Transferring shrimp into new tank/water params.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 11-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
arsNatura
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Transferring shrimp into new tank/water params.

So here is my situation...
I have 1 adult and 2 juvenile CRS in a 4g that has been running for a few months with tap water (where the ph, gh, kh is higher than ideal). There is also a bucketload of pond snails, a pygmy cory, a guppy that came as a fry with my CRS bag from a lfs, and a PFR who needs his own colony.

I want to move my CRS out of there and into a CRS tank (already has 8 CRS that have been there a week) I've set up using distilled water and remineralizer that is set up with ideal paramaters.

What would be the best way to go about moving the 3 CRS from the 4g to the intended tank (11.4g)? I imagine a slow acclimation is in order, but would it be helpful to try to change over the water in the 4g as well? I don't want to freak out the other inhabitants as they all have been fine so far. Should I wait longer to let the 8 CRS in the 11g establish themselves? I am in no hurry but I hate seeing the juvies in the 4g fighting with snails for their food. I am always trying to take out snails but the tank is a hexagon and really hard to get my hands into the way I have scaped it. Thanks, I know I am probably over thinking this, but good to hear your thoughts as well Thanks

Last edited by arsNatura; 11-15-2012 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: edit
arsNatura is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

Now this isn't ideal, but I found it easier than all the drip acclimation stuff.

1 Take a medium sized cup or bowl

2 fill it up 1/5 of the way with tank water from the 4g

3 take your shrimp and put them in the bowl/cup

4 slowly over an hour, either with teaspoons or tablespoons or a syringe, fill the cup up the rest of the way with new tank water.

5 Then net them, put them in the new tank and discard the water in the cup.

You can always stick a bit of moss in the cup with them so they're not so freaked out.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

I'd just drip acclimate them just as if you had received them in the mail. It's really easy to do slowly if you just use a bit of tubing and a pressure valve from an air line. Just dial down the flow of water through the tube and out the valve to a steady, slow drip.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
rrastro
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I also use the bowl and baster method, except I often go well above and beyond an hour in terms of acclimating to the new solution. I put in roughly a 1/4 of the bowls volume in water from the original source and then add an oz or two of the new water every 15 minutes. When the bowl is nearly full I dump 3/4 and start over, continually adding new water from the intended source.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #5
Vincent Tran
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I would just drip acclimate them to be safe! Also, you would not have to be adding water every interval, you would just need to leave the airline there and come back in two hours or so!
Vincent Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #6
arsNatura
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Thanks, I will see if I can rig up a drip acclimater, didn't realize it was that easy, glad I wont have to send away for one
arsNatura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #7
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Maniac View Post
I'd just drip acclimate them just as if you had received them in the mail. It's really easy to do slowly if you just use a bit of tubing and a pressure valve from an air line. Just dial down the flow of water through the tube and out the valve to a steady, slow drip.
+1. Drip acclimation is the best way. If you don't have a pressure valve, then just tie some knots in the airline tubing.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
Zenzu
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Everything to make a drip acclimater can be found at a walmart/petsmart/petco

1) airline tubing
2) air line flow regulator
3) if you wanna be fancy (suction cups) wooden clothes line pins will work as well.
Zenzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Tie two to three knots in an airline and drip siphon new tank water to the container holding shrimp and old tank water. If container fills near capacity, empty a bit and continue dripping for about 45min to an hour. Then run an airstone in the container for the next hour or so. Then net and add to their tank.