any input regarding foreground and background plants for this scape? as im looking to keep it a simple iwagumi, either glosso or HC as a foreground carpet, and either dw hairgrass, maybe blyxa jap. or something similar in the back. as i do not yet have a pressurized co2 set-up, which would be best suited to get it started? aiming for excel dosing atm, any of these plants listed not like excel?

im still playing with the idea of the d/w tree in there, kinda feeling like it would need more similar tree(s) to have it balanced w/ the rocks.

is there a max depth for the substrate before it can start to affect b.b. or plant roots in a negative way?

thanks!
Old 04-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
Zerocon
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmon View Post
anyone have any input regarding foreground and background plants for this scape? as im looking to keep it a simple iwagumi, either glosso or HC as a foreground carpet, and either dw hairgrass, maybe blyxa jap. or something similar in the back. as i do not yet have a pressurized co2 set-up, which would be best suited to get it started? aiming for excel dosing atm, any of these plants listed not like excel?

im still playing with the idea of the d/w tree in there, kinda feeling like it would need more similar tree(s) to have it balanced w/ the rocks.

is there a max depth for the substrate before it can start to affect b.b. or plant roots in a negative way?

thanks!
Hey salmon, i think you should ditch the driftwood you've got in there right now, or add a couple more pieces or go larger, it looks cool, but it isn't very pleasing to the eye, also, try and go for some Guppy Grass towards the back of your tank if your keeping it Iwagumi, and some hair-grass for the mid-front section
It would look simple, yet awesome.

Pic is how you should have it
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
Bree
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That looks like a good start, can't wait to see how this progresses!
-Davey the Bearded dragon.
-Couple little rescue lap dogs: Boots and Teddy.
-2 Holland lop house rabbits- Percy and Pippen.
Bree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:27 AM   #9
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestion Zerocon! Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is guppy grass? I also feel the same r.e. the driftwood. Unless there was more of similar or larger pieces it just doesn't appear balanced to the eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree View Post
That looks like a good start, can't wait to see how this progresses!
Thanks Bree!

Can anyone suggest a low growing foreground plant best suited to this tank/setup w/o pressurized co2, or will excel dosing be enough in a small tank like this for say glosso or HC? Im worried that without pressurized, my light may be too much, so Im thinking of suspending it a foot or so above to help prevent an algae outbreak.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:05 AM   #10
Regenesis
Planted Member

Guppy Grass is something like a moss. It can either be planted or tied. The name really says it all, guppies like this stuff In My Experience.

From what I've heard, HC can be grown without C02 in the tank (Not sure if this is true though). You could try Dwarf Sagittaria (Sagittaria subulata), It is a low-medium light plant that grows a great little carpet. What about Microsword?

Just because you need C02 does not mean that you need pressurized. There are many Diy ways to provide C02 to a tank without it costing a lot
Old 04-22-2011, 01:09 AM   #11
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Regenesis i've seen dw. sag a couple times, but never really thought of using it for a carpet....but being less demanding, it might be an awesome idea. i thought i read somewhere it was slower growing?

since i have to take a day trip to get to the lfs, i might just decide on plants while i'm there which seems kinda silly I guess as long as stick to keeping it simple w 2 species (fore and back) I should be ok? i'll be going on saturday and hopefully be planting that night. no fauna plans until tank's cycled, already have some amano's in my nano that may end up in here....maybe some a small school of neons?

The only thing that steers me away from diy c02 is the potential mess and of course the fear of dumping my tank. can diy be a consistant source if done properly? as it is only 13g, i guess i wouldn't need much.

Thanks for everyones feedback so far!
Old 04-22-2011, 01:50 AM   #12
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

anyone ever keep lilaeopsis mauritiana? i think this might look good behind the rocks.

edit: just realized that this is variety of microsword, i always thought echinodorus tenellus was microsword. so many choices......
Old 04-22-2011, 02:33 AM   #13
Regenesis
Planted Member

In My Experience, dwarf sag will grow just as fast as any other plant in my tank (Im sure they would be slow growers in low-light tanks, but not highlight). I have some in the corner of my 30 gallon and its start to grow pretty big, sending up runners everywhere.

You have many choices when it comes to stocking your tank, such as: Neon tetra, Cardinal tetra, Cherry barbs, Celestial Pearl Danios, Sparkling gourami, Ember tetra, Pygmy Corydoras, Pristella tetra, Killifish (Smaller kind), Platy, Guppies, Betta (Choose tank-mates carefully), Lemon tetra, Endlers livebearers, etc.

I don't think you could keep a constant supply with Diy C02. I have something similar to diy C02, uses the same method, the Nutrafin Natural Plant System (With C02), and I have to change the mix every 2-3 months.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:41 AM   #14
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default planted update

hi all

purchased my plants today, didn't really get what I was looking for....oh well. picked up what i could, some narrow leaf micro sword and what looks like blyxa j. , it was in the assorted tank of plants unlabled beside the tank w/ labeled blyx that had a much higher price the clerk at the store didnt know any different either way....sure looks like the blyxa in there other tank.
really wanted the dwarf sag they had, but it was double the price of both the others

thoughts on the planted layout? suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rsz_dsc01239.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	30197  

Old 04-26-2011, 04:10 AM   #15
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

plants are holding in the stratum nicely, but next time i would probably use a sand cap of some sort to better hold things in place. i wish i had bought a bit more plant matter to start but we shall see how it fills in.

can anyone tell if that is blyxa j. behind the stones? i can provide a close up if need be. im a little unsure if it is and kinda hoping it isn't some sort of a non aquatic...darn pet stores...guess that what i get for cheaping out.

also, can anyone tell me how to edit the subject thread up top? (i.e. add an "update")
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rsz_dsc01247.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	30292