Nano tank stocking and questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-25-2015, 08:22 PM   #1
hoyfoys

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nano tank stocking and questions

Hello!

I'm new to this forum and Nano tanks. I previously had a 130L tank for 4 years, so I'm not completely new to fish keeping, but I had to sell it when my daughter was born.

As a result I needed something smaller and have just bought a 12"x12"x12" ( the quoted spec is 22L/5 gallon) Nano tank.

I've put black quartz substrate in it and while I'm doing a fishless cycle I've been marking a Java moss "tree", see attached photo.

I like Galaxy and Chilli Rasbora and would ideally like some dwarf Otos and shrimp but I'm nervous about water quality with such a small tank. The LFS have suggested the following:

6x Galaxy Rasbora
6x Chili Rasbora
2-3x Otos or 1 pleco
4-5x shrimps

I have the following questions:

1) It sounds like the fish above would make the tank overstocked so I'm tempted to go for the above without the Chilis. Any thoughts?

2) I want to make it look like a natural countryside scene (something like this http://www.adaaust.com.au/gallery/co...hoto/10a_L.jpg) so thought I might put use some dwarf hairgrass for grass clumps and moss on the substrate to resemble ferns. I'd like something different to what's on the tree and was thinking about flame or christmas moss, are there any recommendations for moss types?

3) I'd also like some rock clusters to break the grass up and bought some "ocean rock" that looked nice. However, I live in a hard water area with a pH of 8 so do not want a pH any higher. Will the "ocean rock" push the pH up? What other light coloured rock could I use that'd not affect the pH?

4) Do you have any other advice?

Many thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moss tree 1 Side.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	420298  

hoyfoys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2015, 10:42 PM   #2
clayman65
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

I would just do a single school of fish maybe 8 and the shrimp. The pleco would not be a good idea in a tank that small.
clayman65 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2015, 10:49 PM   #3
Ckent42
Algae Grower

Ya, 14-15 fish, even small ones, could be pushing it, especially with the stock filter and low plant level you have. A single larger school of fish would look good, and otos are always fun.If you want a little more fish variaty though you could look at other small fish that aren't schooling, like bumblebee gobies or scarlet badis. They are fine on their own and small enough to fit in the tank and not mess with the rasboras.
Ckent42 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 03:57 AM   #4
hoyfoys

Great, thanks so much for your help!

Do you think the following would be too much:

6-8x galaxy rasbora
1x Pygmy gourami
2x oto
4-5x shrimp

Thanks!
hoyfoys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.