Long Island LFS Tour + Franks Aquarium [Photo added] - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 12-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #151
sunyang730
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

People tend to go more to the business side, then a really hobby side. It all the people who own a fish store, are also their hobby, then everything becomes unreal. LOL ( I am sick today I have no idea what I am talking about.)

Please forgive me for my grammar mistakes!
sunyang730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #152
jellie
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Um. Wow. I feel like I'm really missing out. T_T
I remember my dad taking us from fish place to fish place finding out what's new, cool and talking with people for hours. Then he'd go home and tear up a new tank for them while we watched. You see where I get it from.

Sunyang : I am upset when I walk out the shop.
This all over.

Albert : on wholesale fishies
I must have missed this one too >.< (and what do you mean about the comment 'must be cheap'? You mean you didn't trust the source?)

Bonnie: I'm right with you, I have to keep myself on a very tight leash when visiting Frank's or I'll end up doing what he mentioned: buying more tanks. I'm all giddy just thinking about it, lol, dreaming about those Indostomus crocodilus toothpicks...but I will just live precariously through you for now. I hope you'll share what you pickup this weekend.

Sonicpath : I was just watching this yesterday, store in the UK http://youtu.be/wZDexLMZFrU
Old 12-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #153
franksaquarium
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
That's a nice story Frank. Probably a combination of age and concept that makes you feel it's not the same. The Cave concept of Ed's definitely had that escape type feel for me and got me hooked. The only store that I think came close to giving me that type of feeling in recent memory was the Aquarium Adventure store in Carles Place. Unfortunately the reality of keepiing a 9000 sq ft store didn't work out.
Yeah, that was a nice store. I even sold to them a few times.
Going back to the original discussion, I do believe the fish were of better quality than they are now. The amount of mortality is much higher than it was 30 years ago. Even the importers I deal with admit to this. I find that mortality is lower (and diseases easier to treat) in wild-caught fish than in farm raised , and it used to be just the opposite.
franksaquarium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #154
franksaquarium
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpath View Post
just came across a Japanese aquarium shop, Y we can't have one here?

http://www.woxihuan.com/26705704/134...html?isalbum=1
How long do you think a shop like that would stay in business here? Actually, it might do well in Manhattan, but I don't think it would be around long here on the Island. Perhaps I'm just cynical. But really, that's the type of shop I'd want to open. Perhaps when I win the lottery.

If you're ever in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, stop by Hoffer's Tropic Life Pets. One of the BEST fish rooms I've ever seen. Clean, well stocked, and people who know what they are talking about. I was quite impressed with it.

http://www.tropiclifepets.com/php/fish.php
Old 12-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #155
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellie View Post

Albert : on wholesale fishies
I must have missed this one too >.< (and what do you mean about the comment 'must be cheap'? You mean you didn't trust the source?)
It was a situation where Cost was viewed higher than quality of species like chilis and hastatus even when I specifically mentioned rare species. One feedback that stuck in my mind was "i'll buy 8 if they are under $1". Just goes to show you how hobbyists differ and People get sort of funny whenever money gets involved. i prefer to think positively of everyone so that last group buy attempt was the end of it. I still get involved with these are organized by other people and done privately.

I'm an advocate of supporting local business and have managed several regional LFS tours this year. I find this activity much more gratifying.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #156
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

Quote:
just came across a Japanese aquarium shop, Y we can't have one here?
Culture
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #157
Congee
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I would have to agree with Albert on this one. I have hosted an order and currently doing another one. Why do people complain about the price to me? People need to understand that the one hosting the order can't do anything about price. We're just helping the community out by hosting and that by itself takes alot of time.

So I do understand where Albert is coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
It was a situation where Cost was viewed higher than quality of species like chilis and hastatus even when I specifically mentioned rare species. One feedback that stuck in my mind was "i'll buy 8 if they are under $1". Just goes to show you how hobbyists differ and People get sort of funny whenever money gets involved. i prefer to think positively of everyone so that last group buy attempt was the end of it. I still get involved with these are organized by other people and done privately.

