Placement of Check Valves DIY CO2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 03:57 AM   #1
P015
Algae Grower
 
P015's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 83
Default

Placement of Check Valves DIY CO2


Hello guys, I had a question about where to place the check valves for DIY Co2. I am going to be using the schematic in this link below.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=152916

The air lining in the 2 liters doesn't come into contact with the actual yeast/sugar mixture right? I read it is supposed to be a few inches above the actual liquid. (Please correct me if I am wrong)

This lining doesn't connect to the tank straight, so do I need the check valves between the 2 liters and the separator bottle or can I just place one between the separator bottle and the lining into the tank?
(The lining doesn't directly connect to the 2 liters, so I was wondering why are those check valves needed? Wouldn't I just need a valve between the separator bottle and tank to prevent siphoning of tank water into the bottle?

Thanks for the help guys!
P015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-15-2012, 05:15 AM   #2
Darkblade48
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P015 View Post
The air lining in the 2 liters doesn't come into contact with the actual yeast/sugar mixture right? I read it is supposed to be a few inches above the actual liquid. (Please correct me if I am wrong)
You are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P015 View Post
This lining doesn't connect to the tank straight, so do I need the check valves between the 2 liters and the separator bottle or can I just place one between the separator bottle and the lining into the tank?
I used to only use one check valve (between the aquarium and the separator bottle).

Hope this helps,
__________________
Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Barbgirl
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fort Knox
Posts: 401
Default

I personally use check valves between every bottle including between both yeast bottles, yeast bottles and drop checker, drop checker and tank.

The reason I do is that I alternate bottles that I change; bottle #1 this week and #2 next week to keep a more steady flow of CO2. When changing the bottles I don't want to lose the pressure that had already built up (takes too freaking long) and the check valves prevent any loss.

In short: Check valves prevent pressure loss.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
*I'm Barbbb girl, in a fishy world! No more plastic, It's fantastic!*
Barbgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:46 AM   #4
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Bandit1200's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbgirl View Post
I personally use check valves between every bottle including between both yeast bottles, yeast bottles and drop checker, drop checker and tank.

The reason I do is that I alternate bottles that I change; bottle #1 this week and #2 next week to keep a more steady flow of CO2. When changing the bottles I don't want to lose the pressure that had already built up (takes too freaking long) and the check valves prevent any loss.

In short: Check valves prevent pressure loss.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

+1 to this. This is how I ran mine before I went pressurized. This way your system continues to bubble instead of having to wait for the entire thing to get up to speed.
Bandit1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012