Aquascaping ideas - A bit stuck - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 11-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #16
owen.john
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

108 pages and an hour later It is a very long thread but worth a read. It is a fantastic tank; I was quite surprised to see on a video that they dismantled the setup completely, I wonder if you can enlighten me as to why they would do this it seemed such a shame.

I put together a list of the ones I liked and made a shorter list of my favourite ones and they all seem to give the illusion of a high back? Whether it be through plants or substrate this was the main characteristic that seemed quite common with many of the tank setups. One on the last page which shows this quite well is (the 46L Fluval): http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...+edge&page=108
I'm not at all sure whether the tank has to be modded to accommodate the number of plants in the tank or whether it would be ok with the standard lighting of the tank.

I've since looked at my tank and going back on what was said earlier I do think that the back looks very bare. I've thought of moving the rocks towards the back and possibly replacing them in this way or adding more and planting some very thin leaved plants behind/on top of them and like a lot of the tanks I've seen grow some form of moss or carpet plant over the top. I don't know what everybody else thinks of that but it's a suggestion. Other than that I will need some background plants just to thicken out that area and possibly some middle and carpet plants.

I've seen quite high recommendations for this site when it comes to plants http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk I'm not entirely sure on whether it is appropriate to post links to retailers on the forum so I sincerely apologise if I am out of order, this is solely a UK distributor but again I apologise if I am out of order.

If anyone would be able to make any suggestions as to the plants they would recommend that would be great with reference to the site above or another one if need be.

No noticeable changes on the picture other than some more active fish and more uprooted plants (also the fish). An off central view may give a better perspective to recommend plants and arrangements? I'm not sure but I'll post it anyway.

owen.john is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (12/100%)

I suggest the easiest thing ever for a newbie!

Nice pieces of driftwood covered with moss.

Different rocks with pellia on them.

I think you'll like that look.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

New to shrimp? Need help? Check out these threads:
|Essential tools to buy|List of inverts|Sage advice|

Mark A Belcher Junior, a proud member of the DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #18
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

It looks very nice and will look even better once those tiny crypts put on some size.

To get out of the centered rut perhaps you could put a back ground on the tank so the column doesn't enter into it? Something to consider for your next arrangement.

Like the mossy wood idea or you could just move a few of the stems forward on the right hand side so they lean forward so that end isn't so bare when you are viewing from the left.

The coconut shell with the moss ball looks quite nice now. I would pull it apart in a thin layer and really lash it down with lots of thread though. Thick bits will just die underneath and you might get a more grown in look faster. Not that I have used algae, only done that with Fissidens and java mosses.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.