I'm an advocate of supporting local business and have managed several regional LFS tours this year. I find this activity much more gratifying.
Congee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #158
jellie
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
It was a situation where Cost was viewed higher than quality of species
Which is the root of Frank's observations today. I see. So the customer has changed too, probably from hobbyist to....consumer.

Has the fish-world changed since the popularity of the Planted Tank? But then there are still plenty of people who charge for trimmings.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #159
sonicpath
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (39/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by franksaquarium View Post
How long do you think a shop like that would stay in business here? Actually, it might do well in Manhattan, but I don't think it would be around long here on the Island. Perhaps I'm just cynical. But really, that's the type of shop I'd want to open. Perhaps when I win the lottery.

If you're ever in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, stop by Hoffer's Tropic Life Pets. One of the BEST fish rooms I've ever seen. Clean, well stocked, and people who know what they are talking about. I was quite impressed with it.

http://www.tropiclifepets.com/php/fish.php
it will do well in LI... also nowdays the real money is not in the livestocks, the store just a porfolio piece....more about to have a team doing maintenance and setup new aquariums for those rich ppl.

Quote:
Culture
should be introduced...
sonicpath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #160
plantednano
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Culture
I think one of the issues here is mostly lack of exposure. Our society's newest generations are so focused around technology and celebrities (at least from what i see), what is the newest greatest phone, what trouble is (insert name) getting in this week? etc. I know that i do not know many people in my age group (early 20s) that would have the ambition to set up a tank, monitor every perameter for the slightest upset and so on.

I think if mainstream society had more exposure to planted aquariums, nano aquariums, specialty fish there would be a higher demand for such specialty shops to survive. As an engineer who loves small technical details i am fascinated by planted aquariums with CO2 injection and other tech.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #161
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
it will do well in LI... also nowdays the real money is not in the livestocks, the store just a porfolio piece....more about to have a team doing maintenance and setup new aquariums for those rich ppl.
That's true in many situations, especially the all aquatic stores. They move most of their product through the installs and maintenance. The store can't survive on low average purchase from the foot traffic.

Quote:

should be introduced...
?
Old 12-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #162
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantednano View Post
I think one of the issues here is mostly lack of exposure. Our society's newest generations are so focused around technology and celebrities (at least from what i see), what is the newest greatest phone, what trouble is (insert name) getting in this week? etc. I know that i do not know many people in my age group (early 20s) that would have the ambition to set up a tank, monitor every perameter for the slightest upset and so on.

I think if mainstream society had more exposure to planted aquariums, nano aquariums, specialty fish there would be a higher demand for such specialty shops to survive. As an engineer who loves small technical details i am fascinated by planted aquariums with CO2 injection and other tech.
Not sure, look at Asia, especially Japan. They love their technology, how many big tech household names in the U.S. are from there, but look how ADA influences the hobby. Would ADA have made it here? Why isn't soccer bigger here. It's been here quite some time. There are just cultural differences.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #163
chibikaie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Interesting discussion.

I like to read about the different species, but I have two big caveats that keep me from purchasing any.

One is that I don't trust myself to care for them properly. I'm really not that good at this. In fact, if you ask me, I'm downright terrible. I don't even know what I'm doing wrong, that's how bad it is. I'm not going to buy fish and watch them die. It's cruel, and besides it's a waste of money.

Also, I'm really hesitant to buy wild caught fish. I'm not convinced that fish raised in large farms is better - I don't like either option, so I'm stuck not knowing where I would feel comfortable purchasing any fish. On the non-aquatic side, I heavily advocate adoption of animals. There isn't really an equivalent for fish/aquatic invertebrates.
chibikaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:07 AM   #164
franksaquarium
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibikaie View Post
Also, I'm really hesitant to buy wild caught fish.
Why is that?
Old 12-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #165
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

Did anyone go to magic isle on the tour? I was going to possibly go this weekend wanted to see how their stock was? Anything interesting?