CO2 poisoning plants?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 08-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Tvadna
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

CO2 poisoning plants?

Is it possible to poison plants with too much CO2?

I have a newer 10 gallon that has exploded with growth for a few weeks. I got greedy and upped the CO2 and skipped a day with the lights and my dwarf baby tears/water sprite turned a white-yellowish color.
I figured it was the CO2 and putting in an air stone to lower the level of co2 and after two days the tips of my dwarf baby tears started to show some green again.

Anyone have any similar experience?
Tvadna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

No....maybe the plants are growing too fast and you don't have enough ferts and nutrients to supplement their growths. So, they starved and showing signs of deficiencies....

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

There are studies with plants exposed to 10,000 ppm CO2...I really doubt that the levels you achieved were toxic. I think like mentioned above there was a deficiency exposed at higher CO2 concentrations.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
Tvadna
Planted Member

The deficiency theory makes sense since the light is really high and so is the CO2. The growth could literally be measured in centimeters/day.
Here is the difference in the tank. Hopefully you'll be able to see the change and maybe someone can identify the deficiency. The pictures are about a week apart.

The old growth yellowed and is dying. The new growth at the tips of the dwarf baby tears is coming in more green.

Last edited by Tvadna; 08-05-2013 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 08-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvadna View Post
The deficiency theory makes sense since the light is really high and so is the CO2. The growth could literally be measured in centimeters/day.
Here is the difference in the tank. Hopefully you'll be able to see the change and maybe someone can identify the deficiency.
If you'll begin dosing EI in the recommended amounts you'll not have to worry about identifying any deficiency other than a carbon deficiency.
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

The colours seem to be washed out, looks white in the 2nd pic. A few of my plants turned white, complete white. I searched around and found out it was due to calcium deficiency.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #7
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

if you get that color this is normally lack of N or Fe, when you have enough of those two i suggest adding extra Mg.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #8
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

I suppose it could become so acidic that it destroyed the plants. It's not likely to happen in your tank, though.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 02:05 AM   #9
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

This forum topic is very helpful:

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aq...st-plants.html

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 04:08 AM   #10
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
I suppose it could become so acidic that it destroyed the plants. It's not likely to happen in your tank, though.
There is a lower limit on how low the pH can be dropped by adding CO2. As I recall, that is around 5 pH, which isn't nearly low enough to bother the plants. As you add more CO2 when the pH is around 5, the added CO2 is in solution in the water, but no more of it is converted to carbonic acid, so the pH doesn't drop any further.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #11
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
There is a lower limit on how low the pH can be dropped by adding CO2. As I recall, that is around 5 pH, which isn't nearly low enough to bother the plants. As you add more CO2 when the pH is around 5, the added CO2 is in solution in the water, but no more of it is converted to carbonic acid, so the pH doesn't drop any further.
+1

i have ran very high co2 and no ill effect on plants, starting Ph was 6 without CO2.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #12
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I thought that might be possible too, just was speculating based on the theoretical.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
Tvadna
Planted Member

Here is an update. I found by gh/kh was 12 and 15 degrees. I changed half the water and got it down to about half of that.

Also started dosing dry ferts.

Scaled the CO2 back quite a bit so the drop checker is a light green.

The result is the extremely fast growing dwarf baby tears that had turned white are dying off. The tips of them are coming back the correct color of green. All of that rapid new growth went to waste though...

I'm guessing that my problem was a lack of nutrients to keep up with the available light/CO2 I had available. I also started EI dosing the dry ferts in the rest of my tanks and am shocked by the growth and pissed at myself for not doing ferts years ago...

Is it just me or... Do they make a world of difference once the light/CO2 are met?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.