Switching water conditioners?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 08-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
MapleValley
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Switching water conditioners?

When I purchased my first tank and filter it came with Nutrafin cycle and Nutrafin aqua plus. As I added three more tanks I stuck with these water treatments. As I got into plants I noticed all the great reviews were for Seachem. So now I am using all Seachem products (excell, flourish and purigen) minus the two water conditioners. I am wondering if I should change to Prime and if that is the only thing I need? Also wondering how to go about the switch from one to the other? ??

Thanks for your help in advance : )
I have found endless valuable info on this forum and am so thankful!

Also this is my first time posting...I have an algae and ph question as well..should I make new threads for each question?
MapleValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
Axelrod12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Most use prime as a water conditioner. It is concentrated so typically you get much more of it for your money. It can also detoxify ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate present in your tap water as well as chlorine. No special process for switching over, just start using prime.
Axelrod12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I only use Prime for any saltwater tanks I set up, for freshwater I only use Tetra AquaSafe. The reason is I tried to overdose a goldfish in a 5 gallon bucket with a full bottle of AquaSafe and it didn't work, the fish still lived. So ever since then it's the only water conditioner I'll use on freshwater tanks.
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
Lornek8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx View Post
I only use Prime for any saltwater tanks I set up, for freshwater I only use Tetra AquaSafe. The reason is I tried to overdose a goldfish in a 5 gallon bucket with a full bottle of AquaSafe and it didn't work, the fish still lived. So ever since then it's the only water conditioner I'll use on freshwater tanks.

I used to have problems with overdosing Aquasafe. I typically don't measure when I add it, just put it in. On some occassions I noticed my MTS climbing the glass and water get clody following a water change. I narrowed it down to the Aquasafe for whatever reason. Never had this type of problem with Prime. I still on ocassion use Aquasafe if I can't get Prime, I'm just more careful to use it a near label dosages.
Lornek8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #5
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

To get the right 'cycle bacteria in a bottle' look for Nitrospira species of bacteria.

To lock up the chlorine and ammonia (from chloramine or other) do the math and figure out how many gallons of treated water you are getting for your money.
A few years ago I did this, and found that Prime and Chloramine Buster were the best buy.

I use Chloramine Buster, and measure it out with an eye dropper marked in .1 ml increments.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:49 AM   #6
MapleValley
Algae Grower

Thanks so much for all the feedback! : )

My tank has been going for little over three months and it's freshwater. I am only wanting to treat the top off water when doing weekly water changes. We have good well water and I am not sure if chlorine is a problem? ?? Was hoping Prime alone would be a better answer than the other two together.

Also when I started I got the nutrafin water test kit. For months I got a perfect reading on PH of 7. Upgraded to a API test kit and now find my PH is 8.2. Is this safe for the fish? They seem fine (flashing here is there is my only concern). The tank has lots of plants and a piece of hollow wood, I also added peat moss but that did not lower it any.
MapleValley is offline   Reply With Quote