XP3 and outflow
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-02-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
snakebite
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

XP3 and outflow

I hooked up my xp3 and was very disappointed with the outflow. This filter is rated at 350 gph not including media and an inline hydor heater about a foot or two from the exit of the canister so minus 50 gph or so. I do not have a spraybar and I felt the outflow and barely felt the pressure of the water 2"- 3" away. Everyone swears by them so did I actually hook it up incorrectly?
snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
fish878
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

My XP3 has greater outflow than that. Very powerful. Check for obstructions with the inlet pipes and media baskets, kinks in hoses. Also, make sure the canister is filled up completely.
fish878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
snakebite
Algae Grower

I've read nothing but good things about the xp3. People using it on other tanks larger than 40g but after hooking it up there was no way this thing was going to filter my 40g. No water circulation at all, and the intake valve barely sucked anything up. I think one of the issue with this canister filter is the water level stops about an 1" short from the top. I saw a youtube video where the owner unclamps one of the clips and lets the water fill up to the top then clips it back. I'll try that and see what happens.

Any advice from xp3 owners will be appreciated.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
mott
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Hook up the spraybar, it's pretty deceiving with just an open tube, that's how I run my 2026, one side of my tank has a spraybar on 2217 the other side is just a gentle current to help with the circular flow from the 2026. There was way too much current in the tank this way so I came up with that solution and it works great!

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

ur not gonna feel pressure on it. but if u measure the flow, its probably prety close
Old 11-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
hbosman
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

You might try it with the Jet nozzle installed. You should feel it then or, lift it out of the water and you should see obvious flow. I have an XP3 and it doesn't feel strong with an open nozzle. Especially since it has a CO2 Reactor on the output. But when I drain water during a water change, I keep the XP3 running and the output noise will be annoying when its below water level. :-)
hbosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
snakebite
Algae Grower

Could it be that the inline heater is restricting that much flow? I highly doubt it but again I'm new to all of this. Without the spraybar, the water seems like it's flow only half of the tube and not pouring out of it.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
snakebite
Algae Grower

I need some assistance folks. I haven't had the filter running for acouple days now. Plugged her in lastnight and no intake or outflow pressue, water just stays in the canister. Checked all connections and everything seems to be air tight.

Any ideas?
Old 11-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)

Can you hear the propeller moving?

take the lid off and plug it in real quick to hear if the propeller is even spining.
WATCH OUT the lid does hold a bit of water.
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
trapperwolves
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I have an inline heater on my Rena and I still have to restrict the flow because of the power it puts out.

Try these to see if it will help:

Make sure there is water in the inflow hoses. Lift the handle on the quick disconnect and re-fill. I would also recommend putting some pipe thread tape on the inflow cap threads to help prevent air from entering.

If that doesn't work remove the motor housing from the top of the canister shell and check the motor propeller. Turn the motor upside down and give the cover about a half turn to get it open and you will be able to see the propeller--remove and clean. After you put it back in you should be able to turn the propeller about a half a turn pretty easily if I'm not mistaken.

If it still doesn't work you can call Rena tech support at 1-800-847-0649
Old 11-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
snakebite
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4n View Post
Can you hear the propeller moving?

take the lid off and plug it in real quick to hear if the propeller is even spining.
WATCH OUT the lid does hold a bit of water.
Propeller is working...what I did is disconnect the clip and slightly lift it up to here if it's working propertly. I tried to tilt the canister to try and minimize air pockets and unclip one side to have the water fill all the way to the top, still nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperwolves View Post
I have an inline heater on my Rena and I still have to restrict the flow because of the power it puts out.

Try these to see if it will help:

Make sure there is water in the inflow hoses. Lift the handle on the quick disconnect and re-fill. I would also recommend putting some pipe thread tape on the inflow cap threads to help prevent air from entering.

If that doesn't work remove the motor housing from the top of the canister shell and check the motor propeller. Turn the motor upside down and give the cover about a half turn to get it open and you will be able to see the propeller--remove and clean. After you put it back in you should be able to turn the propeller about a half a turn pretty easily if I'm not mistaken.

If it still doesn't work you can call Rena tech support at 1-800-847-0649
I'll give this a try, it seems like I'm having no luck with this xp3. I guess my last resort is to call tech support. I rather try to address the issue with this once instead of purchasing another xp3. This is the only delay right now to getting my tank setup and it seems like I'm not going anywhere with it.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #12
cichnatic
Planted Member

I have not seen any post regarding how you prime the Rena. Can you explain to us how you did it?
EHEIM #525
cichnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
snakebite
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichnatic View Post
I have not seen any post regarding how you prime the Rena. Can you explain to us how you did it?
  • Pulled the prime handle up
  • Loosen the cap from the intake
  • Pour water until tube is full
  • Tighten cap on intake
  • Push prime handle back down

Last week when I primed the filter without turning it on, the water will circulate(Water sucked into intake and out the outflow) but now it doesn't go anywhere. I try to back track my steps but I can't find the issue and pretty much given up.

Anything I missed?
Old 11-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
umdterps96
Planted Member

PTrader: (23/100%)

there are some good videos on you tube from priming the Rena. I had a similar problem. I put a very small amount of vasoline around the seal of the lid and it solved my issue...
umdterps96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #15
cichnatic
Planted Member

Video of setting up the Rena XP.

http://www.rena.net/videos/filstar-xp.html

Do you have any sagging of your tubes? That might be a problem.
EHEIM #525
cichnatic is offline   Reply With Quote