10Gallonplanted's complete story of the first 10gallonplanted. Scarlet badis vid
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-20-2013, 04:06 AM   #1
10gallonplanted
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

10Gallonplanted's complete story of the first 10gallonplanted. Scarlet badis vid

Hello everyone. My name is Brett since i havent really introduced myself on here.
Well anyways it all started during the summer of 2010, when i discovered this UHHmazing website. I learned so much about the hobby and am still learning so much by the way. But as any teenage boy I wanted it nowww. So I threw together what little money I had and bought a 10 gallon, flourite, and a light fixture. The light by the way is a 15W T8
(Im so stoked that I will have glass cats again in my new dirted 55!)Long story short, I didnt soak the wood when i got it... lol dumb me i know I was a noob. The pH dropped drastically with that large stump, all the way to about 4 when I finally tested it. All the fish died from the ph swing. The planted thrived though. One day though, I noticed my rotalla leaves where being eaten, I took a close look at the plants and it was a green worm that took two leaves and glued them together to make himself his own little home. Well anyways, some plants thrived, some didn't here it is about 6 months later.
This is when i purchased microcrabs that lived for a year then slowly dissapeared. Neat little guys.
Then I got tired of the rotalla and finally tore it all down.
Video of my crabs.

I also purchased CRS around this time to add some variety to the hordes of RCS. They eventually died out too. They bred and had one generation but I think the RCS out competed for food in the tank.
Sorry for the bad photos. All cell phone pictures.
Then she was reborn! This is one of my favorite scapes I had of this tank. This time is also when i purchased Espei from msjinkzd. Where i also bought my crabs! I love her stock. I've bought thai micro crabs, amano shrimp, oto cats, and t expei from her. All seperate occasions i think.
T. Espei in the tank! Once again im sorry for quality.

Sittin next to my old bowl. I wish i never took her down!

Became lush as well.
Around this time i was doing some testing for dogfish's natural tabs. They worked well but this was a DARK time for this tank. Literally dark lol! SO MUCH guppy grass took over the tank. The substrate of the tank was almost completely dark. It killed many plants, but I was so busy with other things in life. No pictures here, sorry. I had nothing to be proud of. I almost dropped the hobby.
And here she is today. One moment. I have to upload this from my phone
10gallonplanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 04:08 AM   #2
10gallonplanted
Wannabe Guru

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW7P...e_gdata_player there she is today. More videos to come! Enjoy
Old 03-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
10gallonplanted
Wannabe Guru

Video of the male this afternoon!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
10gallonplanted
Wannabe Guru

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olNt...e_gdata_player
There he is! I can't wait for summer and I can get more live food for the pair so hopefully I will have a spawn. Oh and the female is from mini fish room!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #5
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Too funny! I just commented on it. Why don't you try putting some oak leaves or IAL's in there to see if you can get a mircrofauna started?
Old 03-21-2013, 12:52 AM   #6
10gallonplanted
Wannabe Guru

Hmm I should. And I saw lol. I did not tap the glass! I do have ials. Let me get some soaking.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:07 AM   #7
10gallonplanted
Wannabe Guru

Got her soaking
I have 5 of these poor guys who have been sharing a 10 gallon waiting for this 55 Gallon. TRUE SA Bumblebee cats. Love them.
So I was thinking about the stocking of my 55. I was thinking...
10 Amanos
5 SA bumblebees
8 Glass cats
and a pair of electric blue german rams.