Big' Ole Bog-wood
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 11-15-2012, 01:31 AM   #1
RobMc
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Talking

Big' Ole Bog-wood

So I'm sitting on a 20 gal that I have some diabolical plans for *rubs hands together* and I happened upon a marshy area with an ungodly amount of bogwood. I was on the clock...so I scurried in, grabbed what I could and tossed it in the truck.

Opinions? Ideas?

PS: Yes that is a window - it's east facing and only gets early morning light for ~2 hours, I'm hoping to incorporate this into the lighting schedule for the tank.

PPS: Yes I was allowed to bring that into the house. No, I'm not married.
RobMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 02:47 AM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Beautiful wood! I have found anything that tall will dry out when it is in the tank, though. Any way you could plumb it, run a water line up inside then allow it to trickle back into the tank?
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:04 AM   #3
RobMc
Planted Member

Interesting idea - thinking of ways I could drill the wood out.
Ty

plumb it, have water trickling down and tie some pothos to it. Kind of like thin film aquaponics...

Maybe someone can chime in with some plants that grow well on wood.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (54/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Beautiful wood! I have found anything that tall will dry out when it is in the tank, though. Any way you could plumb it, run a water line up inside then allow it to trickle back into the tank?
i think that adin did that in his journal. i believe its Adin...III, maybe II though.

btw, that is a SWEET piece of DW.

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
zzrguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You need a much tall tank a nice hexagon off of CL maybe

29gal
zzrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
Twillz
Algae Grower

Have you identified the moss attached to a couple of those pieces?

Depending on humidity level, and if you do wind up trickling water down the larger piece, you might look into adorning the section above the water line with some smaller orchids, tillandsia ("air plants"), and other humidity-loving epiphytes. Perhaps draped with some longer, hanging mosses? You can often easily find some varieties in the indoor section of local greenhouses. Could be very beautiful!
Twillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Or just have some anubias or java fern creeping up and out of the water and all over that wood.

if only you could get a hanging light above it though, you could probably do some seriously sick things with that piece
HybridHerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

If you do pump water up and have it trickle down over the wood, you could probably grow most aquatic mosses (or even terrestrial) on it pretty well. If you leave it dry, and just occasionally water it, you could probably go with almost any houseplant.

I've done some planted pieces of drift wood and old weathered wood before.

Right now, I've got a big chunk of driftwood in a pot, and I stuffed all the holes with potting mix, and then planted them. most are doing pretty well. The plants that seem to be doing the best currently are (sorry, I don't know the latin names for these, just the common names):

Staghorn Fern (really cool plant, I highly recommend it to anyone)
Hoya (grown a lot, but it's prone to getting mealybugs)
Rabbit's foot Fern
Strawberry Begonia
Spider Plant
and some type of Pothos
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:27 AM   #9
RobMc
Planted Member

I'm really attached to this idea now - thanks for all the food for thought guys.

I've found a 130 watt 24" coralife light which I'd like to hang above the aquarium.

My plan is to use a 29 gal tall (30" long vs 24", same depth of 12") ontop of the stand with the 20gal from the images resting on the lower shelf. I'd like to then have an overflow box siphon water to the lower tank through a 3.5' long 4" PVC drip/canister of pure biomedia into the lower tank which would act as a sump / shrimp breeding tank. I'll have a low wattage light and grow mostly java-moss, a dark substrate will be used to enhance coloration. I figure some of the fine mechanical debris from the main tank will be eaten by the shrimp, and be filtered / caught by the java moss - and the shrimp will have the most filtered / stable water directly from the canister. The larger water volume will also mean less PH shift / nitrate buildup.

The top (30x12) tank will be a low-tech dirt with miracle gro organic choice / worm castings / clay with a "filter sand" cap. Plenty of the bogwood. Right side planted mostly with anubias / java ferns. Left side planted with a variety of stem plants.

Additionally, in the rear, right corner I'd like to make a small raft and float baskets of hydroponic media to grow peace lillies and/or pothos. I'll run a small waterline to the top of the driftwood to trickle down. I'll take the advice on moss and cover the log with it.

Since the window receivers early morning light, mostly in the red spectrum I think I can get away with an actinic bulb and a 10k in the suspended fixture.

Algae is my biggest concern.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
RobMc
Planted Member

New tank / new scape

Old 11-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
RobMc
Planted Member

Haha oh boy... I may have made a grave error - we'll have to see.

I..uh...well I used bleach and water to sterilize the bog-wood... I think the concentration was too high.

I was originally going to use play-sand as a substrate - but now if I do use this wood I think I might have to use something darker.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The wood still looks good. Any updates?
The Fraternity of Dirt #144
WestHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I love your driftwood and suspect this is going to be one cool looking tank, but I must say that the rim on your tank is a big visual handicap. Seems to me that when you want to scape above the line, you have the best case for a rimless look that I know. Just sayin'.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bogwood