Setting up nanonano tanks...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM   #1
m1231e

PTrader: (0/0%)

Setting up nanonano tanks...

My son wants to do a fish hybridization project next semester and thru the summer. I was thinking of using guppies and mollies (small size, short generation interval, will cross, easy to breed) and keeping them individually in upright 2L bottles (connected to a central pump/filtration system).

Thought about platys and swordtails but too big? Anybody keeping these in a half gallon?

What plant would be best to let float in each bottle? Are there any small egglayers I could use?

Thanks for any constructive advice. I've never kept tiny tanks!
m1231e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM   #2
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1231e View Post
My son wants to do a fish hybridization project next semester and thru the summer. I was thinking of using guppies and mollies (small size, short generation interval, will cross, easy to breed) and keeping them individually in upright 2L bottles (connected to a central pump/filtration system).

Thought about platys and swordtails but too big? Anybody keeping these in a half gallon?

What plant would be best to let float in each bottle? Are there any small egglayers I could use?

Thanks for any constructive advice. I've never kept tiny tanks!
Non of the fish you listed can be properly kept in that small a size tank(s) (2L-1/2g), they will have no swim room, it will not be fair to the fish.
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM   #3
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

+1 Waaay too small a space for these fish.

I've kept endlers in a 1/2g container, but males only (both for their tiny size and to prevent population increases from breeding) and *only* in a bowl or vase that was
a) moderately to heavily planted to help ensure good water quality
b) shaped such that it provided good surface area for gas exchange
c) of a size and shape to allow a minimum of 8x the adult fish's body length in swim room.
Knotyoureality is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM   #4
dpod
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

You need a bigger tank for just about everything you're thinking of trying .

Java moss, water sprite, and/or Egeria of some species are all good, easy plants that can grow without rooting. If you're looking for egglayers, Zebra danios are a classic, and they're used extensively in scientific research (look up zebrafish in the literature). Also, just to be clear, with any species of fish it's going to take several months for the fry to reach sexual maturity. According to wikipedia, it's 10-20 weeks for guppies and 3 months for zebra danios. You could also look into Endler's Livebearers, which are similar to guppies and stay even smaller. In any case, a 10 gallon or larger would be better.

I hope this works for you, but I don't see anything doing well in 2L soda bottles besides snails.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.