Betta moss forest
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-26-2015, 02:01 PM   #1
alex.lexes

PTrader: (0/0%)

Betta moss forest

Hi everyone, kinda new to the planted tank business. Here's my 25L (6.6Gallons) nano tank with internal overflow sump.

It has Christmas moss and Flame moss.
Fauna include a betta (double-tail half moon), 2 Amano shrimp and 1 Oto.
I dose 0.6ml of excel daily and have a DIY Co2 delivered through a the filter pump.

All comments welcome and I appreciate your valuable inputs!

alex.lexes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 04:09 PM   #2
aquanauts
Algae Grower

Beautiful!
aquanauts is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 04:42 PM   #3
NotCousteau
Planted Member

Gorgeous. How did you get the moss to grow like that? Did you just throw it in there and let it take hold as it wished?
NotCousteau is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 05:49 PM   #4
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I'd love to see a flare photo of the betta, its hard to tell he's double tail 'relaxed'.
How aged was the tank before you added the oto and shrimp? Do you add algae and veggie supplements for them?
Though many people like to keep 1-2 otos in smaller tanks they really are a shoaling fish like cory and should be in groups of 6 or more in tanks 10g or larger to be stress free, solo or small groups they can get worried that some predator ate the others and hide more.
What is your tank temp? Otos generally prefer cooler waters (72-77F max) and a lot more flow and oxygenation than bettas. Also moss tends to do better in the mid 70sF and lower, though bettas like warm 78-82F range temperatures.
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2015, 12:26 AM   #5
alex.lexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanauts View Post
Beautiful!
Thanks for your kind comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCousteau View Post
Gorgeous. How did you get the moss to grow like that? Did you just throw it in there and let it take hold as it wished?
Thanks! Yup, I've had some excess moss after tying to the DW so i just left it there for them to grow on the substrate (gravel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
I'd love to see a flare photo of the betta, its hard to tell he's double tail 'relaxed'.
How aged was the tank before you added the oto and shrimp? Do you add algae and veggie supplements for them?
Though many people like to keep 1-2 otos in smaller tanks they really are a shoaling fish like cory and should be in groups of 6 or more in tanks 10g or larger to be stress free, solo or small groups they can get worried that some predator ate the others and hide more.
What is your tank temp? Otos generally prefer cooler waters (72-77F max) and a lot more flow and oxygenation than bettas. Also moss tends to do better in the mid 70sF and lower, though bettas like warm 78-82F range temperatures.
Hope its a bit more clearer now:

Its hard to see it in pictures but maybe I can take a video of him swimming around tonight.
The tank is around 6 months old, I used to keep a school of 8 cardinal tetra must I've shifted them to another tank.
Yes, I only got to know about keeping otos after buying it together with the shrimps. Won't make the same mistake next time! It has plenty of spaces to hide so its been doing well so far. They have been thriving on algae so far but I supplement them with sinking pellets from time to time.

I understand that it will be tough to find the perfect temperature for them, Singapore is a pretty warm country so I use an USB fan to keep the water temp at around 25C (77F) in the day.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:09 AM   #6
tamsin
Algae Grower

Very nice!
tamsin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2015, 01:50 AM   #7
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Otos (and shrimp) also like blanched veggies (may take a few tries to learn its food) many people feed theirs zuchini, cucumbre, lettuce, or spinach once in a while. Mine especially love zucchini and even eat the outer rind.
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2015, 04:50 AM   #8
Chizpa305
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Betta steals the show.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:15 AM   #9
kman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Lovely setup and a lovely betta!

Sounds like you're pretty well set up, although I would give serious consideration to a second Oto. I know you don't have much room for a whole school, but they really are happier with at least one friend compared to being alone.
kman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2015, 07:50 AM   #10
alex.lexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamsin View Post
Very nice!
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Otos (and shrimp) also like blanched veggies (may take a few tries to learn its food) many people feed theirs zuchini, cucumbre, lettuce, or spinach once in a while. Mine especially love zucchini and even eat the outer rind.
Hey, thanks for the tip! I will definitely try to make sure that they have yummy vegetable supplements!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizpa305 View Post
Betta steals the show.
Thanks! He didnt have such nice colouration when I picked him up from the shop, he was pale and pretty neglected. Its a steal really, he was heavily discounted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Lovely setup and a lovely betta!

Sounds like you're pretty well set up, although I would give serious consideration to a second Oto. I know you don't have much room for a whole school, but they really are happier with at least one friend compared to being alone.
Thanks! Maybe this weekend I can head down to LFS to get another oto to accompany my lone oto ranger.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #11
DizzyD
Algae Grower

Does the Betta chase the Amanos at all?
DizzyD is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2015, 03:25 PM   #12
alex.lexes

Hey guys, I've been having trouble posting and have already contacted the moderator for help. I'm gonna give it another try at posting.

To DizzyD: nope, i read online to introduce the shrimps first before the betta, which was what i did and i think it worked well. But I guess it also depends on the personality of the betta as well. Mine is pretty laidback and doesnt bother any tankmates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.