broken light
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 11-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
Fish_Bone
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

broken light

I recently tried to repair a old 55 gallon light fixture. replaced the bulb and starter...it didn't work. so I bought a aqueon 24" strip light. well right of the box, the end of the provided bulb was loose. I got a new bulb, but for some reason it still didn't work. tried different outlets, a new bulb ( went back and got another.) again....nothing.

Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android
Old 11-12-2012, 01:43 AM   #2
big_trucks_1985
Planted Member

have you checked your power supply?
big_trucks_1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:32 AM   #3
Fish_Bone
Algae Grower

how would you go about doing that?

Old 11-14-2012, 02:06 AM   #4
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

I am offering this only because I have chased a problem before when this was the real problem: is the electric outlet you are using working right? Sometimes the contacts in those outlets get corroded, worn or bent, and things plugged in don't work. And, of course there are circuit breakers or fuses that can be blown.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
Fish_Bone
Algae Grower

yeah I tried a different outlet. neither the old or new worked...
I am just going to return the fixture for a new one I guess.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:48 AM   #6
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_Bone View Post
I recently tried to repair a old 55 gallon light fixture. replaced the bulb and starter
That would suggest the wiring is corroded.
It could easily be the the metal contacts in the sockets being bent out of shape.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

It is real easy to chase one's self around in circles. While you have tried a different outlet, are you sure that it was a working outlet? Step one for me would be to find a good outlet for sure. Take a lamp,etc. that is working to plug in where you want to use the tank light. That will tell you if the outlet is good. It is possible to find a number of outlets are all dead in the house. In my house there are several outlets in different rooms all working through a single GFCI outlet in a bathroom we rarely use. It can boggle you when it trips in the room where you don't see it.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote