Red and Blue Monsters first day....
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old Yesterday, 12:05 AM   #1
Varmint
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Red and Blue Monsters first day....

Waldo and Diablo have been added to the twin Aquastyle tanks. The current occupants are Least and Brigittae Rasboras. I was very nervous about leaving them to battle the boys. Diablo has the biggest mouth I have seen on a Betta and the Brigittae Rasboras were tempting fate by schooling around his cup while I had Diablo acclimating to the tank.

I am happy to report that both Bettas (who have never seen another species of fish before), followed their new tank buddies around, but decided they are fun, not food

Waldo spent a lot of time exploring

He eventually found a spot on top of the log to conk out

Here's the tanks as of today

Hey Lady! Thanks for the new tank. Stop following me around with the IPad!
Varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 01:43 AM   #2
Nuthatch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice looking tanks! And the boys are handsome, too.
Am I correct in thinking that you aren't using the lids on those tanks? If so, why not?
Nuthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:25 AM   #3
Varmint
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuthatch View Post
Nice looking tanks! And the boys are handsome, too.
Am I correct in thinking that you aren't using the lids on those tanks? If so, why not?
The lids were off while we were helping the boys settle in. They have been in fish bowls for the past couple of months while we were cycling and recycling the tanks after deciding to trash the stock filters and get canisters. We wanted to talk to them and play with them from all angles to get them used to do much water, plants and rank mates.

The lids now fit poorly on the tanks due to needing an inch clearance for the cannister tubes and heater cords. We are thinking of locating someone to cut an inch off the back of the lids as they don't look good overhanging the front of the tanks.

I put the lids back on for the night. I had a Betta jump out of a tank a few months back. He died. I don't want to risk it happening again. Waldo is too fin heavy to jump, but Diablo is strong enough and nervous enough to be capable of jumping out.
Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM   #4
Nuthatch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

So you didn't like the filters that came with the tanks? I was thinking that they would be perfect for a betta, mostly because they didn't look like they'd move much water.

Wait, doesn't the light attach to the filter? How did you manage to make them work? They don't have any other power source.

Last edited by Nuthatch; Yesterday at 04:14 PM.. Reason: another question
Nuthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM   #5
Varmint
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuthatch View Post
So you didn't like the filters that came with the tanks? I was thinking that they would be perfect for a betta, mostly because they didn't look like they'd move much water.

Wait, doesn't the light attach to the filter? How did you manage to make them work? They don't have any other power source.
In regards to the stock filters, mine were super noisy. They sounded like rocks being crushed. Other people say the filters are quiet. I had a Rasbora problem too. Every time a Rasbora got spooked, it would swim up the back of the filter and get stuck and die. I lost 4 fish that way. My last concern is Waldo. He loves to stick to filters. His fins are super delicate and tend to blow out. If you look at his pictures, he is currently a delta tail, or rather a halfmoon missing the top half of his tail fin.

We figured out that you can detach the Rasbora murdering part of the filter and leave the base intact to the point that it is still safe and stable so the light still has a stand. You can see what I mean by looking at the picture where Diablo (the red Betta) is in front of the light stand.