DAS Aquarium Filter
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-28-2003, 02:09 PM   #1
mik3yy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I just aquired a used DAS ECO 45G aquarium/stand. Does anyone have this type of aquarium (ECO series)? It didn't come with any of the filter equipment. Should I just yank out the internals and get an external filter? Could I use what's there to create my own filter buying parts and pieces from other suppliers? Anyone do this before ?

Mike
mik3yy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2003, 02:04 AM   #2
RealFish
Algae Grower

I bought a used DAS about a year ago-basically the same situation as you. Mine was a 115 g saltwater setup with a skimmer box and denitrator chamber. I don't use the denitrator (put my CO2 reactor in that chamber) or the skimmer. It still had the DLS in place, so basically all I did was buy two new pumps and some PVC pipe to do the plumbing.

Personally, I don't care for the DLS. I cleaned it out last weekend and was going to replace it with bio-balls or some other kind of media, but I couldn't find anything locally. I would suggest you do the same if you don't already have the DLS.

DAS has a website that might show your filter and how the water flows through it.
RealFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 01:00 PM   #3
mik3yy
Algae Grower

Well... Mine didn't have any of the filter hardware at all... I was looking at the filter itself and wondered if it did a decent job of filtering. You think it might be able to support 5-7 Yellow labs and sand substrate? If it can't, I might just remove the filter box and run a canister. Any idea how hard it will to remove the filter box ?

Mike
Old 08-05-2003, 03:37 PM   #4
RealFish
Algae Grower

The filter would probably work, but I think it would be fairly expensive to get it up and running. I often think of just removing mine as I don't like it taking up the extra space in the tank.

I did remove mine when I first bought it to clean it out real good. Mine was just attached with silicone. A good sharp raiser blade did the trick. If you are going to remove it permanently you probably want to clean the silicone remnants from the glass. I think you can do this with acetone, but double check with someone else. I'm not 100% sure.

I also repainted the back of mine as it was a little scratched up. The filter and the back were both blue. If you are going to remove the filter, and are setting up a planted tank, I would strip the paint off and paint it black. Personally, I think black is a lot better for a planted tank. Blue is probably good on a marine tank. I'm not sure what you need to remove the paint. Fortunately, glass can handle some pretty strong chemicals. You can probably find something at Home Depot.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:53 PM   #5
mik3yy
Algae Grower

My background is black so I don't think I'll have to repaint it. How many sides of the aquarium was siliconed on yours? I am afraid I might remove some of the silicone that is holding the tank together.

I was browsing around on the net and found another all-in-one aquarium company that doesn't sell in the US. The filter design is kinda like the DAS filter. It is called the Juwel-Aquarium. It uses sponges I assume are like the ones in the AquaClear filters. You think this might be better option instead of the spool?

Here is a link to the Juwel Aquarium Filter.

http://www.aquacare.co.uk/maint3.htm

The aquarium main website is:

http://www.juwel-aquarium.com/index.php
Old 08-05-2003, 05:41 PM   #6
RealFish
Algae Grower

That would probably work, but my DAS draws the water from the bottom up, so the prefilter pad on top wouldn't do anything.

Mine was siliconed to the sides and back, it only touched the silicone that held the aquarium together at two point, one one the back and one on the side. It was siliconed seperately, so I was able to remove the part holding the filter without affecting the tank.

Glad to hear your back is black. I really don't like the blue.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:20 PM   #7
mik3yy
Algae Grower

Well after much thought... I am going to remove the box and get a canister filter. I hope I don't mess things up too bad. Thanks for your help Realfish.

Mike
Old 08-07-2003, 01:07 PM   #8
mik3yy
Algae Grower

Darn it.. can't get it out... What to do now... :x
Old 08-07-2003, 02:06 PM   #9
RealFish
Algae Grower

What is the problem?
Old 08-08-2003, 01:58 PM   #10
mik3yy
Algae Grower

Realfish, I can't cut it free... I think they silconed it underneath and to an area that I can't get to with my razor.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:48 PM   #11
RealFish
Algae Grower

If you can get one of the edges pryed up a little, you can use a long handled paint scrapper (raisor blade type) to get underneath and cut it free.