Need help using Maracyn to get rid of blue green algae
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 09-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #1
Scifisarah
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Need help using Maracyn to get rid of blue green algae

I have a blue-green algae problem in one of my two 2.5 gallon planted betta tanks. They are the exact same tank, but only this one has a problem for some reason. I have tried many other things but can't kick it so am looking only for help dosing the Maracyn ie how to measure it, how much per dose and for how long and when should I do the water changes. I don't want to hurt my betta and wondered if it has worked in anyone's experience to do a half dose to get rid of the blue green algae. It comes in tablets that are meant for much larger tanks so I am worried about dosing it correctly. I removed most of the algae two days ago when I did my water change, but I can see it start to grow back on the sand substrate already so I'd like to start treatment asap before it gets too out of control.
Scifisarah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I can't help u with dosing, would refer to the package, but u would be better often determining what is causing the algae. Refer to the algae section and see what the causes of ur algae prob is and address it. Otherwise its just gonna come right back.
jeepguy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2013, 03:21 AM   #3
Scifisarah
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

It is blue-green algae, which is actually a cyanobacteria. I have figured out the things I was doing wrong but it is already established. But like I said - I started this post for help with the dosing in a small nano tank since it comes in tablets that are for 10 gallon tanks. It is made to cure fish bacterial infections, so the dosing instructions on the box are for that, not for blue-green algae I imagine. I was just hoping someone could share their experience if less than the recommended dose on the box is effective in this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy View Post
I can't help u with dosing, would refer to the package, but u would be better often determining what is causing the algae. Refer to the algae section and see what the causes of ur algae prob is and address it. Otherwise its just gonna come right back.
Scifisarah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.