Help Light brown spots on glass
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 11-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
hotrodprincess
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Help Light brown spots on glass

Do I need to worry. Our new ten gallon been up and planted since haloween. I have had a bit of trouble with some thread alge on my moss. And today when I changed water in the tank I noticed some brown spots on the back glass of the tank. I reduced the length of time our light is on to seven hours this week to see if it would help with the thread alge problem. Not sure if the brown spots where there before I reduced the lenght of time the light is on. Suggestions would be great.
hotrodprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
Crob5965
Planted Member

Algae really harmful just not the best to look at. if you have had the tank for 18 days it's probably not fully cycled yet so that is kinda normal. I have never tried this so I'm being kind of a hypocrite but if you leave it alone and have good water parameters it should go away on it's own.
I'm no expert but I have successfully kept a variety of planted freshwater tanks for about 15 yrs on and off and I have never done the whole break down and start over stuff that people always seem to suggest. if you didnt use cycled water from an existing tank or an already established filter it's probably just algae from your levels being a little off, I wouldnt worry about it too much if you dont have a pleco I would get one or some snails
Crob5965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
Crob5965
Planted Member

let me beat everyone else to it don't buy a common pleco for your 10 gal
Bristle nose only grow to 4-5" and would be better suited but even that may be too big they will be fully grown in about 8 mo. but you can always trade it for a smaller one at your LFS I don't see why they wouldn't want to trade a lg BN for a juvie when it outgrows the tank

of course you could do what everyone else does and buy a bigger tank for your fish
Old 11-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
hotrodprincess
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crob5965 View Post
Algae really harmful just not the best to look at. if you have had the tank for 18 days it's probably not fully cycled yet so that is kinda normal. I have never tried this so I'm being kind of a hypocrite but if you leave it alone and have good water parameters it should go away on it's own.
I'm no expert but I have successfully kept a variety of planted freshwater tanks for about 15 yrs on and off and I have never done the whole break down and start over stuff that people always seem to suggest. if you didnt use cycled water from an existing tank or an already established filter it's probably just algae from your levels being a little off, I wouldnt worry about it too much if you dont have a pleco I would get one or some snails
Our old tank pump/filter went out so we sorta scrambled and used the opertunity to pup grade to a ten gallon and get it up and running for our plants and betta. I did use the old sand and seded the new filter with the old one. but it came from a smaller tank I went ahead and wiped it off just because it buged me. we havent added any more live stock to the tank yet I thought it would be a good idea to have it running a little longer but the girls are getting anxious to get new friends glad to hear it will probably go away on its own.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:21 AM   #5
Crob5965
Planted Member

I meant to say that it's not really harmful sorry I just read my post and that was not really clear
Old 11-19-2012, 01:23 AM   #6
hotrodprincess
Algae Grower

Quote:
I meant to say that it's not really harmful sorry I just read my post and that was not really clear
I am glad its not really harmful. I was worried it was when I first found it. Hopefully it will go away soon
Old 11-19-2012, 01:25 AM   #7
Crob5965
Planted Member

honestly I know this is horrible to do but I usually put a bunch of $1 fish in my tanks to get them started I used to buy guppy feeder fish from the LFS but I dont think that's always wise as they are usually sick and might introduce some unwanted parasites into your tank. I personally never had a problem. Guppies, platy's and mollies are usually $1-$2 and are pretty hardy I usually use them to help establish a new tank and they are pretty fish for kids in a 10 gal
Old 11-19-2012, 01:30 AM   #8
hotrodprincess
Algae Grower

Quote:
honestly I know this is horrible to do but I usually put a bunch of $1 fish in my tanks to get them started I used to buy guppy feeder fish from the LFS but I dont think that's always wise as they are usually sick and might introduce some unwanted parasites into your tank. I personally never had a problem. Guppies, platy's and mollies are usually $1-$2 and are pretty hardy I usually use them to help establish a new tank and they are pretty fish for kids in a 10 gal
unfortunatly we already had the betta and he had to have a place to go.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:37 AM   #9
Crob5965
Planted Member

dont know much about betas but I'm guessing if they can live in a cup of water I think a 10 gal will make him happy. I think Gouramis are supposed to be part of the beta family but I dont know if you can keep them together
Old 11-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #10
Crob5965
Planted Member

just looked it up sounds like a horrible Idea
I wouldn't try it sounds like cats and other bottom feeders would be ok but I've never had Betas I'm an Angelfish person.
Hope everything works out for you
Old 11-19-2012, 01:59 AM   #11
hotrodprincess
Algae Grower

Quote:
just looked it up sounds like a horrible Idea
I wouldn't try it sounds like cats and other bottom feeders would be ok but I've never had Betas I'm an Angelfish person.
Hope everything works out for you
There are a few options that tend to do well with bettas but guppys and fish with flowy fins are a no cues bettas will nip at them and you have to have fish that are pieceful no fish that nip.