Help choosing right amounts!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 11-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
mcfly84
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Help choosing right amounts!

Okay I've read the sticky for the pros and cons thread and have made up my mind.

Ada Aquasoil or fluval(?) as a base for nutrients and have read mixed reviews I will probably choose which ever suits my budget.

What I plan to do is use either mentioned above as a base and cap with caribsea peace river gravel.

Ending with a depth of approx. 2.25 inches. I do want to put a couple of midground swords in the tank as well. My tank dimensions are 36Wx12Dx16H

My question is: how much do I need? The aquasoil confuses me because of the liter conversion(Honestly didn't really look for the conversion) I know three liters is roughly one gallon but it doesnt really translate well when factoring for the density.

I'm pretty comitted to this as me and my late stepfather used this years ago in our 180 gallon with great results.

Really just looking for the proper ratio and amount of each I need to purchase with out going overboard.

Thanks
mcfly84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

For a rough estimate, a liter is just a tad bigger then a quart, so 4 liters is about equivalent to a gallon. You could just measure the inside of the tank (lengthxwidth) and then figure how deep you want that layer, and convert that to gallons (or liters if you want to be more precise).

Also, not sure why you would use a cap for that substrate, I was under the impression that capping dirt and what not served to help slow the leeching of ferts and what not into the watercolumn, and also to keep finer/lighter substrate contained so it didn't blow all over the tank and cloud things up.

I've found this kinda useful to play with:

http://www.plantedtank.net/substratecalculator.html
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote