The Planted Tank Forum banner

Long Island LFS Tour + Franks Aquarium [Photo added]

19K views 186 replies 26 participants last post by  jellie 
#1 · (Edited)
What? another trip???? Yes... this time we're taking on Long Island.

Our band of brothers and a Sister

Itinerary consists of 7 LFS + Franks Aquarium
  1. Pets Warehouse 10am (Meeting Place)
    177 Glen Cove Road, Carle Place NY 11514
  2. Tropical showcase 10:35am
    372 West Old Country Road Hicksville, NY 11801
    (516) 433-0988
  3. Pets Warehouse 11:25am ***Wide Plant Selection
    1550 Sunrise Highway Copiague NY 11726
  4. Franks Aquarium 12pm (By Appointment)
    www.franksaquarium.com
    544 North Greene Avenue, Lindenhurst, NY 11757
  5. - = LUNCH = -12:45pm-1:45
  6. Country Critters 2:30pm
    152 Medford Avenue Patchogue, NY 11772
    (631) 758-6777
  7. Aqua Hut Inc 2:55pm
    264 Middle Country Road, Coram, NY 11727
    (631) 732-3620
  8. Magic Isle Aquarium 3:25pm
    205 Centereach Mall Centereach, NY 11720
    (631) 585-2939
  9. Jungle Bob's Reptile World 3:45pm
    2536 Middle Country Road, Centereach, NY
    (631) 737-6474

Tour route / directions

Local meet up in Queens @ 9am, in Brooklyn @ 830am (to factor additional driving time).

Per the map, some shops are 10 min apart, while others are 40 minutes away. We are cramming a lot into the day and take into account the fish gazing time so early departure is necessary. If time runs short, we will likely trim a few stops.

Here are some folks tentative in attendance:

From Brooklyn
People should plan to arrive at the location below 8:00. (8:15 at the latest)
Below is a Google map AND street view so all should be clear where to go and what the area looks like.

From Queens
All people are being pickup by Dan starting 8am for Queens departure by 9am. If we are ahead of schedule before 10am, there's a duncan donuts across the street on glen cove road with free wifi where we can talk and trade plants and livestock.

See less See more
#37 ·
I actually want white cloud mountain minnows - regular ones - if we're going Saturday or Sunday (can't make it Friday). I don't ever see healthy ones in stock and I *think* I can reboot the 20 gallon long by then. They would probably like more plants, but I can steal some from the other tanks.

#39 ·
it might be a more efficient dialogue to directly inquire what is in stock.

His forum occasionally lists upcoming shipments, at least it did in the past.

@emily, It would be a great opportunity to exercise any vacation time you had left or call the proverbial sicky for the day... just saying ;)

i am interested in white cloud minnows as well and looking for sub $2 each pricing. Pet Goods in paramus had them for $2 each, all with round bellies. Healthy specimens indeed.

#40 ·
Hi all, new guy here, no tanks yet but have been on the forum for a few months now and have seen all of the NYC gathering but im in suffolk and never had time to try to make one yet.

This question hasnt been answered yet: Where is Frank located (town wise at least, he does not have anything regarding location on his website that i could find), anywhere in suffolk/nassau I would really like to join :).

#41 ·
Hi all, new guy here, no tanks yet but have been on the forum for a few months now and have seen all of the NYC gathering but im in suffolk and never had time to try to make one yet.

This question hasnt been answered yet: Where is Frank located (town wise at least, he does not have anything regarding location on his website that i could find), anywhere in suffolk/nassau I would really like to join :).
Yes, I was asking the same thing!

#44 ·
Update from Frank:
His stocklist is upto date for the most part. He's getting more nano fish on the 25th. He has C. hasborus in stock and he should be getting some C. pygmaeus. He's also getting in some thai micro crabs. Frank was wondering which danios you guys would be interested in.

He's not sure when he'll be off but he should let me know soon.

#48 ·
Frank is in Lindenhurst,LI. If he has dwarf cories I'd love some. If this is definately a Saturday I migh be able to fit a few in my car from Brooklyn.
If I don't have to go look at wedding venues..
No ****ing way!!! lmao

Frank is going to have to be my new best friend since he lives practically around the block from me :biggrin: *really happy*

i google mapped Frank's aquarium yesterday and it showed Lindenhurst and i went "No way he's in my town this must be wrong"

I will most certainly be making this one!

IDK how far he is from the train station, but i live literally two blocks away from the station in Lindenhurst and would be willing to pick someone up if that is their only way in and Frank is to far to walk to. (I only have room for one passanger)

Does he specialize in planted aquariums or more of just breeds nano fish?

#51 ·
Even if frank is unavailable, i think its worth making the lfs trip out there. On the way back, could stop by tropical showcase and Pets Warehouse. I sort of want to check out pets warehouse ( Sunrise Highway, Copiague, NY) as its known for their extensive plant section... hmmm

#52 ·
This sounds like an awesome idea! I moved from Brooklyn to Nyack recently, so I am across the Hudson, but I have a mini-van, and if people are interested, I would love to go on a little tour of all these places and whatnot! I also wanna stop by Pacific on my way to LI. If anyone wants to do this and needs a ride, I'd happily pick up some fellow enthusiasts! Just toss me a few dollars gas money :smile:

#53 ·
When I went out there if I'm remembering correctly he's off on Saturday and I believe one day during the week. I'm pretty sure he worked Saturday because that's when I took the drive. I wanted to go Sunday when I'm out on the Island at my dog club. I hope I can go and he has pymeous cory's.

Plantednano, how awsome for you! Don't know the name of the main road I was on(just followed gps) but he was only a couple blocks up from the highway.

#56 ·
I came across several dozen pygmae cories last week in NJ for $1.75 each. Its just trying to work out the logistics of getting them to people is the problem. Didnt really post any of our finds since none of the folks here venture that far west and the idea of using twitter was shot down by so many people though i would have gladly brought them back.

#54 ·
Okay. Got an update from Frank. He has a decent amount of hasbrosus cories, sparrow rasboras, and spotted rasboras. He's getting in more chilis and phoenix rasboras along with microcrabs and pygmaeus cories.

He still hasn't given me his day of availability so I'm still waiting on that.

#60 ·
Yeah, we can try to make it another day next time. Also, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for peacock gudgeons.

Anyways, for those of you who are going, please post which borough you're coming from and if you need a ride or if you're driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.