redoing substrate in 29 without tank cycling
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 11-21-2012, 02:10 AM   #1
littletim
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

redoing substrate in 29 without tank cycling

I have plain inert quartz gravel in my 29 right now and am trying to go high tech, I was thinking a layer of sand with some osmocote plus mixed in, a layer of eco complete on top of that, and then a layer of plain black gravel. I want the substrate to be 2 or 3 inches deep, I dont really want to use the black gravel because of the size difference compared to ec or sand but another bag of ec or a bag of fluorite black just costs too much.

my first question is how do you even replace the substrate in an established tank, I would think that no matter what you do its gonna cycle again or mini cycle. I'm also not excited about catching all the fish out of there and putting them in a bucket.

secondly I've already rinsed everything but I've never used or rinsed sand before, when I rinsed the sand there was a thick layer of sand floating at the surface of the bucket. It looked like quicksand but black. I poured it off but every time I sprayed the sand it would kick up more and more. I think i lost like 2 or 3 lbs of sand that way and then realized I might be doing something wrong, does sand waterlog or what? will it matter since its going to be the bottom layer?
littletim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
etgregoire
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I have seen a few threads on this topic recently, maybe if you search you can find them? I have better luck sometimes searching for things on this site via google by including "plantedtank" in my search terms.

From what I remember, I think most people replace the substrate in phases to help lessen the amount of mini-cycling effect.
etgregoire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Moving or redoing a tank with Fish and Bacteria
1) Set up new water ahead of time if needed. I use garbage cans. Add dechlor, minerals, peat... whatever is needed to make the water ready for the fish. Make sure this water is the right temperature. (An aquarium heater can be suspended in a garbage can)

2) Put some water from the tank into buckets for the fish. Cover the buckets with the fish. Fish jump. Separate buckets for separate species, or aggressive fish. Loaches separate. Stressed Loaches can produce excess slime coat that seems to kill other species in small volumes of water. Keep the beneficial bacteria alive in the filter, and on the decorations by keeping these things damp. The bacteria does not need to be covered in water. It does need high humidity and oxygen.

3) Remove old substrate. You could skim the top 1/2" and set that aside separate from the rest.

4) Set up tank, decor, substrate, a few inches of water... then PLANT. Mist the plants a lot.

5) Fill the tank with mostly new water. You could use some reserved water, but it is not necessary if you have followed my step 1. Put a plate or plastic bag over the substrate and run the water in slowly so it seeps into the substrate. This will reduce cloudiness. Put the reserved 1/2" of old substrate into mesh bags and hang it where there is good water movement. This is the part of the substrate that is richest in bacteria.

6) When it is time to add the fish, DO NOT use the water from their bucket(s). Stressed fish produce more ammonia and stress hormones. You do not want these in the new tank.

Best ways to keep the nitrifying bacteria:
Keep most of the decor, the upper layer of substrate and old filter when you change the substrate. If you can add more plants, especially fast growing ones that will help, too.
If you know ahead of time that you will be (possibly) killing off some bacteria you can grow more yourself in a bucket. Set up a fishless cycle using any sort of pump or bubbler to keep the water moving, and add some bio media, or even a sponge. Anything the bacteria will grow on. Add ammonia, and follow the fishless cycle until the bio media is rich in bacteria. (Takes about 3 weeks) Then add this to the filter or just hang it in the tank where there is good water movement.

Live plants are a very good biological filter. Live plants need good light to be efficient filters.

Add Dr. Tim's One and Only or Tetra Safe Start to the tank. These and certain other products contain Nitrospira species of bacteria. Read the label, and do not waste your money on anything else.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.