Why ADA Soil still cloudy
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 11-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
Master503
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (51/96%)
Smile

Why ADA Soil still cloudy

Hello,

I am create another new tank but try with ADA soil this time ... this is in 7.5 Gal nano tank, I put about 2 inches of ADA Soil and run two HOB filter, (x1 up to 7gal filter), (x1 up to 10g filter) but after 3 days, the water still cloudy after 1 water changed from the second day.

Any idea why? Do I have to change couple more time of water?
Master503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

PTrader: (33/100%)

yes, ada recommends doing daily 100% water changes. i would be very careful when filling the tank so you don't stir up the dust. I've been able to have a completely clear tank on day 1, just need to be patient when filling the tank
IWANNAGOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
yes, ada recommends doing daily 100% water changes. i would be very careful when filling the tank so you don't stir up the dust. I've been able to have a completely clear tank on day 1, just need to be patient when filling the tank
This. Make sure your filters aren't disturbing the soil too much.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
Master503
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (51/96%)

So you guys are saying need to do daily water change until it clear up? or ADA will be never clear?
Master503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)

hmm, that is interesting. mine was never cloudy really.

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
james0816
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)

My AS tank has never been clear. I've been running it for months now and just can not have a clear looking tank. I'm just about done with it actually. I've done countless water changes and haven't touched the plants. Just looks like crap. Always looks cloudy.

Sry..just my ranting there. I'm definately open to suggestions to resolved this otherwise, it's going go.
james0816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

i think it is 35-50% water changes actually
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:32 AM   #8
Vincent Tran
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0816 View Post
My AS tank has never been clear. I've been running it for months now and just can not have a clear looking tank. I'm just about done with it actually. I've done countless water changes and haven't touched the plants. Just looks like crap. Always looks cloudy.

Sry..just my ranting there. I'm definately open to suggestions to resolved this otherwise, it's going go.
Maybe you are disturbing the substrate too much when you pour in the water? When I filled my tank up, it was only cloudy for day one. It has not been cloudy ever since.
Vincent Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

For those of you with cloudiness problems, here is something to try:

Put a handful of the substrate in a jar and add water. Dump the water in so it really makes a mess. Then let it stand. No stirring or anything.
How fast does the water clear? DOES it clear?
If it does clear, shake it up again. How long does it stay cloudy?

Here is my concerns:
MAYBE MAYBE there is something besides particles getting stirred up by the filters in these tanks. I do not know, but MAYBE there is some sort of interaction between the water and the soil. Some chemistry thing going on. Perhaps related to the pH or the mineral level.

Alternately, perhaps you are seeing a bacterial bloom, that is growing and sort of overtook the substrate-clouded water. The tank was cloudy for a day with dusty substrate, but then the heterotrophic bacteria grew, and now you are seeing that as cloudy water, but since it looks the same as substrate-cloudy water you are not sure which it is.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #10
exv152
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Here is what ADA suggests...

"However, humic acid has a characteristic for seeping into water and turning the water yellow under an alkaline environment. It is more likely seen during the initial set up period of a tank, when Amazonia's black soil contains a lot of humic acid. Humic acid is a natural substance and it will not disturb the health of fish and aquatic plants inside the tank. But if you are not comfortable with the cloudiness of water made by humic acid, we recommend you to take out excessive organic matter by frequent water changes. It will help reducing the cloudiness of the water though the result differs depending on the growth of the plants and the frequency of water changes. You may also use NA carbon and let it adsorb humic acid dissolved into the aquarium water."

http://www.adana.co.jp/en/products/i...l_amazonia.php
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
75g low tech angelfish tank
exv152 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #11
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

I've never had any issues with any batches of aqua soil I've used (I've used several bags of amazonia, both powder and normal type). Maybe you just got a bad batch? But, again, maybe something is disturbing the soil frequently or you have a bacterial bloom. Frequent water changes and tank maturity will take care of the issues. The jar test should yield good results, though.