how do you purchase your shrimp
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-28-2013, 05:59 AM   #1
inthepacific
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

how do you purchase your shrimp

just wondering, when you guys go to buy your shrimp do you ask for the younger shrimp? i went to a lfs today and saw that they had some really young ones probably less than a few weeks old and wasn't sure if it was the best idea to get them that young. would it be smarter to buy those rather than the older ones?
inthepacific is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Juvies ship better so majority of the time that's what you get when you order online or buy from people on here. You check pics of the adults so you know what you will be getting down the road.
At a store, I'd probably go for adults or sub adults because it would be really hard to judge what a juvenile shrimp will turn into as an adult...quality-wise that is unless they were born at the store and you can see by the adults they have what kinda shrimp you may end-up with.

Of course, if that doesn't matter, then get whatever.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

young shrimp adjust better to new water. You want shrimp in the 1/4-1/2 inch range, not smaller than that
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Puddles
Suspended

PTrader: (26/100%)

Has anyone actually shown that young shrimp adapt better? I've never lost a shrimp acclimating no matter how old. I always thought it was a bit of a myth so that sellers can sell their young ones instead of mature breeders.
Puddles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (109/100%)

Nope smaller ones do adapt better. They have not been in one condition theri whole life then shifted toanother completely new one. Where Juvis can grow in the water they will be put in and adapt over time to it
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

How do you know how old they are? And have you acclimated thousands of shrimp of different ages to know this or just going off a small sample?

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
Puddles
Suspended

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
How do you know how old they are? And have you acclimated thousands of shrimp of different ages to know this or just going off a small sample?
Small sample and I base their age on the fact that they're fully grown size wise. Do you actually have a thought on the issue or are you just challenging me for the fun of it? It's just a question, chill.
Puddles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (109/100%)

I have probably acclimated 1000 shrimp never had one die in acclimation other than a mistake on my part. But I can tell you the Juvis color up quicker and are out and about more right when you put them in the new tank. It is just like people, if you lived since birth at sea level then moved at 40 to CO at a mile high you would have a hard time dealing with the thinner air. But if you were 6 at sea level then moved to CO and gre up in it you would never know the difference
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (391/100%)

My experience:

Adult shrimp will do just fine if you match your source water as best as possible. Plus side to getting adults is that they will breed right away for you and you can pick and choose sex.

Juvis to sub adult shrimp do best when adjusting to tanks with slightly different water params. However, these shrimp are near impossible to sex.

The key in any case is to do proper drip acclimation for all new shrimp. This lessens the potential shock that ultimately leads to death.
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddlesAqua View Post
Has anyone actually shown that young shrimp adapt better? I've never lost a shrimp acclimating no matter how old. I always thought it was a bit of a myth so that sellers can sell their young ones instead of mature breeders.
Well adjusting better isn't the only reason you want to buy juvies.

For one, when you buy an adult, you have no idea how long it has left to live. It could be 16 months old or 10 months old. Who wants to buy a shrimp that is going to die in a few months.

Next, just because you received an adult, doesn't mean it will start breeding right away. Most times adjusting to water is stressful, and shrimp aren't likely to breed when they're stressed out. It usually takes around a month, sometimes longer, for shrimp to adjust to my water and start breeding.

Also if someone asks me for adults, as a breeder I'm more than happy to oblige them! It means I can get rid of old stock that may die soon of old age anyway, but I also tell the buyer that, and they usually change their mind Or ask for a mix of ages .
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

I think I'm the only person who has had better luck with adults and subadults adapting than juvies. With OEBTs I had subadults, fully mature adults and juvies shipped in and lost many juvies in the first couple of days while the adults and subadults did fine. Then I got a batch of CRS and CBS in and lost, gosh, 4 or 5 and all that died were small juvies (this was over many weeks, not right off the bat, I tend to do 4-5 hour drip acclimations on my shrimp). The older ones have done much better for me. My experience isn't as vast as some of the other posters but wanted to add in what I HAVE experienced
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (391/100%)

Adults will be fine, just as long as they aren't senior citizen shrimp lol. I've kept adult stock straight from my overseas breeders for over 6months and they've been doing nothing but breed back to back for me.

There's other variables at play when dealing with shrimp deaths that we have to consider. It's not just one thing. ie Maybe these shrimp are genetically weaker as well. Most shrimp have been inbred for so long, they are super weak and will die even if you look at it the wrong way. Sometimes, you won't know until you've experienced it yourself.

The best thing for any shrimp keeper to do is to dial in your water params as best as possible to the source water for highest survivability rate.
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #13
Alpha Pro Breeders
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

I like to ship shrimp from 1/4" to 1/2" myself and prefer to receive them myself the same age. Many shrimp "NOT ALL" take a few months to acclimate and feel comfortable in a tank to start breeding. If you get them smaller in a few months they will be prime breeding age. Just my thought, here is a link on the subject.
http://www.planetinverts.com/Why%20S...%20Shrimp.html
Alpha Pro Breeders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 12:38 AM   #14
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (441/100%)

I think these are important notes to make.

Buying juvenile shrimp does give you a better sense of their age and allows you to keep them longer.

I also find that juvies adjust better to different water parameters because they're molting and growing more quickly than an adult.

Unless you're buying a $1,000 shrimp or want to know 100% what the shrimp's absolute coloration will be, I'd stick with juvies because of the added insurance of flexibility. I only buy adults when I want a specific gender for breeding purposes or when I have no other choice in the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
Well adjusting better isn't the only reason you want to buy juvies.

For one, when you buy an adult, you have no idea how long it has left to live. It could be 16 months old or 10 months old. Who wants to buy a shrimp that is going to die in a few months.

Next, just because you received an adult, doesn't mean it will start breeding right away. Most times adjusting to water is stressful, and shrimp aren't likely to breed when they're stressed out. It usually takes around a month, sometimes longer, for shrimp to adjust to my water and start breeding.

Also if someone asks me for adults, as a breeder I'm more than happy to oblige them! It means I can get rid of old stock that may die soon of old age anyway, but I also tell the buyer that, and they usually change their mind Or ask for a mix of ages .
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 12:46 AM   #15
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Yepper. Jake hit the nail on the head. Not much more to add to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I think these are important notes to make.

Buying juvenile shrimp does give you a better sense of their age and allows you to keep them longer.

I also find that juvies adjust better to different water parameters because they're molting and growing more quickly than an adult.

Unless you're buying a $1,000 shrimp or want to know 100% what the shrimp's absolute coloration will be, I'd stick with juvies because of the added insurance of flexibility. I only buy adults when I want a specific gender for breeding purposes or when I have no other choice in the matter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.