Which is harder to setup: PLANTED or REEF tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
JarederaJ
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Which is harder to setup: PLANTED or REEF tank?

Im am going to be leaving reef tanks because im in college and spending a ton of money on a reef tank seems impractical right now. I had success on reef tanks but compared to each other, which is harder to setup? Im mainly just talking about the setup, not after its going and growing.

My tank specs are going to be

-48''x13x13 rimless starphire (black background, and silicone)
-Either a 2 or 4 bulb t5
-I have the space, and have it sitting around so im doing a 55 gallon sump (mainly to add volume so I can add a lot of fish)
-Ill probably get a CO2 system set up.

BELOW IS HOW I AM GOING TO WANT TO SET IT UP

The layout like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYeAeiOhh48&feature=BFa&list=HL1353015067

with a tree like this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWxtJDThLNQ

JarederaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
JarederaJ
Algae Grower

just any input would be great, I want my trial and error to a minimum
Old 11-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Optix
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

reef tank...because the learning curve is MUCH MUCH more $$$$$$$$$
ΔΙΡΤ Fraternity, Inc. #33
Optix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Both can be easy or hard. I think planted with easy to grow plants is the easiest (even easier than freshwater without plants) but you can easily ramp it up to a high degree of difficulty with sensitive, high light plants, high co2 levels, touchy fish, heavy feet dosing, etc.

You can also do a fish only salt water as long as you have a place to mix the water (not that hard, but not as forgiving to me), or a whole hog, can't miss a day or else reef.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

For me, reef is easier... all I do is water changes and dose alk and calc every other day or so and my coralline and corals are growing. I don't really test anything and eye it.

For the planted tank, I have issues with plants browning on my swords and algae growing on the glass and some plants. It's not really that bad but the growth is slower than what I expected. Dosing ferts has been somewhat of a challenge to get it all right and it's a bit more maintenance because of trimming some of the faster growing plants in my 55G that I trimmed half and grows back pretty quickly compared to the others.
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
JarederaJ
Algae Grower

what about those two videos? are the plants in there pretty easy to grow?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
JarederaJ
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach_six View Post
For me, reef is easier... all I do is water changes and dose alk and calc every other day or so and my coralline and corals are growing. I don't really test anything and eye it.

For the planted tank, I have issues with plants browning on my swords and algae growing on the glass and some plants. It's not really that bad but the growth is slower than what I expected. Dosing ferts has been somewhat of a challenge to get it all right and it's a bit more maintenance because of trimming some of the faster growing plants in my 55G that I trimmed half and grows back pretty quickly compared to the others.
as far as the trimming though, if you were to take a vaccation wouldnt they just get really long and maybe start to die in some spots?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:04 PM   #8
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

The small leaved plant in the first video looks like HC to me. Never grown it but it gives people here a lot to talk about. The grassy plant looks like mini sword plant. That I have grown and it was a nutrient hog that collected algae if it wasn't getting what it needed. The technique of mixing species like that is quite advanced. I haven't ever actually failed with moss but it doesn't always do what I think it will do.

The plant mass in that sort of tank is low which leaves room for algae to attack. A tank crammed with lots of plants is easier to take care of.

The art aspect of such tanks is huge. You might consider buying at least twice as much rock and wood as you think you need so you can play with your hard scape to get it just right.

You might check out Francis Xavier's threads on how to do such a tank. One is - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=168992
Old 11-16-2012, 01:55 AM   #9
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Nothing is "hard" when you're passionate about doing it. In this hobby it really is just a matter of research and planning....that and taking one's time.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:58 AM   #10
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hobby should be fun not hard xD
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:32 AM   #11
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

I forgot. The dimensions of your tank are great, very close to the Mr. Aqua 12 at nearly 4x wider than it is tall. Check out the 12 gallon club for some really great scapes. Might fine tune your plans a little bit.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ight=aqua+club

Actual time to set up the tank after you have all the bits? No idea. I took apart and put back together my 180 gallon in 14 hours last December. Only thing I didn't do was redo the plumbing under the tank or have to rinse out substrate.

If a planted tank is new then you will want to do a lot of reading up on how tos and whys and all that stuff. Maybe because you have had some tanks you won't be confused by all the different methods we all use, some have a terrible time sorting through all the information. That takes more time for me than anything else. That December redo might have taken me 14 hours to finish but the research and planning took more like 140 hours.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:12 AM   #12
Tylt33
Algae Grower

In terms of time and money, reefs are a deeper hole to sink both into. I dropped around $10k on my reef over a three year span before burning out. I'm doing a low tech planted now and I love it and it's a fraction of the cost and time.
Tylt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:19 AM   #13
watercage
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Im a newly active member here who just started a 40B planted tank 2 weeks ago.

I have a 58G mixed reef that I've had since 2004.

Right now, I feel like some of you might feel about saltwater about freshwater - new, nervous, uninformed, making mistakes

Its really all about experience. Although, with my SW I started VERY slowly, gradually getting more complex - whereas I just started a high-tech planted tank right from nothing. I will say knowing saltwater helps with things like water chemistry, ph controllers, and having alot of the equipment already.
watercage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #14
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't think one is harder than the other, just different.

A fowlr tank and a low-tech planted tank really aren't that different, both have some special care which needs to be attended to but both are fairly cheap to start and maintain with the edge in cost going to freshwater.
Stepping up to a full reef vs. high-tech, I still think freshwater has the lower cost by a pretty significant margin but they both require daily or at the very least weekly attention to ensure they are at their peak.

Pick your poison but if I were you and wanted something simple I'd set up a freshwater tank with some crypts and moss. Do your weekly or bi-weekly water changes and toss some ferts in a couple times a week.
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:36 AM   #15
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

They can each be as simple or as complex as you like.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote