10 gal reboot
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 09-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
thepresidentsdaughter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

10 gal reboot

I used to post on these boards years ago seeking advice about my then-budding planted tank hobby. Things got a little tough financially for a bit so I've been concentrating solely on the fish, only dosing fertilizers during weekly water changes for the few plants that bothered to stick around. Fortunately, all the tanks inhabitants survived a move to another state. Now that I'm settled, I would like to re-establish a life-like environment for my fish. A serpae tetra and kuhli loaches moved with me. I discovered a large fish supply store in my new town where I got two white skirts on sale for $2/each so the serpae would have some company (he seems to resent his new friends, though). My plan is to add 2 more kuhlis once my local Petsmart gets around to restocking them.

For plants, I have the same red crypt for about 3 years now and it constantly sends out shooters. The odd hygro is still growing here and there and where my rotala used to grow rather prolifically I now only have one very short stalk. There's a dwarf sword in the background (pics are attached) and a piece of driftwood that's a BGA-magnet. Within the last week, I've added a few anacharis stalks to try and combat some of the nutrients, forgetting of course that I tried this once upon a time and they just melted away. Lately, I've read how Flourish Excel does a number on anacharis; I could have been dosing with Excel at the time, but I can't remember.

Lights are two 13w CFL bulbs in a standard hood. Substrate is a sand/Schultz aquatic soil mix. I just set up my DIY CO2 about two weeks ago. The tank has been up for about 6 weeks. Temp stays between 80-82 degrees.

My objectives are to break the BGA cycle (it likes my tank way too much) and cover up much more of that substrate with some greenery. Plants I've tried in the past have been anubias, foxtail(?), water wisteria(took over the tank), java fern(I think these may have also been too prolific, so I removed them), some random aponogetons, and cambomba. None of these lasted for too long. I would appreciate any advice or comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10galfront9-14.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	370409  

Name:	10galleft9-14.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	370417  

Name:	10galright9-14.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	370425  

thepresidentsdaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
tmann51
Algae Grower

Default 3 strikes and I'm out?

I have a Fluval system tank, 33 gallon capacity, drilled with a 205 Fluval canister in the cabinet. I dose CO2 with a drip rate diffuser. I initially set this tank up with an Aquatic Life T5 (4- 24watt tubes) on a timer around 10 hours. I've used Eco-Complete substrate and various SeaChem products in various amounts. I like crypts and I plant them. I put it a couple dozen ammano shrimp and a dozen neons.
In a year and a half I've totally had to re-do this tank 3 times! In about 2 months everything is great, plants are lush, but then the algae usually begins on the gravel and that is the start of the end, in a few months I got green snot all over. I've make screen shades to put under the light, I've replaced the 4 tube fixture with 2 tubes. I've tried UV's even and am about to bail on the planted tank.
tmann51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:40 PM   #3
thepresidentsdaughter
Algae Grower

I'm glad I'm not alone in my frustration, tmann51. I keep trying to remember what I did nearly a year ago to get the plants going. I can't recall much else other than Co2 being very helpful, and I already have that going, so...
Daily Flourish dosing, maybe? That might cause an algae explosion, though. If you or anyone else has any other comments, I'll take them into consideration.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
thepresidentsdaughter
Algae Grower

Default Several discoveries

Schultz aquatic soil = low in nutrients and compactness, I have learned. Also, chelated fertilizers are practically superficial to rooted plants. Lastly, low-tech plants aren't, necessarily. I've learned a lot, which is *great*, b/c hunting around for practical, inexpensive solutions has been even better.

My light supply, nitrate/nitrite, and filtration have always been within acceptable levels, according to past research. Something was still off with the balance in my tank, obviously, because bga feels right at home in there. By process of elimination, it's gotta be the substrate. Changing it out or layering it over would have been a PITA, so I began exploring the possibility of root tabs, again. Only... they cost so much for the few you receive in a package. I know some on this forum use dry ferts and even make their own root tabs. In the process of exploring those options, I came across:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...substrates.php
where I read about time-release fertilizers, such as Jobes. You mean... the stuff I already have sitting around in my house for my terrestrial plants? $1 for a dozen or so sticks? That Jobes?? Why did I never think of that?

Even poking around these and other forums, I found that some people do indeed use broken-up pieces of Jobes plant sticks in the substrate. If buried deep enough, then they shouldn't even bother bottom-feeders (which I have). The type I have, the regular houseplant fertilizer (
Amazon.com : Jobe's 5001T Houseplant Indoor Fertilizer Food Spikes, 50 Pack : Indoor Plant Food : Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon.com : Jobe's 5001T Houseplant Indoor Fertilizer Food Spikes, 50 Pack : Indoor Plant Food : Patio, Lawn & Garden
) is low on P, even. So, three weeks or so ago, I broke off the very top of one of the shorter spikes in the package and buried them as deep as I could beneath the sword and hygro, since my kuhlis love to hang out beneath the crypts. Here's a crappy pic I took this morning:

The hygro has really taken off, as has the sword, albeit more slowly. I was so impressed that I added a few more pieces beneath the anacharis (which is just melting away again) and in the general vicinity of my poor little rotala, last week. So far, no sick fish, no algae bloom, and even the bga seems to cover less of the tank. Having a time release fertilizer in the substrate is an added bonus, since I don't have to worry about adding more for another month or so. Of course, I'm still dosing with flourish during cleanings, but once I'm done with the bottle then I may not buy another.

Meanwhile, my local Petsmart had these little guys on sale:

Advertised as 'Rainbow Gobies', the fish attendant told me they eat algae, yet will also eat whatever I feed the tankmates. I seriously doubted that if they're algae eaters. Nonetheless, there's currently plenty of algae of several varieties for them to snack on, so I got two for $5.49/each. Since acclimating them last night, they seem to be surfing my swords and driftwood quite happily. I was hoping they'd hang out with my kuhlis, since my closest Petsmart seems determined never to get them in stock, again. But, the kuhlis seem to be avoiding them, so far.

In any case, while researching more about the gobies last night, I came across this: "For long-term success itís thus essential to provide a mature aquarium with a plentiful supply of algae-covered rocks and other surfaces... Algal type is also important with diatoms, cyanobacteria (commonly referred to as blue-green ĎalgaeĎ" (http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/stiphodon-ornatus/)
Pump the gas... these things eat BGA? Can that be confirmed or denied? If that's true, then I hope they make themselves very much at home in my tank. Please stay forever, little gobies.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
Skeetz
Algae Grower

those gobies look awesome.
Skeetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #6
Islandgaliam
Algae Grower

I so know your frustration,I have been battling with my 20g tank for months. You name it, I had it - lol.

But! After trial, error, learning curves, and hand surgery in the middle of it, I have switched fertilizers to PPS-Pro and red clay tabs. The difference in 2 weeks has been amazing. And, the PPS-Pro was only $30.00 and will last a very long time, maybe 6 months to a year? I guess I will find out - lol.

I have a few diatoms on the staurogyne repens and Casper, my albino bristlenosepleco takes care of the algae on the driftwood.

I also changed my light/co2 schedule to 5 hours on, 4 hours off, 5 hours on, 10 hour off, with co2 on one hour before the light.
Islandgaliam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
thepresidentsdaughter
Algae Grower

Thank you, guys, for sharing. I really hope I have found the hidden formula for my tank. I'm very happy with my decision to add the gobies; they are turning out to be even more entertaining than the loaches. Unfortunately, I seem to have lost one. Haven't seen the smaller of the two since yesterday morning. Last time this happened, a loach hopped into the HOB and got stuck there. Well, I checked that: no goby. Also checked the floor underneath and around the tank. I'm hoping he's just buried himself under the substrate for the now and will show up again, eventually. The other goby is just having a great time in there. Wonder what happened to his friend?
If anyone else has any experience with lost gobies then I would appreciate your input.
Old Today, 01:52 AM   #8
thepresidentsdaughter
Algae Grower

Default Update

I refreshed my DIY C02 after a cleaning, went away for a weekend, and came back to this:

I'm astonished. This tank is actually starting to look like something. Plants are taking off, fish are happy and healthy.... but there's still something off about the balance because the BGA, though lessened somewhat, still won't go away. Moreover, my gobies aren't consuming it as much as I hoped they would.
Technically, I know I don't have to vacuum the gravel, since the gobies like it mossy. However, I can't stand the look of it. I've allowed it to grow on the driftwood and rear of the tank, just in case they want something to graze on. Still, I hate the appearance, and the fish are finding some other type of algae to eat, anyway. I'll likely just began siphoning it all out again during cleanings. Grows back in no time, anyhow.

Also, I failed with the anacharis, again. This is all that's left:

I don't understand why it won't last in my tank, but ah well. Won't waste anymore money on buying more.

Meanwhile, a few more pics of the gobies, just 'cause. Some of the best fish I've ever owned, I gotta say. Cute as can be + they swim like little bumble-bees in the water. I'm never bored by them.

Quick pic of my "planted" office desk tank, too. Complete with one african dwarf frog.

Last edited by thepresidentsdaughter; Today at 03:20 AM.. Reason: sp